Streetcar Named "In Development" - Your City's Light Rail Project

Guest Closed Account 1

Really amazing 3D animation, lots of details. Being a New Yorker and dealing with heavy city traffic, I always wonder if Trams will cause traffic tie ups?

Guest Closed Account 1

LOL. I was 5 when I had to move from Brooklyn. I remember the Subways in the 70's. Doubt the cabbies will stay out of the Tram Express only lane.

Here is Tucson, the cabbies will respect the Trams because do to the migration of terrible drivers, they have traffic tickets for everything and traffic cameras to help the fuzz.

Being a New Yorker and dealing with heavy city traffic, I always wonder if Trams will cause traffic tie ups?

Not, the idea behind mass transit is to ease up traffic. They are here two transport more people than a single lane dedicated to cars. And actually the problem is much more on how can we avoid for surface transport to be tied up in traffic. And this where BRT and LRT (for you americans) comes into play.

Are they taking out two traffic lanes to dedicate them to the tram or must they widen the streets? What would motorist reaction be if they are removing the two lanes? That must be close to the alternate street level idea proposed in Honolulu.

Best wishes,

Grant

The main reason given by the pro-car/bus mayor for the removal of trams from Brisbane in 1969 was the delays and obstruction to traffic. Other vehicles couldn't pass a tram while it was stopped as all the tracks were in the middle of the street and the passengers waited on the curb so when a tram was picking up or setting down passenger a string of traffic built up behind it, but now we have more buses than we ever had trams and you have to give right of way to them when they are pulling out from a bus stop so we're no better off, and you knew a tram was going to stay on it's tracks, it wasn't going to change lanes without warning pull out in front of you.

Martijn Meerts

I recently found an old photograph in the basement which showed some tram tracks in the city I live in. It was a bit of a surprise as I'd never known there were ever any trams here at all. I think the picture was from around the early 50s, and according to my father (who was a teen back then), they had already been taken out of service. Might have been a casualty of the war.

Never did try to find out more about it actually..

Guest Closed Account 1

I finally got to sit outside the restaurants today before the Chinese New Year Celebration at the UofA, and watch downtown life during the day. Always there at night. I was taking mental notes of the details for my own Tram layout.

The Old Tram that was recently restored and put back into service takes up the center lane. It did not hinder or impede car and pedestrian traffic.

A multiple car Tram will definitely help mass transit although they are more of a novelty.