Buying Trains and the Wife (A murder story)

keitaro

Buying yourself trains is never stupid!  :cheesy

until the wife finds out

Hahaha does anyone seriously do this? Cause I do. I don't tell her about it and when the package arrives, I sneak it into the basement...  :grin Am I going to hell?

until the wife finds out

Hahaha does anyone seriously do this? Cause I do. I don't tell her about it and when the package arrives, I sneak it into the basement...  :grin Am I going to hell?

This is a thread I was thinking of starting....."Do you tell the other half what's in the package from Japan?"

Clem - I pretty much do the same thing but it never works. My wife always knows when a package from Japan comes she always knows what it is.

Clem, have you ever displayed you full roster on your layout? WARNING: If you do, your wife will know how any trains you have!  :cheesy

Martijn Meerts

until the wife finds out

This is a thread I was thinking of starting....."Do you tell the other half what's in the package from Japan?"

Clem - I pretty much do the same thing but it never works. My wife always knows when a package from Japan comes she always knows what it is.

Clem, have you ever displayed you full roster on your layout? WARNING: If you do, your wife will know how any trains you have!  :cheesy

There are times when not having either a wife or girlfriend is a dream come true.

Of course, if the wife/girlfriend has something against me buying trains, she wouldn't have been my wife/girlfriend in the first place... And besides, it's not like they don't spend a lot on unnecessary stuff either ;)

Claude_Dreyfus

Buying yourself trains is never stupid!  :cheesy

until the wife finds out

Hahaha does anyone seriously do this? Cause I do. I don't tell her about it and when the package arrives, I sneak it into the basement...  :grin Am I going to hell?

Clem, have you ever displayed you full roster on your layout? WARNING: If you do, your wife will know how any trains you have!  :cheesy

There are times when not having either a wife or girlfriend is a dream come true.

Of course, if the wife/girlfriend has something against me buying trains, she wouldn't have been my wife/girlfriend in the first place... And besides, it's not like they don't spend a lot on unnecessary stuff either ;)

Mrs Dreyfus came home the other day confessing to having spent the equivalent of a full-set Bullet on a couple of new outfits. She felt guilty...but I told her that it was her money, and provided her half of the bills were paid, she could do what she liked... I suppose I could not say anything else bearing in mind some of the stuff I have on order at the moment!

Yeah, let's all go live somewhere remote and devote our life to trains and layout building. Maybe we will be able to make a N scale Layout of the entirety of Japan.  :grin

Mrs Dreyfus came home the other day confessing to having spent the equivalent of a full-set Bullet on a couple of new outfits. She felt guilty...but I told her that it was her money, and provided her half of the bills were paid, she could do what she liked... I suppose I could not say anything else bearing in mind some of the stuff I have on order at the moment!

And so it should be.

I usually get the joking "Another package from Japan!", but rarely and guff...

i dont make it a habit of lording over the new purchases to her though!

jeff

I dunno.. I have the opposite problem of everyone else. I am the one who loves spending money LOL. My wife barely buys anything. Especially now with 2 wee ones, she almost never buys anything for herself anymore. The train buying disease got 10 fold worse after I found out about Popondetta hahaha.

And ... Seriously I think if I tried displaying my ENTIRE roster, even I would be disgusted.. Er, impressed hahaha.

Seriously, my name is Clem and I have a problem.

[EDIT] Oh oh oh I must add. There's a saying that goes something like: No matter how good you are, how much you suck at something, how rich you are, etc... There's always someone that's better than you, suck worse than you, richer than you (unless you're #1 LOL), etc... So in that light, I just think of Massimo LOL.

Alright....A thread has been started and hopefully our "over halves" don't see it.  :cheesy :cheesy

My wife, Pam really has been great because she is also into "crafts". In our basement I have shelves of boxed up American Flyer S scale and HO trains, track & structures.

When my Uncle passed away a few years ago, he left me his collection Lionel O scale trains. I walked into the house with 6 boxes and all my wife could say was, "Isn't there anyone else in your family that likes trains!"

All I could say was, "Besides me.....I don't think so." 

these posts are public!

my wife is pretty good about letting me play as long as i keep to my places! i have my big office room (really only need about 10% of it for my work space, rest is piled up with train stuff), the basement (except for her shelves and access to the freezer) and one of the two car slots in the garage (my woodshop). rest of the house is off limits to much hobby stuff except for some transient things or a small tray to play with in the family room. all ok with me!

cheers

jeff

I used to work in one of the UKs leading continental Outline shops until they closed in the 1990's it gave me cheap trains while i was a student, anyway quite often a buyer would ask you to re price a loco i.e. a £70 lilliput to say £30 for the comfort of their marriage!

L

This is where I am extremely grateful that two of my last three GF's were Asian. They were perfectly fine about the hobby and even asked a lot of questions. As to whether that was just Asian woman mind games or sincerely interested, it's hard to tell. The gf in between being British liked to refer to me as "a child" for playing with "toys" and that a grown man should have better things to do wit his time and money. Note, I only dated the Britt for about six weeks before I grew bored of her attitude.  :cheesy

CaptOblivious

My wife manages the money, and tells me how much I have to spend each month. What I spend it on, generally, is uninteresting to her (unless I'm considering spending our date-night money!) I find this arrangement absolutely satisfactory, as dealing with money issues invariably leads to overwhelming anxiety for me. So, it's really not an issue, especially since our limited income combined with other hobbies and desires rather tightly restricts my free monthly allowance to well below train-purchasing levels anyway. :D

I controll all money in the house. Even the wifes money.

As in saving for our own house is priority 1.

I pay all bills and we always do shopping together etc.

however she will buy stuff when ever she wants to which is not often just the normal skin care and make up etc and clothes (weekly basis) / shoes (fortnightly basis).

I must admit though i am guilty of spending more money to my self and I have on occasions ninja'd something i bought into the house and slowly poped it out with out her noticing it  :laugh:

Having said that "most" of the money used has been from profits I made in my share trading I have been doing from ca$h i got by doing over time.

Share trading is my second hobby atm with photography

Claude_Dreyfus

I do get grief from my colleagues as 95% of my purchases go to my office address - "hiding them from your misses then?". My argument is that being 'Parcelfarce' they invariably get caught up at customs and held at the main depot until the ransom fees are paid. The depot is at Gatwick, less than a mile from my office so it makes sense.

In the past, when I have proudly introduced the odd item, it gets treated with general indifference, so the majority of my more mundane or work-a-day purchases don't get introduced...after all she doesn't show me the new pairs of socks she occasionally buys, or a top for work. That said, the book sets are held in a couple of shelving units in our bedroom, so their gradual filling up is no doubt noticed!

Sets of interest, or stuff that is really cool - a Bullet or the Rap:t 50000, for example - do get shown off and generally greeted favourably - or rather less indifferently.

I used to get my purchases delivered to my office too. My reason is that when packages are delivered during the day I'm at work otherwise some shippers won't leave an package at your door step unless there is someone to sign for it.

Guest Closed Account 1

No wife. The girls have adored the Christmas Tram (Kato Portram). I think I can win more of the other species by adding a horse drawn carriage to the Park scene. Chics like that stuff.

My packages get dropped off to the main office then get held in shipping/receiving. The office girls are always interested in knowing what I get from Japan and why I don't buy locally.

Well let's see, #1 Governors Sales Gratuity, Hobby Stores are slow to receive foreign models, major price difference when considering the fuel and time spent to travel 50 minutes across town only to find that the only knowledgable train guy is off. He is in my N Scale Club is gets perturbed when he finds out I have stuff he won't get for months or ever.

Now that I discovered Hobby Search and the American Dollar getting stronger, buying train stuff is going to get out of hand quickly.

I also get to office due to collection difficulties.

Here the post office opens 9 and closes 5 unfortunate thing is i leave for work at 7 and get home @ 7 .... and post office near me does not open on weekends. not only that the parcel gets delivered to me at my desk. Now thats service...

Boy do we need to get some more women on this forum....  :grin

But yeah--I've been known to have stuff shipped to work, but I'm trying to get myself to quit. I went through a big guitar-buying phase, and those are a lot harder to hide. But I dumped most of those to pay for an upcoming family trip, so that worked out well. I've been buying some lenses for my photo habit (much more than a hobby), but (knock wood) I think I'm done now, and the extras are getting sold off. I'm actually pretty happy with the mix of Japanese trains we have now, so I think I can manage to be strong for a while. (knock wood again)

good luck i have a compulsive buying disorder.

Oh yeah? Beat this. In the last month, I've bought:

- Archos 5 500GB

- $100 portable headphone amp

- 1/22 Dickie RC bus from Germany

- 1/24 Losi Rock Crawler

- Just last night, $1400 for 1/14 Tamiya RC lorry set

- $800 worth of trains from Popondetta

- $80 from HS

- $100 worth of buildings from HLJ

- >$150 of books from Amazon Japan

- New rims for my car ($1250)

- Pre-ordered both HOT7000 (ok that was technically a month + a week) plus whatever else I have on preorder (700-8000 set I think??).

LOL I wonder how I am still married. But then again I also sold off a whole bunch of crap on eBay but still...

good luck i have a compulsive buying disorder.

Oh yeah? Beat this. In the last month, I've bought:

- Archos 5 500GB

- $100 portable headphone amp

- 1/22 Dickie RC bus from Germany

- 1/24 Losi Rock Crawler

- Just last night, $1400 for 1/14 Tamiya RC lorry set

- $800 worth of trains from Popondetta

- $80 from HS

- $100 worth of buildings from HLJ

- >$150 of books from Amazon Japan

- New rims for my car ($1250)

- Pre-ordered both HOT7000 (ok that was technically a month + a week) plus whatever else I have on preorder (700-8000 set I think??).

LOL I wonder how I am still married. But then again I also sold off a whole bunch of crap on eBay but still...

Clem - You must be married to one understanding woman!

Did you tell her the rims where for her car, but that they're the wrong size but ironically they fit your car? :grin

Wow!

This reads like some of the posts on the modelling forums I frequent. 

In our household, the general rule of thumb is that whatever comes into the house, and is not for household use, has to fit in our respective dens.

Having said that, I'm not above having packages delivered to the office (for ease of receipt, of course!)  If I forget to mention what arrived when I get it home, that's not my fault, right?  :grin

Grant

Did you tell her the rims where for her car, but that they're the wrong size but ironically they fit your car? :grin

Um... Sir, she drives a minivan.  :cheesy

I had a tire blow out last year that took one of my summer rims with it. Up here in the great white north, winter tires are a necessity. I could always switch the tires to the stock rims, but what's the fun in that?  :grin

In our household, the general rule of thumb is that whatever comes into the house, and is not for household use, has to fit in our respective dens.

I guess my den would be the basement... That's quite a den to fill (and I think I am doing an acceptable job hahahaha).