Japan Railfan magazine

harukablue

Hi, I used to be able to buy Japan Railfan magazine in the UK from Ian Allan publishers , i have looked at their latest web site and they dont seem to have anything past September 2010, does anyone know if they still supply this book?

I know hobby search have them but i am wary of ordering from them since the computer problems.

Lew

Lew,

amazon in the US sells subscriptions ($263/yr) but doesnt look like amazon UK does though unfortunately

http://www.amazon.com/Japan-Railfan-Magazine-Tetsudo-Fan/dp/B00007KYYE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=magazines&qid=1295399450&sr=8-4

I would not worry at all about hobbysearch and your cc#. no one has reported any issues from the intrusion and im sure they are much more secure these days. they also have moved to paypal for cc transactions who im sure are a lot beefier on the security end anyway. as long as you are putting on a cc you are very protected from bad transactions. between personal life and my business (i at times purchase a lot of equipment for projects) i order a lot on line and have had only a couple of bad charges ever from online purchases and those were immediately reversed. lost my wallet once and w/in a few hours there were a few dozen bad charges (all taken care of by the cc though)!

cheers,

jeff

With paypal, even if HS were compromised again, they wouldn't get your cc number, since only Paypal has that.

And as Jeff says, with a real credit card (as opposed to a debit card) you have a lot of protection even if the info does get out.

yes those debit cards are bad if you get hit as the money that goes is your bank balance (potentially bouncing checks at the same time) and the bank may take its time refunding the money. a cc will just freeze all the transactions in question when disputed and you dont need to worry about paying them...

cheers

jeff

I get Japan Railfan, RM Models and Hobby of Model Railroading from HS, paying with Paypal, I get them by SAL to reduce shipping as I'm not in a hurry to get them. Postage is as much as the magazines but U.S. and U.K. magazines aren't cheap in Australia, the last issue of Railfan & Railroad I bought cost me $18.35 and it's nowhere near the size or quality of Japan Railfan. The last issue arrived a couple of days ago despite all the floods and mayhem in this part of the world at the moment.

yes those debit cards are bad if you get hit as the money that goes is your bank balance (potentially bouncing checks at the same time) and the bank may take its time refunding the money. a cc will just freeze all the transactions in question when disputed and you dont need to worry about paying them...

cheers

jeff

You are protected even on the check cards (debit cards) as well, and the banks are suppose to waive any overdraft fees. Also note that a withdraw from a stolen check card takes 24 hours before the bank process it as they are handled as an ACH translation. (Sorry, mother's a banker, it's all I ever hear from her for the past twenty-five years since she gave up teaching in the schools is bank polices, or her complaining about bank customers. I've grown to loath banks)

Yes in the end they refunded the fees from the bank overdraft (they went onto the account automatically but were reversed after the investigation was closed), but two checks bounced (just bad luck checks were clearing just at the right time) and both of the receivers did not withhold their fees even when i explained it was due to fraud. they said that it still cost them the money for the paperwork and their bank so tuff... granted this was a few years back, perhaps that attitude and or regulation has changed! it took the bank bout 2 weeks to put all the money back from the fraudulent charges as they were investigating the matter. the guy went on an nice 4 hour spending spree over about 80 miles (gas included!) and drained the whole $1400 that was in the account! it was a couple of weeks of lots of phone calls and faxing stuff back and forth, not fun, but did proceed in an orderly fashion and resolved ok in the end except for the $45 in bounce fees from from the check recipients.

couple of fraudulent ccs that have happened have been cleared up with one phone call each, no fees, no money out for a while and a new cc out to me asap. still dont understand why some simple encryption is done with cc on the cards themselves with all the fraud they and the merchants get stuck with. i guess most is passed to the merchants and they dont have the leverage on the cc companies to work on better fixes.

cheers

jeff

couple of fraudulent ccs that have happened have been cleared up with one phone call each, no fees, no money out for a while and a new cc out to me asap. still dont understand why some simple encryption is done with cc on the cards themselves with all the fraud they and the merchants get stuck with. i guess most is passed to the merchants and they dont have the leverage on the cc companies to work on better fixes.

The key to people using their CC's is ease of use. The more protection and security that a card has and the more complicated it is, the less likely people will use it. The CC companies will just eat the fraud charges since it's much less than lost revenue if people stop using the card.