When is a bullet train NOT a bullet train?

The_Ghan

Two things:

1/ Grey TGVs? I've never heard of those, I was born with the orange ones.

tgv.jpg

Looks kinda grey! ^_^

Of course, like for many people Shinkansen is 0 series, TGV is probably orange only! :-)

Hitachi's A-Train, 500 Series Shinkansen and Siemens Velaro are all designs of Alexander Neumeister.

Have a look:

http://www.neumeister-partner.com/en/projects/transportation

Thanks!!!

This guy is my new hero!!! :-)

Two things:

1/ Grey TGVs? I've never heard of those, I was born with the orange ones.

tgv.jpg

Looks kinda grey! ^_^

But those are not the first TGVs! This is their second livery when the LGV Atlantique opened in 89/90.

@the bullets travelling at the speed of sound: most bullets do in fact go faster then the speed of sound (at muzzle velocity), but 4.5's don't :P Anyway, it's much much faster then a train, so not really logical to me. Then again, I'm not a high-speed train fan at all.  :cheesy

Funny because now this is one of my favorite trains and I find that BMW make the most hideous cars.  :grin

True that. Ever since the mid-1990's things took a downfall in the BMW design-lab, with probably the deepest point being today's line-up.

Reading through this thread, and others, the initial likes for particular types of trains reminds me of a saying I heard many years ago, that the first version of a piece of music you hear (or take notice of) becomes the standard you judge others by. Perhaps this observation also applies to experiences in life and especially to our interest in trains, football teams, cars, women (??), and although something better always turns up, the initial impression becomes a fondness over the years.  :))

Angus

@the bullets travelling at the speed of sound: most bullets do in fact go faster then the speed of sound (at muzzle velocity), but 4.5's don't :P Anyway, it's much much faster then a train, so not really logical to me. Then again, I'm not a high-speed train fan at all.  :cheesy

My Anschütz 9003 (4.5mm/.177) clocks around the ISSF regulation 180m/s bullet speed. Hardly a good comparison with a super-duper-fast train... :grin

Cheers NB

Yep, that orange one is the real TGV.

My experiences traveling around France in 2008 was that the TGVs when running on their separate, Shinkansen like, LGV lines were reasonable punctual, but away from the LGV the rest of the SNCF left me wondering if any employees actually owned a watch. There seemed to be a rather laid back attitude to timekeeping with passengers waiting at a station for almost two hours of announcements about their train getting progressively later seemingly unconcerned about the whole affair and resigning themselves to their fate.