My project begins

keitaro

keitaro,

I know you're a busy man but a couple of photo with arrows would really help a visual guy like me understand this modification to the lighting in older cars.

Cheers

The_Ghan

sorry not right now as i don't want to pull it apart bit fiddly but in a few weeks when i open it up to put a few more people in it i will get a shot.

Any how i did my whole tobu 1720 car full of people and i have a light kit coming with this and my 3 shinkansens i have on order this month.

I left some seats empty because my experience in japan on these kind of services there is never anyone standing and a few empty seats.

I put some in standing for good measure hoping to look like they are walking to seats or to the next carriage etc.

i like the look and the pic attached does not reflect the finished look theres an extra 2 or 3 people sitting an another 2 standing.

It will be expensive to fill a whole train with sitting people as the ebay people don't sell sitting and the guy who i posted about in the shop thread is  a bit more expensive for sitting people than the ebay sellers used to be.

I do want to add that theres really only 3 variants of sitting figures other than that they are just painted random colours not like you can tell that from the outside.

look forward to posting a pic when i have the lighting in it Next is to finish the ginza line models as i have tons of standing figures.

a video of my c57-1 united with his 12 series yamaguchi sl coaches  :grin available in 1080p of my mobile

if you look at the end you can get a quick sneak peak of my tobu 1720 with passengers installed. can't wait for lights inside.

Ha ! ... that Tobu 1720 ... dark train full of passengers ... stopped in the middle of nowhere ... sound familiar?

Cheers

The_Ghan

normal city rail service ???

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i'll be honest here i built this layout for 2 car dmu services but ended buying more 6 - 7 car sets than my dmu's  :grin

I finally finished mt layout this weekend. no photos sorry!

I have finished everything major.

I have not placed down people yet or some of the fine detail such as signs and crossing arms etc.

But everything else is done. I was able to clean up my room now ready for the new little one (Wife was very happy about the clean room been pushing me to clean it for months and now can see the floor again)

Over the coming days i will place more shrubs and paint up the remaining fine detail parts i have still to do.

I will also start making a video with all my models running on it with text for the models, so expect that in the next 2 weeks.

Congratulations keitaro,

I did get your whatsup message, but have been flat out this weekend.  Perhaps under the circumstances your layout needs a baby health clinic?

All the best!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Just in time for the holidays....it you have guests coming over this will be a thrill for them to see. Congratulations! (But layout are never really finished... :happy4:

Indeed thay are not. I'm currently working on my anyrail for my want to do big project. I wanted to include it on the end of the video I am going to make. (nothing official since i need move about 1 or 2 years away)

although i have the demo so it will be a bunch of parts photo shopped together.

I'm having a bit of trouble working out how I will intergrate the subway with the central station both being so close to the edge. I'm working on 100 x 80cm tables since the shinkansen goes around the edge it is hard to move the station in a bit more to the middle due to the large radius's.

i guess i have a long time to come up with great ideas.

The mother and law comes on saturday but I have the room cleaned up for use i hope the 2011- 2012 catalogues come out by thursday.

keitaro,

My only suggestion is to review the table dimensions.  How did you come up with 1000x800mm?  At 800mm it won't fit across the back seat of the car and it won't fit through a lot of doorways.

I won't say my modules are perfect, but they do fit on the back seat of the car and they do fit through doorways.  I sized mine using the Tomix standard straight length of (t) 280mm.  I made the modules 5t x 2t, ie: 5 x 280 = 1400 and 2 x 280 = 560, thus my modules are 1400 x 560.  For a while I was toying with 4t x 2t, which is probably more manageable.

BTW, my boards lock together with the kind of fittings you find on IKEA furniture. 

If you are interested I'll email you shop drawings in PDF.

Cheers

The_Ghan

my car fits 143cm wide just through the back and 170cm length with the rear seats folded.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/vehicles/4wd/outlander/specs-and-features/specifications/outlander24/specifications

my current table is 1m x 1.6m it fits too bit of a bugger to get it in but fits in nicely.

i want to use tomix 354-45 curves as the outer and 317 - 45 curves for inner shinkansen track.

If the board is any less than 80 cm it's way too tight

i probably should have mentioned this but not all the sections are of this size only the 2 side pieces the plan is to have a U shape in the room.

The other boards where possible will be made to fit perfectly with the edge of the track of course this will all change once i have a place i can make this a permanent thing.

example below

post-484-13569929907988_thumb.jpg

Do something like a 1120 x 560 board.  But the short ends up against the wall and put 5-6 boards side-by-side.  This will accommodate more than your minimum standard and be much easier to carry around.

Cheers

The_Ghan

So I have admitably been to busy to make a video as yet or done anything significant with final touches on the layout.

Now the baby is here I don't have any free time except 10 pm onwards atm. 2 children is just too much but I will still have another lol.

but here is c62-2 and -3

Also the tomix dr yellow. I may post the hoki's later.

Doctor yellow doesn't really like my layout keeps derailing on the double crossover

now for review.

The Kato c62-2 and c62-3 are great but i am still not sure why they didn't do just the one model with changeable plates.

There isn't anything different between the 2 except the plate??? they look identical to me that is.

They run really great however you will find they are not very friendly with tomix 234/45 (or was it 243 curves can't remember of the top of my head) or below.

I still hate the way they do the couplers at the front.

They work by removing the dummy coupler clipped into the chassis then you have to clip the rapido or knuckle to the front 2 wheels.

I hate this for 2 reasons.

1. The old clip hole for the dummy coupler can still be seen.

2. The coupler has the catcher attached to it. Since it is lower than when the dummy coupler was being used it can sometimes be too low catching on things causing derails.

Example on the slope I have in the mountain it catches at the bottom when it comes flat. Also on some occasions it would touch the bits on points and switch them or derail.

It runs really smooth and a starts at really low voltage with not too much noise. The locos are pretty well tuned and almost identical in speed too which is great reduces the drag and pull effect.

Be carefully when you hold this loco though as the cab roof pulls of very easy and as experience has taught me grabbing a loco the wrong way will result in a suicide drop to the ground.

Doctor yellow.

So all I really have to say about this is it’s a tomix shinkansen.

Nothing special about it from any other recent tomix shinkansens except it’s doctor yellow.

Sports the same motor as the n700 from look of it and has everything any other shinkansen has (all wheel pickup fly wheel etc etc)

One thing that is different though and I appreciate is the set comes with the plastic sheet to wrap it in when placing back in the case.

As always I love the double panto  :grin

Yes, the Dr Yellow is the first set I've bought that has the cars individually wrapped in soft plastic ... makes them feel expensive.

BTW keitaro, you're using Kato track, right?

Cheers

The_Ghan

Yes, the Dr Yellow is the first set I've bought that has the cars individually wrapped in soft plastic ... makes them feel expensive.

ive been trying to find that plastic film for a long time. i think its a polypropylene formulation, its so supple and smooth and perfect for the job of making cars slide in and out of foam inserts so well! i am guessing its well tested to not stick to paint or decals as well.

wonderful stuff.

jeff

Guest JRF-1935

ive been trying to find that plastic film for a long time. i think its a polypropylene formulation, its so supple and smooth and perfect for the job of making cars slide in and out of foam inserts so well! i am guessing its well tested to not stick to paint or decals as well.

wonderful stuff.

jeff

Have to agree with you and The Ghan here - luv this stuff

Rich C

I own two Tomix double cross overs ... I'll have to test them with Dr Yellow some time.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I have curves then 140m Straight and the crossover. Assuming this is part reason for this occurence as the train gets pulled while half is around the corner still, I think it leans it into the point and jumps off sometimes.

Odd though my 100 series fresh green does it often as well but my 800 series never does it same length... the 0 series same length does not do it either.

havn't tested my new 100 seies limiteds but i assume they will be the same as the fresh green.

ahh well I can live with it as they are not really for this tiny little layout.

just wish i could build that bigger layout now.

Guest JRF-1935

Keitaro

Surprised your not happy with the new Tomix Dr Yellow.  See from your vids and posts your still having trouble with your double crossover switch - maybe time for a new replacement - IMHO

Rich C

Keitaro

Surprised your not happy with the new Tomix Dr Yellow.  See from your vids and posts your still having trouble with your double crossover switch - maybe time for a new replacement - IMHO

Rich C

I'm happy with the model I know it's not the train just my layout and the positioning of the switch and the switch itself.

I can't change over the switch.

2 reasons

1. it's ballasted and i really do not want to swap it over as it is really alot of work to do so.

2. It's not broken "yet" i'm waiting for it to blow when it does i will replace it. I will change the desing and not use a double crossover but instead 2 single points, less issues with derailments that way. will just need to compromise on being a bit more fiddly when changing trains out.

doh just realised i uploaded 2 x doctor yellow will post c62 tonight

Martijn Meerts

I think the Tomix double crossover is their worst piece of track. I have one as well, and when I tested it I got shorts more often than I'd like when a train ran over it. Might be I just have a bad one.. I also found it to be a bit rough, especially when compared to the Peco double crossover, but it's hard to compare the 2 considering the Peco is code 55 and the Tomix is meant to be durable rather than prototypical ;)

• Like 1

agreed it's not very good.

i hope this year brings a few changes to track or upgrades.

they are doing the new crossign and some other bits this i now so far but i am hoping to see more on the track side.

I'll remember to test all of my models on my double crossovers before fixing the part in place.  But from memory keitaro, didn't you get a bit of ballast into yours, which then required detailed cleaning?  Could this have something to do with the problem?

Cheers

The_Ghan

nah i had problems before that. Then there was the one i blew or more so the son blew that had same issues pre ballast. It's a combination of things causing the problem.

hopefully when i get to my big layout there is better double crossovers as i have about 10 on the layout design i have.