Report from Model Train Expo in Melbourne, Australia

serenityFan

I just went to the Train Expo in Frankston (a suburb in Melb) today.

It wasn't too big, maybe half a dozen layouts, however I was surprised to find that one of the layouts is a modular japanese rail layout! It had unitrack with japanese houses & buildings, maybe tomix, maybe kato, not sure, and also some japanese buses and cars. It's kind of late now, I'll post some pics tomorrow....

-Andy

No, it's not that one, I would love to see that one but doesn't look like it's coming to Melbourne.

The one I saw yesterday is modular like the T-Trak system...

Check out this picture, you should be able to see the module edges:

DSC_9149_resize.JPG

And some more detail of the houses/cars:

DSC_9194_resize.JPG

DSC_9195_resize.JPG

-Andy

Okay, I'm moving to Australia! I find it interesting that there is more about the Japanese RR in Australia than in the USA. (Well the Aussies are closer)

What a nice club and I like the modulars they have made.

Bill, is this club run by the same guy who also sells trains in Australia?

CaptOblivious

Back on topic...

The movies Bill turned up are quite nice. Are these N-Trak modules, or built to a different standard? They do a really nice job of evoking the air of modern rural Japan, the same sort of ambiance I'm hoping to capture in my new layout.

Here's something I'm particularly interested in: What do you suppose they used to model the retaining walls? A pedantic question, except I'm going to be modeling something very similar very shortly, so of interest to me anyway...

Back on topic...

Here's something I'm particularly interested in: What do you suppose they used to model the retaining walls? A pedantic question, except I'm going to be modeling something very similar very shortly, so of interest to me anyway...

It could be Greenmax 21-2 stone wall C.  These look good but the pieces are not very big and you only get one piece in a package.  But its only 180 Yen.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10016151

There is also a stone wall B and a stone wall A.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10016150

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10007598

Greeting all,

The photos of this layout that was taken is indeed the Australian Japanese Model Railway Group (formerly known as Suzuran), the building that are in the photos are of Kato, Tomix, Tomytec and Greenmax. The members build up their own modules but following the standards created by KATO.

If you want to see more photos or know more about the Austrealian Japanese Model Railway Group can be found on their website: http://www.ajmrg.org.au

• Like 4

Back on topic...

The movies Bill turned up are quite nice. Are these N-Trak modules, or built to a different standard? They do a really nice job of evoking the air of modern rural Japan, the same sort of ambiance I'm hoping to capture in my new layout.

The modules are more like T-TRAK but with the tracks centered on the module rather than to the front. The group posts on the Australian T-TRAK Yahoo group from time to time.

I like the module with the loop of track above the mainlines.

Some gorgeous work on those module and layouts. I'm going to be spending a fair bit of time going through all the photos...

On the behalf of the Australian Japanese Model Railway Group, we say Thanks.

We (AJMRG) menbers do sometings do post comments to the Australian T-TRAK group but that is to show our T-TRAK modules, (I should know as I am mainly the one who does it :P) and we are found on the Australian N scale and N scale Australia Forums to give out suggestions or even to get local advice on certain local products.

Have fun going through the photos as we will be adding more photos from our Japan Festival soon as I am waiting for the CD to come in withthe latest photos of the T-TRAK and J-Modules (KATO Standard modules)