Buying Trains and the Wife (A murder story)

keitaro

My dad wants a model layout upstares, my mom wants to make a living room (kinda for me) where my dad wants to make his layout.. but.. then again, me wants a model layout up there and... of course a Japanese one... but thats never gonna happen since my dad only wants to make a German/Dutch one... he says that a border station between Germany and Japan won't work  :sad: well, at least i like dutch trains too... :grin

but to be honest, I don't really think there will be a model layout any soon... since my mom has more power in this household than anyone else in the house... (even the dogs listen to her! they won't listen to my dad lol :laugh:)

Guest Closed Account 1

My dad wants a model layout upstares, my mom wants to make a living room

Too easy. Construct the train layout around the perimeter at pub counter height (46+ inches-1200mm). Sure it'll be a shelf, and there's still plenty of room for creativity. Even more room to be clever because every inch counts. Cut the board's outer edge in a wave pattern so there is no formal straight line.

Its low enough to enjoy on bar stools and high enough to fit a couch underneath. Voila!

Add a Horse and Carriage in the scenery and anything else your Mom would like.

good luck i have a compulsive buying disorder.

Oh yeah? Beat this. In the last month, I've bought:

- Archos 5 500GB

- $100 portable headphone amp

- 1/22 Dickie RC bus from Germany

- 1/24 Losi Rock Crawler

- Just last night, $1400 for 1/14 Tamiya RC lorry set

- $800 worth of trains from Popondetta

- $80 from HS

- $100 worth of buildings from HLJ

- >$150 of books from Amazon Japan

- New rims for my car ($1250)

- Pre-ordered both HOT7000 (ok that was technically a month + a week) plus whatever else I have on preorder (700-8000 set I think??).

LOL I wonder how I am still married. But then again I also sold off a whole bunch of crap on eBay but still...

check you mail i pm'd you my bank details $3500 us please :p

My dad wants a model layout upstares, my mom wants to make a living room (kinda for me) where my dad wants to make his layout.. but.. then again, me wants a model layout up there and... of course a Japanese one... but thats never gonna happen since my dad only wants to make a German/Dutch one... he says that a border station between Germany and Japan won't work  :sad: well, at least i like dutch trains too... :grin

but to be honest, I don't really think there will be a model layout any soon... since my mom has more power in this household than anyone else in the house... (even the dogs listen to her! they won't listen to my dad lol :laugh:)

Okay, if you feel up to it, design a floor plan (on graph paper or computer software) for the upstairs room showing your parents the space where you want to have the layout. Figure out how much space you will need for the layout...this is a great idea and project for you and your father to work together and learn about building things.

There is another benefit of this learning process, latter in life you will come across situations where simple repairs in your home will have to be done, modeling helps you form these skill and you won't have to call a repairman to do these tasks, you'll be able to do it yourself.

As a parent, I would be impressed that you took the time and effort to design a plan for the room.

Good luck and I hope you and your father get to build your dream layout! (Also there is no rule on what type of trains you want to run on a layout, Dutch, N. American, Japanese, Antarctic, etc....just as long as you run them!)

Wow, this is a dagerous thread..  I've been lucky, the missus controls all the money and I get a small monthly allowance that take a few months to save for a single boxed set, but it works for us.  and I should add, that I work for her sometimes doing sound design for her films, now this she pays me for seperately and I get to spend it all on trains! (my day job money goes straight to her, I haven't known how much I earn for the last decade!)

So I get  akind of feast or famine approach, the do get delivered at home and she shows some interest, but often rolls her eyes and says "are you ever going to finish a layout?" 

One last plug tho, we were in Cologne christmas time and she did get me a beautiful fleischmann e119 e-lok with 6 rather lovely passenger carraiges to go with which did set her back a pretty penny, she knows of my fondness for early european electrics so I'm not complaining!!

Graham

My dad wants a model layout upstares, my mom wants to make a living room

Too easy. Construct the train layout around the perimeter at pub counter height (46+ inches-1200mm). Sure it'll be a shelf, and there's still plenty of room for creativity. Even more room to be clever because every inch counts. Cut the board's outer edge in a wave pattern so there is no formal straight line.

Its low enough to enjoy on bar stools and high enough to fit a couch underneath. Voila!

Add a Horse and Carriage in the scenery and anything else your Mom would like.

well, my mom kinda hates modeltrains, because my dad spent more time on them than her.. (Well, thats what she believes anyway) we already had a nice model layout upstairs, but after my dads hart attack, she managed to talk him into selling all the stuff. my dad worked on that layout for 6 years, but it never got finished. well, a new Layout will come again, its just the question when. we still need to make a track layout and stuff. it will be coming again. it's just a matter of time ;)

well good luck.

I'm about to start looking in the market for a house. Me and My Wife (i.e. Me) have decided to look for one with a big secure Shed out back so my current little board is only the begining  :evil4:

having said that i need to ensure mine is finished by may.

N E W S    F L A S H  ! ! !

Earlier tonight wife ordered me to stop buying trains until I've expanded my layout to accommodate all the formations I've purchased thus far!

I asked her, "Does that mean I can buy some more board, track, and take up more of the granny flat?"  :dontknow:

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .  I think I've got a bruise !!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Claude_Dreyfus

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .  I think I've got a bruise !!!

Get a few drinks into her and then bring it up again.

The risk there is that it might end up as a murder story!  :grin

When I was trying to find out what the Nankai Rap:t was, disturbman sent me a link to HW Japan who had 1 left.  I showed it to the wife and she told me to live a little and buy it. As much as I wanted it, it didn't fit my layout theme so I decided not to buy it. Last night I went to look at it again and it was sold out. Oh well...or so I thought.  Today I went to check my email and my wife had left her account open and there was an email from HW Japan.  Curious I had to open it up,  she had bought the last Nankai Rap:t.  I can only hope it is for me...HAHA Time will tell, but at what price. ;)

• Like 3
Martijn Meerts

When I was trying to find out what the Nankai Rap:t was, disturbman sent me a link to HW Japan who had 1 left.  I showed it to the wife and she told me to live a little and buy it. As much as I wanted it, it didn't fit my layout theme so I decided not to buy it. Last night I went to look at it again and it was sold out. Oh well...or so I thought.  Today I went to check my email and my wife had left her account open and there was an email from HW Japan.  Curious I had to open it up,  she had bought the last Nankai Rap:t.  I can only hope it is for me...HAHA Time will tell, but at what price. ;)

Where do people find all those wifes/girlfriends who go about ordering trains for them? Is there a special dating site for that? =)

Where do people find all those wifes/girlfriends who go about ordering trains for them? Is there a special dating site for that? =)

LOL LOL LOL, thanks for the morning chuckle martijn!

how about starting a service? Trains4Love.com, TrainMatch.com, eShinkansen.com

cheers

jeff

My dad wants a model layout upstares, my mom wants to make a living room (kinda for me) where my dad wants to make his layout.. but.. then again, me wants a model layout up there and... of course a Japanese one... but thats never gonna happen since my dad only wants to make a German/Dutch one... he says that a border station between Germany and Japan won't work  :sad: well, at least i like dutch trains too... :grin

Sounds like you need to build a double layout - identical benchwork, but at 2 different heights. One for Japan, the other for Germany. If it's DCC they can even share most of the equipment (even more so if only one operates at a time, to conserve amps).

No such thing as no you can't have it dear in this house.

I have a couple of half finished projects on the dining room table, my small british outline shunting layout is on the bedroom windowsill and I have even got my 12year old grandaughter building an A4 sized diorama.

Guest JRF-1935

cheers

jeff

ROTFLMAO - I'm In !! Sign me up. 

Rich C

Ok martijn we got our first customer! you start the mysql db and ill work on copy to start the site. lets see what would we charge? a train set to join, and one per month? full 16 car bullet train if a relationship starts? maybe ho brass if they get married??? 10% of the post marriage train-take??? hey we gotta make some money or trains here!

cheers

jeff

cheers

jeff

Rich C

Martijn Meerts

Well, a train set to join is too much, we need to get people on board, and only than start getting compensation. Signup would be free, and then each month a locomotive would be nice. Every time they get a date it'd be a train set, then a 16-car shinkansen on relationship start. If they get married, we give them a present though :)

Ok martijn we got our first customer! you start the mysql db and ill work on copy to start the site. lets see what would we charge? a train set to join, and one per month? full 16 car bullet train if a relationship starts? maybe ho brass if they get married??? 10% of the post marriage train-take??? hey we gotta make some money or trains here!

cheers

jeff

cheers

jeff

Rich C

OMG this thread (weird topic to begin) has sidetracked quite a bit... I think you guys need to start a new thread LOL...

To be perfectly honest, I am way more happy that my wife does not buy me trains. I am just happy she either doesn't complain too much or just bites her tongue and let's me do my thing. That way I can get what I want, instead of her trying to figure out what I want and possibly end up buying the wrong thing. It's like trying to buy make up for your significant other. Just don't do it.

Martijn,

LOL ok i think you have a better fee schedule!

Clem,

well this was a collection of the odd relationships and trains stuff! it is pretty funny to see the different things that go on with the interaction of these two!

im pretty much in the same boat as you. good toleration, only a few eye rolls now and then and luckily no sharp questions on costs, etc. just the usual 'another package from japan!?' comment, but thats more that she loves getting packages in the mail so its just basic package envy!

cheers

jeff

Guest JRF-1935

Martijn - I think I might have to rethink joining your dating service at those prices!  :laugh:

Clem24 - I'm with you - I like buying my own trains, but...........a Japanese wife buying me Japanese trains...........that's a consideration  :laugh:

Jeff - don't know if I could deal with "package envy"  :laugh:

Rich C

i saw the double entendre there about the time i hit the post button... looking up the freudian slip i guess...

cheers

jeff

Guest JRF-1935

i saw the double entendre there about the time i hit the post button... looking up the freudian slip i guess...

cheers

jeff

So - Did you find anything up that Freudian Slip?  LOL

Rich C

:laugh: