Translations, please

brill27mcb

I though I would create a topic area for help with translations from Japanese, for those of us who are ... challenged.

Can anyone (or anyone's wife or girlfriend) translate what makes a piece of Tomix rolling stock qualify as "High Grade?" A bmp file of the write-up from their catalog in Japanese is attached.

My son actually found a Japanese optical character recognition (OCR) translator, and for laughs here is the best it can come up with:

"LCD touch-axis control is made of clean power ton snapper ear close to the vehicle in accordance with [  ] Hanawa, especially in the bottom and keep touching the product specifications."

Huh?  :grin

Any help greatly appreciated!

Rich K.

HighGrade3.bmp

"We are a train products company that thoroughly examines the product specifications for each part in order to create highly accurate reproductions that are true to the original."

We produced some earlier translation versions that were positively transcendental and mystical!

Many thanks for the understandable translation! It sounds like there is no standard of what makes a Tomix product get the "High Grade" designation or not, at least in that text. I'll keep digging around...

Rich K.

We produced some earlier translation versions that were positively transcendental and mystical!

Many thanks for the understandable translation! It sounds like there is no standard of what makes a Tomix product get the "High Grade" designation or not, at least in that text. I'll keep digging around...

Rich K.

Well, it sounds to me like they get the actual technical documents for the prototype from the train manufacturer and work off those to make their High Grade models, instead of simply working from photographs and manual measurements.

Here's another translation request. Looking to understand these descriptions of early Tomy (pre-Tomix) freight cars. This is the list mentioned by Rich C. in the "Wanted" topic area, and comes from the Tomix Modelers' website.

Tomy%20box%20back%20l.jpg

Again, any help greatly appreciated! I have incorporated the earlier translation and a previous forum discussion on Tomix "High Grade" rolling stock into an added webpage on the site about the "High Grade" products.

Rich K.

Made in Hong Kong (upper right)

Kokutetsu (JNR) freight car series

1. covered wagon wamu 50000

2. open wagon tomu 50000 (gondola)

3. refrigerator car re 2900

4. flatcar chi 1

5. refrigerated container car komu 1 (white) *flatcar

6. regular container car komu 1 (green)  *flatcar

7. tank car tamu 6000 (silver)

8. tank car tamu 6000 (black)

9. conductor room attached covered wagon wafu 28000

10. open wagon tora 55000 (gondola)

11. stock car ka 3000

12. covered wagon wamu 23000

13. ventilated wagon tsumu 1000

14. coal wagon semu 8000

15. conductor room attached open wagon tomafu 1

16. bogie covered wagon waki 1000 (planned release)

17. bogie autorack ku 5000 (planned release)

18. bogie tank car taki 3000 (planned release)

• Like 1

4. flatcar chi 1

11. stock car ka 3000

14. coal wagon semu 8000

Many, many thanks! This is great to have...

Rich K.

Well, it sounds to me like they get the actual technical documents for the prototype from the train manufacturer and work off those to make their High Grade models, instead of simply working from photographs and manual measurements.

They probably do what everyone else does.. They just get a monthly subscription to Tetsudo Fan and get measurements from pull outs!

BTW for anyone wanting to go from English -> Japanese, try this:

http://www.translationparty.com/

Basically it uses Google's own translation engine to translate something back and forth between English and Japanese until it reaches "equilibrium" - i.e. when both Japanese and English have the same meaning. It's pretty neat but it *will* choke up if you give it a complex phrase. Some results can be downright hilarious.

I think a lot of our problems are that most of the railway oriented things we want translated are rather technical and a long way from the usual 'What is the time of the next train to osaka?' or 'I wish to buy an umbrella' that you find in phrase books.

Sometimes when I ask a Japanese friend to help with a difficult railway-related kanji reading, she can read it (usually but not 100%) but have no idea what it means- actually more often than not once I hear it and see it in context, I recognize it based on my knowledge of railway terms and operations.

Guest JRF-1935

4. flatcar chi 1

11. stock car ka 3000

14. coal wagon semu 8000

Bikkuri Bahn

Thank You!  As Rich K stated this is most helpful and I am glad for the info to be posted here, and on the Tomix site.  My question is  - How do you read this, and translate?  I have downloaded the Kanji and tried to translate the text, but to no avail.  What am I missing in reading the Japanese symbols?

Thanks,

Rich C

With railway technical terms, it doesn't translate well often.  In this case, the model designations, komu 1, ka 3000 etc. in conjunction with freight car "貨車" are helpful.  A search using those terms usually comes up with the correct types, often with a picture. Sometimes the designations are logical, yet amusing in a way- for example, no.13, the ventilated boxcar, is called a 通風車 (tsufuu sha) or literally, "air passing through car".

I think a lot of our problems are that most of the railway oriented things we want translated are rather technical and a long way from the usual 'What is the time of the next train to osaka?' or 'I wish to buy an umbrella' that you find in phrase books.

"I wish to buy a tsufuu sha."  Well, "air passing through car" is probably more socially acceptable than "air passing through person."  :cheesy

On a more serious note, I located a photo of freight car Tomy 18:

http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/tomy/Tomy%2018%20Tank%20Car%203000.jpg

Can anyone tell me whose logo that is on this car?

Rich K.

Here's an image from the 1987 Tomix catalog. I would like to know what the red "stamp" says. Every freight car with that stamp did not appear in the next catalog I have (1990), so I'm guessing it means something like "to be discontinued" but I don't know. Any help appreciated...thanks!

Rich K.

post-448-13569927113293_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing it means something like "to be discontinued" but I don't know.

That's correct, "生産中止" means interruption / termination of production.

I'm guessing it means something like "to be discontinued" but I don't know.

That's correct, "生産中止" means interruption / termination of production.

As far as I can tell, those models with a red stamp ended up as Kawai products!

Angus

ok here is one that has sparked some curiostiy on the Pompa train. MA has a small block of text in japanese which hopefully is some background on the pompa train

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig03/10037238k.jpg

HS has some history in its description, it could just be the MA text or hopefully is a bit more info.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10037238

thanks

jeff

That train prototype dates from approximately 1970/October to 1971/June, in conjunction with JNR's "Discover Japan" campaign, Hitachi was also commemorating their 60th anniversary.  This train was a promotional vehicle for Hitachi's home appliances and electronics, aimed at a children's audience.  The C11 was not in steam, so the train had to be propelled by some other locomotive.  Car#2 was a generator car, and cars #3~6 were the promotion cars.

ok here is one that has sparked some curiostiy on the Pompa train. MA has a small block of text in japanese which hopefully is some background on the pompa train

HS has some history in its description, it could just be the MA text or hopefully is a bit more info.

thanks

jeff

That train prototype dates from approximately 1970/October to 1971/June, in conjunction with JNR's "Discover Japan" campaign, Hitachi was also commemorating their 60th anniversary.  This train was a promotional vehicle for Hitachi's home appliances and electronics, aimed at a children's audience.  The C11 was not in steam, so the train had to be propelled by some other locomotive.  Car#2 was a generator car, and cars #3~6 were the promotion cars.

Interesting that at that time it's possible there could have been a still in service steam locomotive as motive power on some legs of the tour. Another thought, I wonder if when they were moving from town to town they pushed or pulled the train, from a safety and operating aspect pulling would seem the most likely.

thanks

jeff

Interesting that at that time it's possible there could have been a still in service steam locomotive as motive power on some legs of the tour. Another thought, I wonder if when they were moving from town to town they pushed or pulled the train, from a safety and operating aspect pulling would seem the most likely.

Yes, I thought the same thing.  Kyushu and Hokkaido especially, were still quite steamy then...The train apparently embarked on a nationwide tour, stopping at approximately 200 stations included in the "Discover Japan" campaign.  This blog has some pictures of the train stopped at Sadamitsu Station on the Tokushima Line in Shikoku.  The train was being hauled by a DE10.  The blog mentions the C11 was missing its main rods.

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/yosakoi_soran/17627589.html