Odakyu Line 5000 series retiring at the end of this month

I noticed some ads on an Express train saying Sayonara 5000.

Wiki says that the 6 car units will be retired at the end of this month but the four car units will run a little longer.

Will try to shoot some this week.

Best wishes,

Grant

Looking forward to your pictures.  These are the last trains with the classic Odakyu "look".  Shame they'll be gone soon, like the Keikyu 1000 series last year.

Such a shame again, but understandable. These are quite old and slow cars, so yeah, replacing them is in order. I'm glad I once had the chance to ride 'em, though they were always crowded.

I'm quite sadden to hear about the impending retirement. Every trip I take to Japan I pick the best of image of 5000-8000 pictures taken. For the 2005 Tokyo/Miyazaki trip, the picture that was my top pic was entitled "Shinjuku Schoolgirl" The train that was rocketing past her was a 5000-series. Man, I think Micro Ace made that, might have to grab one soon.

I delayed trying to shoot the 5000 trains, so I will only probably shoot them making last runs this Sat and Sun. I think that the Express trains have 6 plus 4 car combinbations and the six car trains are, from the ticket gates, furthest away. These photos are of the 4 car series. I think that the 4 car 5000 series will continue to run for a while.

Notice of the 'Last Runs' at Setagaya-daita Station.

DSC_0251.jpg

900 fans, 450 times two, can have the chance to ride on the last runs. The red stickers says, in effect, 'Too late sucka, all sold out.'

DSC_0252.jpg

Taken earlier this week, when the line was stopped for about 20 minutes.

DSC_0003-3.jpg

Taken yesterday at Shinjuku Station on my way to my lesson.

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

Taken last night around 11:40 PM at Shimokitazawa Station.

DSC_0193.jpg

I've taken more earlier of the Odakyu trains and will have to check to see if I have any good 5000 series ones.

I'm off to go to Shinjuku Station to try and shoot the first special 'Last Run." If it's too crowded, I'll try someplace else.

Best wishes,

Grant

They look like they've just rolled out of the factory, the only time our trains look that good is when they have actually just rolled out of the factory.

I'm off to go to Shinjuku Station to try and shoot the first special 'Last Run." If it's too crowded, I'll try someplace else.

Likely it will be a circus with the cell-phone camera crowd (yowsers!).  May I suggest Yoyogiuehara down the line a bit?  I admit I have never scouted the location for good camera angles, but you can also catch Chiyoda Line trains there too (hint, hint...)

I got pretty lazy and ended up not going to Shinjuku but shot from the pedestrian overpass next to Setagaya-daita Station. One problem is that with my new camera, it's a squeeze between the catenary wires and the wire support brace. One good thing is that the trains often slow down here. There were only about four or five other people at the overpass this morning. There should be more here and at every platform and scenic spot along the way tomorrow.

DSC_0021-3.jpg

Like here.

DSC_0024-1.jpg

DSC_0031-1.jpg

DSC_0034-4.jpg

DSC_0036-1.jpg

DSC_0038-3.jpg

DSC_0039-3.jpg

I thought about shooting it as it emerges from Shinjuku Station, but it should be crowded there tomorrow.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

Taken yesterday. Several bad choices made. Arrived late, about 15-20 minutes before it passed. The station I had chosen,Umegaoka, for some reason, had blocked off the north portion of both platforms, so it was harder to get a good shot of the train approaching. Also the roof blocked off the sunlight so the train was in shadow. I elected not to get on the train and look for a better site.

Setagaya-daita, the station before, had about 4 fans with more getting off on the train that I got on.

DSC_0001-5.jpg

Umegaoka Station, showing fans and the barriers.

DSC_0006-3.jpg

In shadow.

DSC_0009-4.jpg

DSC_0018-2.jpg

DSC_0019-2.jpg

DSC_0020-2.jpg

DSC_0021-4.jpg

DSC_0022-1.jpg

DSC_0023-2.jpg

DSC_0025-2.jpg

DSC_0031-2.jpg

DSC_0032-2.jpg

DSC_0033-1.jpg

I still have problems focusing when a train passes closer than about 30 meters.

Not the best, sorry.

Best wishes,

Grant

I'm still undecided as to whether slicing them up is better than not preserving them at all.  I have a difficult time getting an impression of a multi-car consist from a single carriage let alone one-half of one.

Setagaya-daita, the station before, had about 4 fans with more getting off on the train that I got on.

DSC_0001-5.jpg

Umegaoka Station, showing fans and the barriers.

DSC_0006-3.jpg

I know a little OT, but that's the first time I have ever seen anyone in Japan carrying a camera bag by Domke. (I own seven and whilst only carry one at a time, railfans stop me quite often asking where I got it from as distribution is rather unheard of there, appearntly)