Tattoo ink wells

cteno4

heres one for your small painting. tattoo ink wells. you can get tiny disposable cups used for tattoo ink that you can put a few drops of craft paint in while doing detail painting.

doing little paint jobs i use to do a drop or two of acrylic craft paint out on a piece of plastic, small artist well pallet or just a piece of cardboard. problem is it tends to start drying out very fast and gets thick and gooey very quickly. i had tried the little 0.5oz snap cap ink wells, but these are messy and also tend to dry out pretty fast so you are constantly opening and closing them.

these are tiny, only about 9mm and 12mm across, so a few drops of paint in there has little surface area and stays fresh a couple of hours. you can also extend this by putting a patch of scotch tape on the top as well.

also find its easier to mix a nice small amount of a color in a pot like this, stirring with a tooth pick rather than trying to do it with a brush on the pallet well. i just use a fresh tooth pick to get a dab of color i want to add and then stir it in well.

at like 1.5 cents per well they are pretty cheap and you can reuse them by soaking them and then popping them in the ultrasonic cleaner.

what do you hold these little gems in you say? well you can either roll your own holder with a block of wood or plastic with some holes in it or 99 cents will get you a very nice little metal holder as well!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.Xtattoo+ink+holder&_nkw=tattoo+ink+holder&_sacat=0&_from=R40

cheers

jeff

Edited by cteno4

also just got a second kind of these. all one piece with 9 small wells and 2 medium ones. 10 for $2. these are more like a deep painters pallete than the separate little ink well cups. paints will probably dry faster in them. figure they should clean out well with soaking. just another inexpensive option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250774037514&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

cheers

jeff

tonerzone123

also just got a second kind of these. all one piece with 9 small wells and 2 medium ones. 10 for $2. these are more like a deep painters pallete than the separate little discount ink well cups. paints will probably dry faster in them. figure they should clean out well with soaking. just another inexpensive option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250774037514&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

cheers

jeff

This is great! By the way, do you know some sort of illuminating ink? The ones that glow in the dark.. Thanks!

ive seen various glow in the dark paints around, but never given them much notice. craft store always has some.

glad you found them useful. ive loved them for painting, i just pop a piece of tape on the top and the paint dollop stays wet, that doesnt happen using a pallet. i looked at one of the wet pallets, but my sister in law who does a lot of acrylic art painting thinks they dont work so well and are more trouble than they are worth so probably even more of a hassle for a little hobby painting!

quick goggle search brought up these guys who look like they specialize in it

http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2

now that i think about it, it would be fun to use some of these on carnival ride models!

some of the luminescent paints will also show up in visible spectra with UV lighting so you can use it to fake neon lighting and small colored bulbs.

cheers

jeff

ive seen various glow in the dark paints around, but never given them much notice. craft store always has some.

glad you found them useful. ive loved them for painting, i just pop a piece of tape on the top and the paint dollop stays wet, that doesnt happen using a pallet. i looked at one of the wet pallets, but my sister in law who does a lot of acrylic art painting thinks they dont work so well and are more trouble than they are worth so probably even more of a hassle for a little hobby painting!

quick goggle search brought up these guys who look like they specialize in it

http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2

now that i think about it, it would be fun to use some of these on carnival ride models!

some of the luminescent paints will also show up in visible spectra with UV lighting so you can use it to fake neon lighting and small colored bulbs.

cheers

jeff

These are really awesome. I tried this.

lane,

did you try the uv light trick? if so any pictures? really curious to see as i eventually want to do a lot of amusement park stuff and would be fun to do this as n scale is pretty small for doing a lot of tiny lighting easily.

cheers

jeff

lane,

did you try the uv light trick? if so any pictures? really curious to see as i eventually want to do a lot of amusement park stuff and would be fun to do this as n scale is pretty small for doing a lot of tiny lighting easily.

cheers

jeff

NO man.......never tried.....looks really interesting....!!! Good luck!!