Queensland flooding

CaptOblivious

Martijn Meerts

I must say though, some of the graffiti work makes the trains look kinda...nice.

When the perpetrators throw ballast at you or chase after your workmates with a cricket bat you lose your appreciation of it real quick. The TV news tonight said two of the culprits have been arrested. The train below was in the yard today, it got off lightly, some units have all cars painted.

The other photo is a few streets away from where I live where the contents of the homes are still piled up on the street waiting to be hauled away, despite the convoys of trucks it's still a common sight a week after the flood.

Generally, those kinda people are just taggers or simply out to vandalize. It used to be graffiti artists really were artists. Sure, they sprayed their "art" where they maybe shouldn't, but at least they the decency to not paint windows or anything to put safety at risk.

I must say though, some of the graffiti work makes the trains look kinda...nice.

When the perpetrators throw ballast at you or chase after your workmates with a cricket bat you lose your appreciation of it real quick. The TV news tonight said two of the culprits have been arrested. The train below was in the yard today, it got off lightly, some units have all cars painted.

The other photo is a few streets away from where I live where the contents of the homes are still piled up on the street waiting to be hauled away, despite the convoys of trucks it's still a common sight a week after the flood.

Generally, those kinda people are just taggers or simply out to vandalize. It used to be graffiti artists really were artists. Sure, they sprayed their "art" where they maybe shouldn't, but at least they the decency to not paint windows or anything to put safety at risk.

The fact that these criminals were out taking advantage of the situation and vandalizing public property while others in their own community were losing their possessions, homes, livelihoods and in a few unfortunate cases even their lives makes them the lowest of the low right down there with looters IMHO no matter how artistic their work. Most of the trains are signed with the vandals tag, on one of the trains in the yard yesterday I noticed two tags with a line beneath proudly proclaiming "a married couple", I walked away wondering if they took the kids with them and made it into a family outing. ???

I guess that if the local police could check Facebook, Youtube or had access to Twitter, they could catch a lot of the taggers.

Best wishes,

Grant

I believe they already have two in custody, but in the past they have been generally let go with little more than a slap on the wrist.

Agree with westfalen.  I have an uncompromising attitude towards tagging/grafiti, whether or not it's considered art by someone- it's vandalism plain and simple, and it attracts crime, as it implies- we don't give a sh*t about this building, train, or town.  If you want to display your art, do it on your own property.  One of the tenets of civilized society, IMO, with regards to shared spaces, equipment, books, or whatever, is to leave it the way you found it (hopefully it was clean at the beginning).

alpineaustralia

Couldnt agree more.

INMO it is not art - it is sh*t.

But it is irrelevant whether it is art or not. If they think it is art, let them put it on canvass and sell it.

I hate taggers etc.