Gaijin Commentary: Why must Tokyo’s railways engage in aural assault?

Martijn Meerts

Sounds like one of those "I find it annoying so therefor it must be useless" characters :)  Obviously, I don't know how bad it is, seeing I've never been there, but I can imagine worse things than a jingle being repeated or being warned to watch my step more than once or twice.

What he also doesn't seem to think of, is that on a station with so much traffic, people are coming in and out. In the space of several minutes, god knows how many people will come into the station who haven't been able to hear the announcements made a minute ago...

Of course, people will always find something to complain about. If it's not about not being told there's a delay with a certain train clear enough, it's about being told there's a delay too often ..

The only problem that I've noticed in Shinjuku is the drowning out of the announcements by passing trains, which may be why the announcements are often repeated.

Grant

Ah yes, Japan Today trotting out yet another unoriginal "commentary" by some foreigner "doing" his two years in Japan, and then moving on.  Of course the topic is one the hobby horses of the expat community- they love to winch about the same things.  If you you don't like the noise, don't live in a huge city.  Up next- "how those politicians and their loudspeakers disturb the peace during election time".  Where my answer would be: that's the sound of democracy- if you don't like it go to China or Singapore, where you don't have to worry about people speaking out against the government and causing a "nuisance".

• Like 4

TOKYO —

They say the infant Mozart had such a delicate ear that any discordant sound would make him physically sick. If true, I imagine Shinjuku station would probably have killed him. There can be few noisier places on the planet than Japan’s largest station, which is, to a degree, unavoidable given the volume of traffic that thunders through it.

But what’s less excusable is why rail companies choose to add to this cacophony by bombarding passengers with yet more noise in the form of maddeningly repetitive announcements and infantile jingles. Railway officials in Japan seem to believe that their trains and platforms are full of bewildered, vulnerable children, possibly using a train for the first time, and in urgent need of endlessly repeated “guidance” delivered to them by the tyrants of the tannoy at an eardrum-perforating fortissimo.

Let’s start with the safety announcements: endless pleas to “Take care,” “Watch your step,” and “Be careful.” Not only are these annoying and largely unnecessary, they may actually be dangerous. Tom Vanderbilt, in his book “Traffic,” points to research showing that, at best, safety announcements make no difference whatsoever, and, at worst, they can actually lead to an increase in accident rates because people may modify their natural behavior as a result of listening to them (“risk homeostasis,” if you’re interested). That is, if you consciously attempt to “Watch your step,” you’re more likely to stumble than if you had trusted your inbuilt hazard detector to do the job for you. And how many times do we need to be warned that “The doors are closing”? I’d argue the answer is once, or even not at all, given that a buzzer alerts us to the fact. But for the zealots manning the speakers on the Keio line, five or six times per departure seems to be the going rate.

Rather than endlessly repeating the same stale old advice, would JR, for one, not be better employed doing something practical to improve safety, such as narrowing the treacherous chasms between train and platform at many of their stations (Yotsuya, Ichigaya, Iidabashi)? I once saw a toddler almost disappear into such a gap until snatched in midair by his horrified mother.

Then there are the jingles. Now, I know I am bringing a Western sensibility to bear here, and the Japanese seem to have a much higher tolerance for repetition, but surely the phrase “familiarity breeds contempt” has some resonance in any culture? What purpose do jingles serve? Some claim these cheerful little melodies discourage suicide attempts, which strikes me as ironic, as I have never felt more like topping myself than when I’m standing on the platform on a cold Saturday morning with a full day’s teaching ahead of me and those infuriatingly over-familiar chimes are struck up for the zillionth time. Others have told me the jingles are intended to hurry people up, though this seems sinisterly Pavlovian and, once again, an insult to our intelligence.

Now, all of this may sound a little petty, and I am aware that there are more important things in life. Furthermore, as a former long-term resident of London, I readily acknowledge that in every other respect, the transport network in Japan is just about peerless. And I realize, too, that the visually impaired should be given due consideration. But if you think this really is a trivial issue, it might be worth reminding yourself how much of your life you actually spend on trains and in stations. I realized with a gulp that I clock up about 14 hours a week, or around 25 full days a year, which works out at… well, I’ll stop there before I feel like throwing myself in front of an express. Let’s just say I spend an unavoidably substantial, but by no means exceptional, amount of my waking hours in trains and stations.

In an effort to discover whether I was alone in my feelings, I canvassed a number of Japanese on how they felt about the number and volume of announcements on trains and in stations. The results were interesting, if inconclusive. The young people I spoke to were, on the whole, unmoved, shrugging their shoulders and giving me that glazed “whatever” look I’ve come to know so well. But the oldies were another story, often and enthusiastically agreeing with me. In fact, one man—a professor at Tokyo University, no less—practically foamed at the mouth as he ranted, “I don’t need to be told how to use a train!” Obviously, my complaints can’t be ascribed solely to cultural differences.

So if this plea reaches the ear of any station officer above the hellish din, I would urge you to think again (or even just think): how about at least reducing the volume and frequency of your announcements to the level that most other transit systems around the world find sufficient? True service, at least if I understand the term correctly, has at its heart a consideration of the feelings of the customer, which in this case means considering the possibility that on a cold, joyless morning we might, just possibly, be grateful for a little peace and quiet. In short, it’s surely time for the train companies to change their tune, or preferably silence it altogether. Less sound, less fury—now that would be service. And that would signify something.

The author works for the British Council in Tokyo. This commentary originally appeared in Metropolis magazine (www.metropolis.co.jp)

http://www.japantoday.com/category/commentary/view/why-must-tokyo%e2%80%99s-railways-engage-in-aural-assault

I notice this guy is from London, after a few days riding around on the Underground last year I was saying "Mind The Gap" in my sleep for a week.

It is a paradox that the same railways that go to such extreme lengths to design shinkansen and other trains to minimize

wayside "noise pollution" then bombard their customers and neighbors with over-amplified, low-fidelity jingles and chatter...

Rich K.

CaptOblivious

Meh, after a day I fail to even notice any of the noise in the stations anymore.

PS: Sorry, Grant, I hadn't notice you posted the exact same thread.

About 10 minutes in the bowels of Shinjuku station, watching Keio locals come and go, and I had tuned all of it completely out. Sounds like the author wanted the soapbox for a bit, but had nothing better to offer except trite commentaries on "things that annoy me".

I remember a trip to Disney World in Florida. They had warnings for almost anything. Keep your arms inside the vehicle at all times.... at least a dozen times till you reach the end of the ride. I always thought that the people in the parks must be complete idiots or the country has too many lawyers. Well you shouldn't put your  dog in the microwave, shouldn't you?

Guest Closed Account 1

The first link did not open. 404 Error.

I searched the home page and found some more horrible news, "Aki Hoshino downsizes from (Japanese) F to E cup bra size". Her chiropractor should be flogged.