Tetsudo Fan magazine

bikkuri bahn

The April issue now out on stands in Japan is the 50th anniversary issue.  It has a nice retrospective of developments in Japanese railways over the last 50 years, including the "romance cars", Tohoku Shinkansen, chopper control EMUs, lightweight carbodies, inverter control, etc.

http://railf.jp/

What is this, some kind of tease?  :grin They're costing ~$25 per issue, plus shipping, through Kinokuniya.  I'm desperate for a cheaper source, but I don't think I'm going to find one.  I have January and I'd like Feb - Apr as well.  The April Tetsudo Journal looks good, too.

Mine's on the way from HS, Y1143 + 1380 shipping, Paypal deducted AU$31.31. I usually get three magazines, (Railfan, RM Models and Hobby of Model Railroading) in one package to spread the shipping but this month's had to come in two packages as one was too heavy for SAL, possibly the special issue of Railfan is heavier than normal.

Sounds like an interesting issue.

Mine's on the way from HS, Y1143 + 1380 shipping, Paypal deducted AU$31.31. I usually get three magazines, (Railfan, RM Models and Hobby of Model Railroading) in one package to spread the shipping but this month's had to come in two packages as one was too heavy for SAL, possibly the special issue of Railfan is heavier than normal.

HS is already sold out of April Railfan  :sad:

HS is already sold out of April Railfan  :sad:

I always put in my order as soon as they open reservations.

Guest Closed Account 1

Just reserved 06459-05 Japan Railfan Magazine No.601. Which month is that?

Since the US model railroad magazines don't really cover Japan Rail, which magazine do I want and are there Japanese, European Rail calendars?

Just reserved 06459-05 Japan Railfan Magazine No.601. Which month is that?

Since the US model railroad magazines don't really cover Japan Rail, which magazine do I want and are there Japanese, European Rail calendars?

601 will be May '11.  Tetsudo Fan and Tetsudo Journal are my favorites, Rail Magazine is good too, excellent photography.  I don't know too much about calendars, except that the January and February issues of Tetsudo Fan had them.  January always does, I'm not sure if December/February vary.  Also, the February one might be a small book-type calendar, where as the insert in January was the kind you'd hang on the wall or fridge.

If the question is about separate train calendars, not ones attached to the magazines, from about September or October, Japanese bookstores, including the large ones like Sanseido and Kinokunia have a section devoted to calendars and they have a few on trains. The are fairly large, printed on good stock paper with excellent photos in very good color, unless it's a retro SL in B/W. I haven't looked at them for a few years. There might be a decline in selection of calendars produced in recent years, though, judging from the shrinking area devoted to calendars noted at Kinokuniya or Tokyu Hands.

Rail Magazine has an excellent little calendar they issue every year, color pictures of steam locomotives in the 60's and 70's (real working JNR steam, not tourist/preserved).  Interesting about the reduced numbers of floor space devoted to calendars.  Perhaps people are buying fewer b/c they can easily check their dates on their cell phones. Also, pocket schedule planners are extremely popular in Japan.  One problem is that calendars are classified as books, and as such by law are not allowed to be discounted.  So you have the ridiculous sight of full-price calendars on display well into January.  If I were a bookstore owner, I'd try to keep my excess inventory down as much as possible.