Parts Question

Bernard

There is a little rod that has prongs on a circular ball that runs from the motor to the driving gear trucks on most Kato trains. What is the name of this part (sorry I don't have a photo) and where can you order more of these rods? (This is one part that can easily be lost when taking a Kato train apart and it would be nice to have a few extra on hand.)

CaptOblivious

Kato USA calls those "drive shafts". The circular ball thing is the universal joint. You can see one dangling to the left in this photo: http://www.katousa.com/images/929354.jpg

The particular drive shaft you need is model-dependent, and the instruction sheet that came with your model should indicate the part number for it. I'm having difficulty tracking anything useful down on the web right now, so I'll take a look at some of my Kato instruction sheets when I get home to show you where to look if you need help finding it.

Don.

Thanks. One of the major problems is that even if you know the part number, where do you order the part. I looked in Hobby Search under Kato parts and didn't see any drive shafts listed. I wouldn't mind having a variety of drive shafts on hand just in case I lose one.

CaptOblivious

Looking at various diagrams, at least of what small amount of Kato stock I own, you can't get the axles on their own. You have to buy the entire truck, which includes the axle. Not a big deal at about 1800JPY each, but you still have to find a supply :D

Any luck getting in touch with Kato USA or Kato Japan directly about it?

Martijn Meerts

For Kato parts, I would try contact MG Sharp. They're helpful and as far as you can believe them an official importer of Japanese Kato trains in the UK. If what they claim is true, they should be able to order parts for you ;)

alpineaustralia

Alternatively, you can try popendatta (japan). They have plenty of parts and I know they stock trucks of alltypes because I have purchased trucks from them for my 500 series.

Alpine - I just tried googling popendatta (japan) and came up with nothing. Do you have a website for them? This is a great find because the last time I had to deal with Kato directly it took awhile for an answer and when I finally got and answer it came back as a form letter.

BTW your decoder installs look great and thanks for the step by step photos, many members will benefit from them!

Don - I've put it on hold on an order until I can get Upstate and do an inventory of possible other parts I might need and submit one big order. I'm fine with drive shafts but I don't have any extras of this part. What made me think of doing this was when I took apart a train to install a decoder, a drive shaft fell to the floor and took a lot of time to find it. I realized that it would be a good idea to have extras on hand (along with traction tires, couplers, etc.) 

CaptOblivious

Well, now I need Kato parts, and I really understand your suffering! I ordered the add-on to Kato's E231-500 Yamanote line, and both pantographs were broken! I'm trying to work things out with the seller (come_to_good on eBay), who, so far, is being really great about it. I'm hoping he can get me the parts from within Japan. Otherwise, I'm going to have to make an expensive overseas phone call...

I have successfully repaired kato drive shafts by using tomix drive shafts! they do seem pretty interchangeable if you have the right lengths! parts are a problem to get here in the states. katousa seems to go in and out of getting any parts for japanese trains. seems to change each year...

also some pantographs from tomix which there are a few of on hobbysearch could probably be fit to tomix models if need be.

cheers,

jeff