"Bull Nose" on the ballast

Nick_Burman

Chitetsu "Bull Nose" hauls ballast hoppers around. Some of the "hi-tech" railroading :grin seen on the beginning of the first film is very interesting...

Cheers NB

• Like 2

Chitetsu "Bull Nose" hauls ballast hoppers around. Some of the "hi-tech" railroading :grin seen on the beginning of the first film is very interesting...

Cheers NB

Interesting loco. I like about 2:30 when the guy sees something in the distance and runs off.

Yes, interesting locomotive.  Toshiba, 1958. Originally built for the Kurobe Dam project.  What's notable is that it uses Minden-Deutz type springs on its bogies, quite common on passenger stock, also here, but not on locomotives.

• Like 1

Nick,

thanks much, very nice videos. gave me a nice little mow idea! couple of hoki 10000 are pretty close to these ballast hoppers with some mods and a small engine and a few HO scale brake wheels! this could be fun.

also love the ramp for loading ballast via the dump truck. another nice little yard scene to model!

thanks

jeff

Nick,

thanks much, very nice videos. gave me a nice little mow idea! couple of hoki 10000 are pretty close to these ballast hoppers with some mods and a small engine and a few HO scale brake wheels! this could be fun.

also love the ramp for loading ballast via the dump truck. another nice little yard scene to model!

thanks

jeff

Tomix make a two car set of hoki 800 ballast hoppers, they are shown in the current catalog but I don't think they've been made for a while.

Guest JRF-1935

Westfalen -

You are correct.  Tomix made the Koki 800 Ballast wagons #2777 in pairs and they are sold out.  However I've found 2 sets on ebay @$29.99 per set.  This might seem a little high to some, but Ace_of_Bicycle in Japan has 1 set listed for $59.99 (plus $15.00 shipping).  I am bidding on both ( a***h  50 stars ) but if any one would like to bid, let me know so I don't bid against you.

Rich C

I had forgotten about that one! i had bid on one a while back on ebay. newhall and ace are at $60, no thanks. perhaps i will think on this one, its much better suited as its the prototype!

thanks

jeff

Yes, interesting locomotive.  Toshiba, 1958. Originally built for the Kurobe Dam project.  What's notable is that it uses Minden-Deutz type springs on its bogies...

That's interesting to learn, I didn't know it was built for the Kurobe dam. Was it originally 762mm gauge? I've often thought this loco would a fairly straightforward kitbash using the Tenshodo Toshiba 40-tonner as a basis, since it appears to be simply a streamlined version of these locos. The bogies are shown here:

http://rail.hobidas.com/bogie/archives/2008/07/tt53_12021.html

Thanks, and all the best,

Mark.

Yes, interesting locomotive.  Toshiba, 1958. Originally built for the Kurobe Dam project.  What's notable is that it uses Minden-Deutz type springs on its bogies...

That's interesting to learn, I didn't know it was built for the Kurobe dam. Was it originally 762mm gauge? I've often thought this loco would a fairly straightforward kitbash using the Tenshodo Toshiba 40-tonner as a basis, since it appears to be simply a streamlined version of these locos. The bogies are shown here:

http://rail.hobidas.com/bogie/archives/2008/07/tt53_12021.html

Thanks, and all the best,

Mark.

Shouldn't think so for a moment, it's waaay too big to fit into Kurotetsu's tunnels. The loco must have been built for handling Kurobe Dam traffic on the Chitetsu.

Cheers NB