Modemo Hiroshima 5000 pictures release

Not sure if this has been posted yet but this is the updated version of the tram.

It looks like Modemo will be using the tried and true motor technology.  So no mini motor like Kato's.

Having said that, it looks like the motor is in the second compartment so aside from the weight from 1st (front), 3rd and 5th (back) car, one can see thru at least in one compartment.

http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/modemo-new.html

post-60-13569926873266_thumb.jpg

much nicer looking than the hodie! a lot less expensive as well!!!

aww come on bill you gotta have one! they look really nice snaking around tight curves! the feel very realistic as a street tram.

cheers

jeff

Bill I am surprised you are not biting it too.  If it is proved to be reliable, imagine going thru a S-Curve with that thing.

David, I think the logo on the Modemo website does state it has directional lights.

I have pre-ordered one from HWJ but am secretly hoping that Kato with release one with its latest Unitram motor design.

Can't wait ... can't wait :)

Bad Google Translation:

Point /

Reproduce every detail - the sculptural precision

5001 - Printed second car (second car can be changed by the transfer sheet)

Tail Lights - Headlights

• With flywheel mechanism

Stickers with / transfer sheet (can reproduce all the organization 12 second car)

A flywheel should lead to some smooooooth running.

That's a sweet train.  The only reason I didn't order one is that I don't really have a suitable line for it to run on, and it's outside my nominal zone of "around Tokyo" (which is how I keep from buying every neat model).  But oh, so tempting...

Bill I am surprised you are not biting it too.  If it is proved to be reliable, imagine going thru a S-Curve with that thing.

Modern low floor LRVs have no soul.  The windows don't open. There's no whiniing gears nor a thumping compressor, so I pass.

But I have got an European tram project under way using almost all Japanese tram supplies. But alas I am waiting for items, now delayed items from Japan.  Should have something to post about late March.  These days I'm just relaxing.

Modern low floor LRVs have no soul.  The windows don't open. There's no whiniing gears nor a thumping compressor, so I pass.

Kinda like my dislike of the the modern inverter EMUs.  You'd like Sapporo's streetcars, apart from a few inverter types, the rest are old-fashioned types, with old-fashioned sound.  I always take them to get to the library on the weekends.  This video is of the stretch around the library, which is the southern end of the simple u-shaped route.  Note compressor thump near the end around 3:50:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cV8tzNZ3BE&feature=related

• Like 1

Kinda like my dislike of the the modern inverter EMUs.  You'd like Sapporo's streetcars, apart from a few inverter types, the rest are old-fashioned types, with old-fashioned sound.  I always take them to get to the library on the weekends.  This video is of the stretch around the library, which is the southern end of the simple u-shaped route.  Note compressor thump near the end around 3:50:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cV8tzNZ3BE&feature=related

would it be wonderful to have a web cam on a tram! or even just a recording from the day before thats streamed the next day! amazing what the audio brings into this kind of video/scene.

jeff

Not yet. Its only been out a short time. I probably will get one eventually.

Hey Bill or others,

Did anyone get this one from Bachmann?

How well does it run?

Hey Bill or others,

Did anyone get this one from Bachmann?

How well does it run?

Running seems fine according to spookshow

http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/loco/bachwitt.html

However he's an American prototype modeler, so stuff like directional lighting is usually outside his radar and gets little mention, so the review doesn't specify if the decoder does anything special with the rear lights like the TCS M4T streetcar decoder, which attaches braking to a function key so that the rear lights work like the prototype (applying brakes slows the car and turns on the rear lights).

High resolution front and back pictures here

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-N-Trolley-p/bac-84651.htm

I wonder if there will ever be a day someone does a nice CLRV model in n scale (there has been a museum quality very limited run in HO). It's taller then the Witt car so plenty of room for a mechanism, and the design is 70s modern with lots of smooth edges making it easier to translate into a believable plastic model. Of course only one city runs them... The ICTS Mk1 (Scarborough RT) is another prototype that would nice in N scale before its gone: the cars are short, it's a 4 car formation, and it runs on fairly sharp curves meaning you could make a fairly realistic compressed copy of the Scarobrough RT line on an L shaped layout.

• Like 1

Just for the record the prototype of this car is a Baltimore United Railways (later Baltimore Transit 6000) built in 1930.  

http://www.btco.net/Vehicles/Witt/

Bachmann likes to build a single prototype and paint it in numerous color schemes, whether authentic or not.

A minor nitpick.  A car of that era should have the TTC monogram logo rather than the Keystone logo.

Hobby Dreamer

The Modemo looks great but does lack something - sort of looks like a string of cargo containers. Although not Japanese the Peter Witt looks great but its very tough to get figures and vehicles for the era. But a PCC may be around the corner and they are still being used in some cities. Bachmann is finally uping the ante from toys to scale models.

The big plus is that N.A. collectors will want track! So we may see some more variety. Hopefully from Tomix or Kato....

The Japanese trams seem to be selling well but you don't see that many layouts other than the Kato starter set. Hopefully the demand for trams will translate to turnouts for tram track!

Rick

One issue to note with the Bachmann Peter Witt.  I'm not sure if it can take Kato Unitram or Tomix curves out of the box unmodified.  US streetcar models are notorious for only running on train track radius.

Articles on modifying the HO version:

http://www.trolleyville.com/tv/school/lesson6_7/index.htm

http://www.trolleyville.com/tv/school/lesson5_4/index.htm

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster...

I can confirm that the Bachmann Peter Witt will take 140 mm curves - though any smaller might be a bit squeaky...

I remembered this set!  I saw it at Doors Open at the Greenwood Yard in Toronto 2 years ago.  I wish they come in N Scale but the market is too limited.

Hobby Dreamer
Rick, this is O gauge operating off the overhead with DCC.

Thanks Bill, I "believe" the shells are made in Russia, and if so I ordered one 2-3 years ago and am waiting for them to make a Toronto version again, as these are hand-made/custom made. One can get a display case for these with some modest scenery and that was the plan.

A TTC (Toronto) version is available at some sites (3rd party retailers) but is way over-priced for me.

Trams have been a sub-culture of the model train hobby because either the trams or the track has not been available or not of a certain quality. Or its custom made, limited availability etc.

The N-scale stuff from Japan is beyond my dreams.