Whats in a User ID?

cteno4

just wondering what/why folks use in their Userids.

Ill start with mine

cteno4 is short for ctenophore (pronounced Teen O four)-- comb jellies from the phylum ctenophora

is from my old unix id way way back in the early days when sys admins would not let folks do any userids that spelled anything and had to have a number. im dyslexic so random userids i would chronically forget, so this was a trick to get by them as the sys admins never had any biology background.

cheers

jeff

bill937ca = bill (me), 937 (the number of a New Orleans streetcar in a framed photo that hangs on my wall) and ca (is for Canada).

I did this because I would set up ids and then forget them in my early days on the internet.

bill937ca = bill (me), 937 (the number of a New Orleans streetcar in a framed photo that hangs on my wall) and ca (is for Canada).

I did this because I would set up ids and then forget them in my early days on the internet.

just dont change your decor!

jeff

• Like 1

Man I can't wait to read some of the explanations in this thread?   :cheesy

My first name is Michael, but when I started joining forums I couldn't use my 1st name because someone else already had used that ID.....and I've come across this problem too many times, so I went with my middle name and it stuck.  

Hobby Dreamer

Hey Jeff... I always wanted to ask..

A lot of hobby forums have "arrogant types" so if you are a newbie they remind you of that each time (even though they know nothing about you except that you are new to the hobby).

I wanted a "friendly" name that reflected that I have higher aspirations than ability. I like a lot of hobbies and, in fact, its the diorama part of this hobby that I like the most.

But this forum has been great. I'm not really into Japanese trains yet no one puts you down for that and there is a helpful camaraderie here. After all, its about fun. And you guys know that!

I also had some "dreams" about N scale because its a nice scale for limited space but a lot of U.S. stuff, in particular,  is of questionable quality. So I dreamed there would be figures, vehicles, lighting etc because those are the items one can always add on..

And guess what... there is a ton of nice stuff... mostly Japanese!!!!

Rick

I wanted something Japanese but not something too obvious.  There is a chain restaurant here in Hokkaido called "Bikkuri Donkey" (the surprised donkey), and to get another "B" sound I added the German word for railway.  I like it because the Japanese railway scene is always surprising, never boring.

I wrote several paragraphs to explain this and realized I have problems  :grin  Basically, I'm a fan of Kansai/Chugoku, usually rode JR West, and I'm into the aesthetics of Chinese characters.  Although JRW writes Miyakoji as みやこ路, I tend to think of it as 都路, which I find appealing in appearance.

'Toni' is first name and 'Babelony' is a nickname I got when I was in middle school.

At first I didn't care about it, but it kinda grew on me. Another nickname was 'Montana', but that doesn't really fit me at all. I'm more of a person interested in ancient history, rather than a Cuban coke dealer. :grin

Kumo is japanese (雲) for cloud.

I love this symbol: free, soft and moving in the wind.

This is also the name of my website: loriskumo.com.

Loris being my name! ^_^

PS: for the record, I had this name before Microsoft "kumo" project witch turned out to be Bing.  :grin

CaptOblivious

Mine is a nickname I earned in college. I have an attention disorder, and can be prone to failing to notice ... a lot of my environment, esp if I am focused on something highly salient to me.

My forefathers came to Australia from the Westfalen area of Germany just before WW1, the family name Kathagen was changed to Kathage by dropping the 'n' so it didn't sound so German as Germans weren't that popular at the time. A branch of the family owned coal mines in the Ipswich area called Westfalen Collieries, when I built an N scale layout the coal mine on it was given the same name and my railroad eventually became the Westfalen and Gulf.

I started using my real name online because I could never find a username that fit, and because, between having very little social life and being anonymous online, life was getting a little too impersonal for me.

Well my name's Graham, and in University people started to call me Grum (no reflection on my mood, they were just lazy!

Then when I was teaching game design, when starcraft came out, I beat the living daylight out of my students in the first few games we played and they awarded me the moniker of beast, which soon became grumbeast, and I've been that online ever since (I guess since 1996 or so)

so grumbeast it is.

Graham

Claude_Dreyfus

No my name is not Claude; it is Nick. The origins are not particularly interesting, but nevertheless...

A number of years ago we were in a rather flash French restaurant, and Mrs Dreyfus took a liking to a very Gallic young waiter. After the usual banter...'there's no way I'm letting you run off with him; he wouldn't agree to sale or return!', I suggested that he was probably called Claude or some such like, and since that point it has become a bit of a joke name between us. The Dreyfus came a little later to emphasise the 'Frenchness', which is odd really as I don't have any particular affiliation with France, although I did like the Pink Panther films as a kid, so that name Dreyfus probably stuck in my mind.

Claude has proved to be a bit of an alter ego in websphere, being a common thread throughout the various forums (fora/forii?) I am a member of.

Hi

I was able to transfer my User ID from another group.  Fan of the Boston Red Soxs since 1978 plus the name could be used for a British 1930s suburban station on a layout.

My other main interest is BR Southern Region locos etc.

Real name is Malcolm and there appear to be few Japanese enthusiasts down here in rural Gloucestershire.

Hi

I was able to transfer my User ID from another group.  Fan of the Boston Red Soxs since 1978 plus the name could be used for a British 1930s suburban station on a layout.

My other main interest is BR Southern Region locos etc.

Real name is Malcolm and there appear to be few Japanese enthusiasts down here in rural Gloucestershire.

Fenway how did you get interested in the Boston Red Soxs? When I lived in England in the late 70s when I tried to explain baseball to my friends they just couldn't understand it.

1978 was a great year for my team, I'm a NY Yankee fan. The Red Soxs - Yankee rivalry is one of the best in all of sports, there have been some classic games played between these two teams.  

It's my name  :grin and at pushing 50 y.o. it's about the only thing I'm guaranteed to remember.

"red zebra" is one I also use when I feel "less comfortable" on a forum and wish to remain a little more anonymous, so you can assume that, despite my complete lack of knowledge, I feel comfortable here  :cool:

This has been very interesting, keep them coming!

i find reading these helps me build a little better picture of folks on the list ive corresponded with. always helps in this virtual world! was fun to finally meet rich c in person the other weekend! looks like we get to meet martijn in april as well!

cheers

jeff