JR East Three Day Holiday Pass

JR trains are fairly expensive to use so a three day pass, even with the bother of traveling during a holiday. I'm thinking of using this to using it to use each day to leave home and travel as far as I can before returning home during the night. One through Kobuchizawa, Komoro and perhaps to Bessho Onsen, my old stomping ground when I lived in Ueda City. Perhaps one north towards Akita. Any suggestions?

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

Sorry can't get the photo to rotate.

Don't know why

Best wishes,

Grant

To be honest, I don't find JR trains to be all that expensive. If anything I've always found the passes to be a bit high, and have never been able to use them in Japan cause of the distance or lack thereof to justify the cost.

Gmat, coincidentally just this past weekend I used the two day equivalent (with a smaller validity area).  The Bessho Onsen trip is entirely doable as a day trip using Chuo Line, Koumi Line, Shinano Rlwy, and the bus Karuizawa-Yokokawa, though you will have start pretty early I think (getting to Hachioji/Takao early enough to catch a long distance local is always a challenge for me).  Akita likely will require an overnight stay somewhere.  One good thing about this pass is that it allows you to buy a limited express ticket/shinkansen ticket, and covers the basic distance fare, unlike the Seishun 18 ticket.  So if you want to cover alot of ground, or just need to get home quicker, you can "cheat" by taking a faster train.  On my weekend trip to Naoetsu (good junction station by the way), I used the limited express Asuza as a "positioning" train to get me early enough to Otsuki, to catch the local to Kofu, which also has a cross-platform connection (at Kofu) with the local to Nagano.

Shashinka raises a good point.  A lot of people (including many expats, present company excepted :cheesy) complain about high train fares, but I think they are not really that bad.  Urban travel is a bargain (priced the London underground recently?), and fare hikes are rare.  And the service levels are excellent (well, at least for the faster services- long distance locals are more for the adventurous).  I think some fans who concentrate on urban/suburban subjects are better off not buying the more expensive passes and stick to the local area passes or just pay the regular fares- it's a matter of mileage and getting value for money.

A historical note: back when there were more express trains (and more locals going long distances), it was much easier to travel far on the cheap.  The night expresses were especially useful for this, serving as excellent positioning trains to get you into an area in the early AM hours for whole days worth of railfanning.

Some suggestions, by the way:

1. Tohoku Main Line to Koriyama, and the Ban-etsu Sai Line to Aizu Wakamatsu (aka everyone's fav webcam station)- don't know if this can be done as a day trip though- you may have to either stay a night, or use the Aizu Rlwy and Tobu Rlwy on the return leg.  Also continuing on the Tadami Line or the Ban-etsu Sai Line to the Japan Sea side (definitely overnight).

2. (wanted to do this): Joban Line to Mito, then the Suigun Line to Koriyama, back to Kanto area on the Tohoku Main Line.

Some suggestions, by the way:

1. Tohoku Main Line to Koriyama, and the Ban-etsu Sai Line to Aizu Wakamatsu (aka everyone's fav webcam station)- don't know if this can be done as a day trip though- you may have to either stay a night, or use the Aizu Rlwy and Tobu Rlwy on the return leg.  Also continuing on the Tadami Line or the Ban-etsu Sai Line to the Japan Sea side (definitely overnight).

That's a long trip. My Hokkaido trip is going to consist of this, but my trip doubles back from Aizu to Koriyama then on to main and continue on to Hokkaido via Hokadate. I'd suggest crashing in Aizu overnight as it an eight hour one way trip on the Tohuku Main.

Thank you for your comments.

I wouldn't mind if there was a week day equivalent as I have Wednesdays and Thursdays free and wouldn't face the packed trains. Actually, I think that I should probably choose a station where I could shoot trains as they pass by. Aizuwakamatsu looks good as I can shoot three lines from that station. If I take the trip soon enough, I could share the photos with my student. He's moving to Sendai at the end of March. They had to wait until I visited again after the new year began to play with the Thomas train set. I'm debating whether to spend some money on a B Shorty Shinkansen set plus trucks and motor and tracks or the train ticket. Decisions, decisions.

The Suigun Line looks interesting. Mito Station might be another good place to stop and shoot trains. I think that my problem is that I'm primarily interested in shooting trains and also on some of the nice local lines, if I were to stop at a station to sightsee or to shoot a departing train, the next one might take a while to arrive.

If there is one that follows the coastline that would be interesting. I've been interested in the Boso Peninsula, but am open to other areas.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good book, if possible in English on JR East train lines and the various trains I could see? I guess that I should start downloading and printing information from Wiki and make my own folder.

The next three day holiday is in Feb. so I think that I should aim for that date. I can do the same in March if it is a success.

But my wife isn't very impressed with my spending money to take this trip.

Thanks for the advice.

Best wishes,

Grant

Another suggestion- this will require buying a ltd. express ticket for at least a portion of your journey, and also an overnight stay (Sendai?), but with the upcoming spring timetable revision, the ltd. express Super-Hitachi will cease running the whole distance between Tokyo Ueno and Sendai (all services will terminate at Iwaki).  One possible plan would be to take locals on the Joban Line as far as Iwaki, and then catch the Super-Hitachi from there to Sendai, thus getting mileage on the ltd. express that will be no more soon.  I don't have a timetable with me now, so I don't know the times of the Sendai-bound trains, but as the Joban Line hugs the Pacific coast past Mito, it meets one of your criterias.

Thanks, BikkuriBahn.

Any idea why it's terminating at Iwaki? Wiki doesn't have much on that station. It doesn't seem like an important station either. What is replacing the Super Hitachi on that run?

Any ideas for a cheap stay in Sendai?

I could go back through Yamagata Station. That would be a good place to spend a few hours. I think that the best idea would be to leave on a Friday and come back on a Saturday. This is on the three day holiday in Feb.  

Thanks.

Grant

Sorry gmat, my proclamations of Super Hitachi Sendai service demise were a bit premature- the through service will end in spring 2012, when the new E657 series will be introduced on the service.  The current E653 series will then be transferred to a shuttle service between Iwaki and Sendai.  I don't know the definitive reason for the discontinuation, but I think there are relatively few passengers taking the train between Ueno and points beyond Iwaki (including Sendai-99.5% probably take the Tohoku shinkansen), and having trainsets dedicated for this long distance route probably reduces utilization, compared with shorter routes connnected to each other. As for Iwaki Station, it serves the largest city between Mito and Sendai, and seems to be a decent size regional station, with 6,200 passengers passing through its gates/day.

I find this discontinuation significant because it is the last vestige of long distance services on the Joban Line, which was once a major route to the north (Tohoku and Hokkaido), hosting both the premier daytime limited express to Aomori (Hatsukari), as well as night sleeper trains. I'm planning a post on the historical side of this route, when I get around to it.

As for cheap lodgings, my knowledge is limited, as invariably I stay at a Toyoko Inn (reasonable price and good locations near train stations), though there are likely even cheaper options.  I can look for some if you wish.

Thanks, BikkuriBahn,

It's still a good idea. Looking at the routes given, I'm wondering if I should try to do less traveling and try to stay at a few junctions and shoot the trains that pass by. I just thought of another option concerning staying in Sendai and will let you know tonight if it doesn't pan out.

Thank you for the advice.

Best wishes,

Grant

Update. The Sendai part of the trip made me consider if my student would like to come along as he could visit his father who living in Sendai alone until the family moves to join him. But the mother said that the father is coming to Tokyo that week. The mother said that it was up to the father if the son could go riding and taking pictures of trains. I later said that I hope to leave at 6:00. The mother said no problem as it's not (like getting up for) school. The boy sounded less happy when I pointed out the starting time to him. I think if it does fly, it'll probably be a shorter trip as we will probably start out at 8:00 or later. Too bad as the good stuff has passed through by then. I'll probably let him choose a line to ride on or a station to shoot at or even a train to seek out. I suspect that a Shinkansen will figure prominently in our plans. I wonder if I can see a snowplow in action. He has a friend that is a bigger rail fan than he is so I offered to take the both of them together. Makes it less boring for him. We'll return home that night.

Thanks for the offer to look for someplace to stay. I'll have a chance sometime before next Spring.

What is the best way to find out when to see a snowplow in action? Hope for a blizzard?

Best wishes,

Grant

Yes, the earlier time you start the better, both to catch the early trains to get to your destination earlier (important especially in the winter months w/less hours of sunlight), and often you can gets pics of a night sleeper train on the last stretch to its destination, as well as freight, before the beginning of the morning rush around 7am.  But sometimes logistics or traveling companions prevent that.

As for snow plows, they usually do their work at night, when the traffic is less.  I've seen some in action up here in Hokkaido midday (Sunagawa), on the passing sidings, but not the mainline.

Thanks, BikkuriBahn. I might know next Tuesday if I'll be going with my student. I'll probably buy a train schedule to let him think about planning an itinerary.

Best wishes,

Grant

Looks like the student thing fell through. I've been shooting the Tobu/JR Kinugawa trains and as the two older ones might be retired, I think that I might try to ride them. I'll take the 7:30 189 to Tobu Nikko Station and then take the JR Nikko line to Utsunoimiya Station. I could ride the Tohoku Line to stop at Hoshakuji Station to look at the Karasuyama trains and then go back to Utsunomiya and Oyama Station to shoot the lines there and make my way back.

On another day, I could go to Koriyama by Shinkansen, spend most of the day there and double back to the Asaka-Nagamori Station and travel to Mito on the Suigun Line and make my way back from there.

The last day would be to Bessho Onsen by way of Kobuchizawa. I just found out that the Shinano Line has taken over the old JR line between Karuizawa and Shininoi Stations.

That's all for now.

Best wishes,

Grant

I just found out that the Shinano Line has taken over the old JR line between Karuizawa and Shininoi Stations.

Yes, that's a good one to ride.  115 series on the locals, and the home liner services I believe are 169 series which were JNR 165 series express stock modified for use on the Yokokawa-Karuizawa incline and EF64 pushers.  The last of this type to be running in Japan on regular services, I believe.

I decided to take the two day Weekend Pass rather than the Three day Pass. My budget can't swing the latter. I'll start this morning. I won't be able to take the Kinugawa as I guess that all three are considered Tobu Line fares and can't be used with either pass. Found that out before I bought the tickets. Looking at alternate route north as I write this.

Will post photos when I return tonite and again on Sunday night. Need to clear some space on my Photobucket account also.

The Hitachi might be one idea.

Best wishes,

Grant.

On Saturday, I started from Ueno on the Super Hitachi and rode, coincidentally, to Hitachi station. Then I went to Iwaki Station by local train. I shot some photos out of the driver's window, but alas, from the passenger section. I shot stations, tunnel entrances, small bridges, and sometimes work crews.  I thought that they might make good reference photos for your layouts. Near Iwaki, another driver stood right in front of the window, which I thought was pretty unsporting of him. He did the same mnemonic hand motions that the driver used. Interesting. Near Iwaki, more loclas started getting on the train and an old man asked me what I was doing. I said that I was shooting tunnels as some train hobbyist were interested in them. At Iwaki Station, I had an hour and a half wait for the Ban'etsu train then took a KiHa 110 to Koriyama Station. I also managed to measure and shoot the width of several types of lattice and pole pylons. Along the way to Koriyama, there were many tunnels and I shot many of them. Then near the middle of the trip another driver showed up and closed the shades. I wondered if they didn't like me shooting photos of the tunnels. Later on Sunday, I happened to read the print on the shades and it said that the shades are pulled in tunnels to shut out the light of the passenger section to prevent the glare from interfering with the driver's vision in the longer tunnels. I guess that the tunnels on the Ban'etsu Line were too short and too frequent to bother pulling down the shades. I shot more of the Ban'etsu East trains, Tohoku line, the Suigin Line, the 485 series Aizu Liner and a diesel parked nearby. It was late afternoon when I finished shooting there and rode the local to Kuroiso Station. There were a number of diesels parked there and I shot a couple moving by. Then it was off to Utsunomiya on the local where I shot a JR Nikko Line train and then back on a Ueno bound rapid train. I switched at Omiya for a rapid to Shinjuku.

On Sunday, I took the 183 series Kawaguchiko Special from Shinjuku. The JR portion was only good until Otsuki, because of the late start,  I wouldn't be able to reach Kobuchizawa to ride the Koumi Line and get back in any reasonable time, so I elected to travel to Matsumoto Station. I spent some time at Kofu and shot a couple of diesels parked there and also shot the Minobu line trains when they came to the station. Then I took the local to Kobuchizawa. Spent an hour there but only shot a parked KiHa-100 Koumi Line train. It was painted exactly the same as the Ban'etsu train. I felt a bit gypped. I then rode the local to Matsumoto Station and fell asleep until near Lake Suwa. I missed Shiojiri Station and will stop there one day. I stopped off at Okaya Station and shot the Iida Line trains as the came to the station. Then it was on to Matsumoto in the late afternoon. It's worth coming here in the morning and shooting in better light. I shot the Shininoi, Oito and the Matsumoto Electric Railway trains that arrived and left from this station. I also shot the 383 series Shinano and the HB-E300 series Resort View Furusato that passed through. But the poor afternoon light made some photos come out rather dark. I took the Super Azusa back to Tokyo. As there was no one else around, I managed to ask the driver to shoot my picture in front of the Super Azusa. He was very nice to comply.

Photos later.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 2

Thanks for the report.  Looking forward to the pictures.  Regarding the extra driver, alot of training/familiarization runs are done on the weekends/holidays, so front end views occassionally are blocked by extra staff.  A similar experience for me, on the Tobu Isezaki Line, a bunch of crew members were being deadheaded, and all stood near the window looking into the cab (of my fav) Tokyu 8500 series, denying one of my favorite rides...Word of advice, never take the Den-en Toshi/Hanzomon/Tobu Line trains on the morning/noon hours of a weekday following a three day holiday- you are almost guaranteed a major delay or cancellation of trains on said route, it's notorious.

Started of on the Super Hitachi.

DSC_0026-3.jpg

Destination sign. What do railroad people call these?

DSC_0032-3.jpg

Asked a cleaner to shoot my photo.

DSC_0023-3.jpg

DSC_0034-5.jpg

DSC_0036-2.jpg

The cleaning staff preparing to enter and clean the Fresh Hitachi. They bow to the departing passengers.

DSC_0021-5.jpg

Never seen them line up waiting for the last cleaner to detrain before, certainly not at Shinjuku.

DSC_0035-2.jpg

Parking spot for the Tobu Spacia Kinugawa, after the morning trip in to Shinjuku. Time 8:09.

DSC_0041-2.jpg

Just after passing Mito Station, noticed this cute pair of mini runabouts. Does anyone know what they are? I suspect they move maintenance crew around the rail yard.

DSC_0043-1.jpg

DSC_0044-1.jpg

That's all for now.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

Thanks for the pictures.  I suspect the mini-densha are used for crew training purposes, the interiors appear to be fitted with displays, and there is a small platfrom adjacent with some indicator equipment.

from another angle:

http://basashi-diary.blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blog/_413/basashi-diary/IMG_1476.JPG

*I was at this area early in January, and the yard staff were using bicycles to get around (there is a concrete block pathway along the edge).

Traveling on a local from Hitachi Station to Iwaki Station. I shot tunnels, stations, bridges, track details and two work crews.

DSC_0055-1.jpg

DSC_0061-1.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0070-1.jpg

DSC_0071-1.jpg

DSC_0072-1.jpg

DSC_0074-2.jpg

DSC_0076-1.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0089-1.jpg