Freight Operations

bill937ca

Railmind' date=' I'll be scanning and posting that material for you shortly after the 23rd of December, which is when I move into my new house. Things are a bit hectic at the moment, as you can imagine! Most of my library is already packed up and ready for the move.[/quote']

Mark, I can understand the situation quite well, as I've been moving at least once every 6 months during the past several years, and keeping track of various railway-related magazines, print-outs, and other materials has become difficult if not impossible. So I wish you fast moving and happy living in your new home!

Bill (and Mark too!), thank you very much for the links and the info on the Gakunan Tetsudo Line. That is a good example of a multi-purpose railway line in Japan, so difficult to find and still working till the present day. The track plan is especially informative, as it contains different possible configurations of shunting sidings, passenger and freight stations, even interchange tracks! At last, a Japanese version of the Inglenook sidings (or is it Gakunan Sidings now?) becomes possible!

Mark, I would be delighted to read the material that you have referenced. I really enjoy online publications of Japan Railway and Transport Review, and they published a series on JNR history, which later became the book that you mentioned. The freight operations are unfortunately not covered in the online version.

I wonder if the new book on early Japanese Railways (Early Japanese Railways 1853-1914: Engineering Triumphs That Transformed Meiji-era Japan) has anything on the subject. I haven't found neither reader reviews nor headings of chapters, so I wonder if anyone here can tell whether the book is really as interesting as it seems.

Right, FINALLY, I'm moved, unpacked, settled, and I've got my broadband connection working again! Railmind, if you'd like to contact me off-list with a mailing address, I'll send you copies of the magazine and book articles as promised.

I bought Dan Free's new book for myself as a Christmas present, and I'm glad I did. While it doesn't specifcally cover freight operations of the period, it does provide a very succinct historical background to the development of Japanese railways. I personally have found it very interesting, and would recommend it without hesitation. I think the illustrations alone are worth the purchase price...

All the best,

Mark.

CaptOblivious

Right, FINALLY, I'm moved, unpacked, settled, and I've got my broadband connection working again! Railmind, if you'd like to contact me off-list with a mailing address, I'll send you copies of the magazine and book articles as promised.

I bought Dan Free's new book for myself as a Christmas present, and I'm glad I did. While it doesn't specifcally cover freight operations of the period, it does provide a very succinct historical background to the development of Japanese railways. I personally have found it very interesting, and would recommend it without hesitation. I think the illustrations alone are worth the purchase price...

Congrats on getting moved in!

Could you tell us a little more about this book? It sounds interesting, but I wouldn't know where to start looking for it or if it's really something I want.

Could you tell us a little more about this book? It sounds interesting, but I wouldn't know where to start looking for it or if it's really something I want.

I can't find this book anywhere looking online, help?!

I found it!    :o  :D  ;D

In stock at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Early-Japanese-Railways-1853-1914-Engineering/dp/4805310065

Also available on Amazon.ca and Amazon.uk!   ;D

Full price at Powell's Books:

http://www.powells.com/biblio?show=HARDCOVER:NEW:9784805310069:65.00

Just Google this and you get oodles of sources!   

Early Japanese Railways 1853-1914: Engineering Triumphs That Transformed Meiji-era Japan)

I found it!    :o  :D  ;D

In stock at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Early-Japanese-Railways-1853-1914-Engineering/dp/4805310065

Also available on Amazon.ca and Amazon.uk!   ;D

Full price at Powell's Books:

http://www.powells.com/biblio?show=HARDCOVER:NEW:9784805310069:65.00

Just Google this and you get oodles of sources!   

Early Japanese Railways 1853-1914: Engineering Triumphs That Transformed Meiji-era Japan)

Cr@p, that's expensive!! I've added it to my wish list.

where are you living now Mark?

Still at Waterfall, we've just bought a house about 250 metres up the hill from our old rented place. Apart from anything else, the new place has a great view from the kitchen window...but the carport has to go! ;D

yw92mj.jpg

All the best,

Mark.

Thanks. I hope I never have to do it again, though. I can't belive how many books and magazines I had to pack!  :-\

I got mine from Amazon, but as Bill noted, it's fairly widely available. I don't know whether you interested in the early history of the Japanese railways, but if you are, it's a book that's very well worth having.

The prologue gives an overview of Japan before 1853.

There are eight chapters dealing with the introduction of railway technology, railway planning, building the first railway, extending and integrating the system, the railway's role in the Russo-Japanese war, nationalisation and self-sufficiency.

A number of appendices detail topics such as Meiji-era non-goverment lines, gauges and representative lines, IJGR loco numbering schemes, railway shamon, locomotive naming, lamp and disc codes, Meiji-era liveries, railway and geographic lexicons.

Illustrating the text is an extraordinary collection of contemporary photos, postcards, maps, artworks and drawings. Naturally, most of the illustrations are of steam locos, but there are some early views of electrified lines and tramways as well. Not only are the varuous illustrations of technical interest, many are quite beautiful in their own right.

As I noted above, the book is primarily a history text, but I'm very glad I bought a copy. I've found it fascinating.

All the best,

Mark.

Cr@p, that's expensive!! I've added it to my wish list.

I suppose it is, but I think it's worth it. I've enjoyed it greatly, and learned much that was new to me.

A big part of how I enjoy the hobby is to have a good reference library at home, and to that end I've been collecting Japanese railway books now for a few years, ever since the business with the 38er and the cricket ball -

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,236.msg1456.html#msg1456

- and now the Japanese section on my bookshelves outnumbers everything else.

It's never worried me to spend money on books, if nothing else they are an investment if looked after properly. When I lost interest in modelling US prototype I sold many of my US railroad books, and I was surprised at how much I was able to get for some of them! (All hail eBay...  :D)

Just before Christmas I got the two volumes of Wally Higgins Showa30 photos of Japanese railways - they're absolutely beautiful. Again, they weren't cheap, but the quality of the books is outstanding. If any of you have an interest in Japanese private railways of the sixties, I strongly recommend these books.

All the best,

Mark.

One model freight scene that has been around for a while for those who haven't seen it.

And some others.

More prototype

The link below was created by a student living in Japan around 2000.  Some of the other pages on this web site are unmaintained, so be advised.  If you want to keep the info it might not hurt to print it.

Particularly since it's a GeoCities site.

This thread points out why Japanese railways took so long to snag my attention. A proper railway has freight service and switching.

The Gakunan looks more like my type. And when I see EF65s and 66s, I'm reminded that, yes, there is something interesting left after steam.

The link below was created by a student living in Japan around 2000.  Some of the other pages on this web site are unmaintained, so be advised.  If you want to keep the info it might not hurt to print it.

Particularly since it's a GeoCities site.

This thread points out why Japanese railways took so long to snag my attention. A proper railway has freight service and switching.

The Gakunan looks more like my type. And when I see EF65s and 66s, I'm reminded that, yes, there is something interesting left after steam.

I'm sure a good number of railfans in Japan share your sentiment.  Frankly, we suffer from an embarassment of riches when it comes to passenger rail (especially EMU's), so the modern scene may be even mundane for some.  This, coupled with those who have a memory of the more diverse, "railroady" JNR days drives the interest in the freight "tetsu" sub-category.  In a way, the relative scarcity of freight operations adds to the thrill of the chase.  That's why you see more fans with the giant white lenses congregate regularly in places like Nishi Urawa to photograph freight rather than places where passenger trains dominate.

Prior to 1984, when JNR stopped handling carload freight, many of the private railways had freight service, switching and interchange traffic. In most cases they used locos to haul dedicated freight trains, but some lines simply coupled a single freight car to a passenger EMU and away they went. A great prototype for even the most space-starved modeller.

Cheers,

Mark.

A double header.

晴天の四日市は霞ヶ浦。やってきたのは899号機と1804号機の重連でした。

"Four days of clear weather Kasumigaura City. The issue came in 1804 was 899 aircraft and the aircraft weight sequence."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOaGRc-gRMM

Seems like a rather short train for double heading.

Loaded tank cars can have a bit of weight in them, a twenty car train in the US would probably have a pair of GP38's or similar locos, a lot of trains that size here in Australia these days have two locos as well. Don't forget also that on passenger oriented JR freight trains need to keep up with passenger trains, the extra power would get you up to track speed quicker.

A double header on a short train could also mean that the second engine is being deadheaded to some other depot or will be needed on the return trip with more cars.