Whats in a User ID?

cteno4

I'm another of the "it's my name" camp.  It's just my first name suffixed with my last initial.  I tend to use it on fora where I want to have an identity, as opposed to a label suitable for a couple of posts before I run out of questions or things to say and move on.

I actually considered using SumidaCrossing as my name when I first posted here, but decided it was a bit redundant with a signature pointing to my layout's website.  Besides, layouts come and go, and by the time I first posted I'd been lurking as a guest for more than six months, and was planning to stick around for a while.

Ken

qwertyaardvark

back in the day (8 years ago) , when i was in love with C++ computer programming class, a textbook we used in class continuously used either "qwerty" or "aardvark" as example strings when explaining concepts (like ASCII values, sorting, searching, etc) so i just smashed the two words together and have been using that as one of two online identities since then.  :grin

I once was a Store Manager in Domino`s Pizza in Copenhagen, thats where i got my id  :cool:

regards

Domino

Brian

LOL love it brian!

jeff

Thanks Jeff.

by the way, how are things coming along with the photo and text for my website ?

regards

Brian

I once was a Store Manager in Domino`s Pizza in Copenhagen, thats where i got my id  :cool:

regards

Domino

Brian

LOL love it brian!

jeff

talk about ships in the night! just pmed you i got behind and will get you something this weekend.

cheers

jeff

Simples really,is my user name on some of my car forums-Into Japanese Cars and used to own 2 Kei vehicles, both Subaru- now down to 1 Kei car a 2007 R2 and an old 1994 imported Impeza WRX.

131211_129318610465840_100001631046618_184076_5036092_o.jpg

i bought a ford F-550 and my mother said "WOW thats a bigford"

What's it cost to run that thing?  :grin  I once noticed a JR West 221 series pulling 450 amps as it departed Osaka on Yamatoji Rapid service.  With 1500DC from the catenary, that's 675 kilowatts, or something  ???.  I suspect an F-550 is similar.

Nick_Burman

My ID needs no explanation - Nick is short for Nicholas and Burman is my surname. My mother and a few friends call me Nicky, my father used to call me "Mr. Toad" or just "Toad" because he claimed that as a toddler I resembled the characted from The Wind in the Willows. Some friend call me "Sir Nicholas", "Sir Nicky" or "Sir Burman" because I'm (half) British (or "Pommie Pommy" as Mark Newton, westfalen and kin would put it... :grin). Another couple of nicknames are "Nickypedia" and "Burman Encyclopedia" because of my supposed powers of infinite knowledge that I'm supposed to possess (at least my friends claim that I have...). :grin

Cheers NB

Edit: I stand corrected. Thanks Mark.

Apparently, Nick, your powers of knowledge are not infinite. The singular term is "pommy", "pommies" is the plural!  :grin

All the best,

Mark.

Nick_Burman

Apparently, Nick, your powers of knowledge are not infinite. The singular term is "pommy", "pommies" is the plural!  :grin

All the best,

Mark.

Actually, its about rail knowledge, not grammar! :grin But thanks for the correction. :icon_thumleft: I first heard this expression from a NZ modeller/model train manufacturer who came to Brazil late last year...took a while for me to catch the meaning of it...

Cheers NB

• Like 1

i bought a ford F-550 and my mother said "WOW thats a bigford"

What's it cost to run that thing?  :grin  I once noticed a JR West 221 series pulling 450 amps as it departed Osaka on Yamatoji Rapid service.  With 1500DC from the catenary, that's 675 kilowatts, or something  ???.  I suspect an F-550 is similar.

it use to cost $60.00 to fill up the two tanks  now it's about $110.00 :sad:

it use to cost $60.00 to fill up the two tanks  now it's about $110.00 :sad:

And it keeps going up  :BangHead:

@bigford:

How big is the tank of your car? Here in Germany you will pay 1,50 € / liter.

To my nickname:

usually I use "tramspotters" as my nickname in forums. My website is called www.tramspotters.de

In the japanese forums I use "Tosaden" as my nickname. Tosaden is the name for the Tosa Elektric Railway of Kochi, Japan. I used this name because the type 600 of the Tosaden was my first japanese model.

Nick_Burman

Kumo is japanese (雲) for cloud.

That explains then why every time I run KuMoHa in Google Translator I get "CloudHa" in return! :grin

Cheers NB

• Like 1

I used to model a ton of 1/24 cars (mainly Japanese and exotics). My first name is Clement, but most call me Clem. Usually just "clem" is taken, so I add in the 24.

Actually, its about rail knowledge, not grammar!

Fair enough, then. I'd rather have rail knowledge than grammer knowledge any day! :grin

I first heard this expression from a NZ modeller/model train manufacturer who came to Brazil late last year...took a while for me to catch the meaning of it...

That would be right, it's a term widely used by the Kiwis as well.

Cheers,

Mark.

There is a little story behind my user ID "Sir Madog".

Some years ago, my wife and I went on a trip to visit the "Great Little Trains of Wales". To compensate her for the endless hours of riding and watching trains, we went to a souvenir shop in Porthmadog, where she also spend endless hours rummaging to their offerings. She finally ended up buying a T-shirt with a Welsh Dragon printed on it for my son, and a toy sheep, which is slightly out of proportion, but "so cute". As both of us are well into our fifties, bying a toy sheep other for someone other than our not yet born (or even conceived) grandchildren is a little odd. Anyway, that beast was given the name of "Sir Madog" (the full title being Sir Madog of Abergenolwyn), not knowing that there is a character with that name in  Welsh mythology.

Somehow the name stuck on and I am now using it as the ID for those forums I frequently visit.

Wales08_2006_066.jpg

• Like 1

The Ghan is a wonderful passenger train service that bisects Australia from top to bottom.  The Ghan runs between Adelaide in the south, through Alice Springs in the heart of the country, to Darwin on the north coast.  You can read more about it here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghan and here http://www.gsr.com.au/site/the_ghan.jsp.  Even with the new locomotives, its a two day trip one way.  Well worth taking and breaking your journey for a few days at a time along the way.

My avatar is one of the old locomotives, NSU 56.  She was delivered on December 31st, 1956.  The sad old girl was abandoned at Marree after her last run, sometime in 1980.  You can climb all over her, if you're game, but she has been badly vandalised.  Check this link if you want to read about the NSU class loco: http://www.derbysulzers.com/australiabrcw.html.

I hope you find The Ghan as interesting as I do.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Guest Closed Account 1

Web Skipper was created with a little levity to replace the plain title of Web Master.

It's on my ceramic mug at the local brewery Pub! The mug club.