Akihabara Station and Suigun Line blog

CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious

Hello all! How wonderful to have a forum for Japanese model railroading!

I thought I would advertise my construction blog here. I have two simultaneous projects going: A diorama of Akihabara Station (to be incorporated into a larger layout when I have space) and several small dioramas from the Suigun Line. I would love any sort of comments or criticism, and as a first-time model railroader, I've got lots of questions for you folks here.

http://akihabara.artificial-science.org

Guest Bernard

First off, welcome to JNS.

At first glance this is a highly organized and well documented blog. You have done some extensive research. You did a lot of tests on the WS, did you ever try or test any other bands of ballast? I have to admit ballasting is my least favorite part of modeling so I give you a lot credit for you extensive testing and research.

CaptOblivious

I haven't looked at anything other than WS; I also haven't started ballasting, so I'm not tied to anything yet. Any recommendations?

Advertisement: I'm writing up my Kato KIHA 110 DCC install tomorrow!

Guest Bernard

I too am using WS but I curious to try something else. I've been told that WS is made from ground up walnuts shells and tends to float when wetting it with white diluted glue. To prevent this from happening I first wet the WS with a mist of light alcohol, then the glue.

Maybe some of the other members will have a recommendation but here is a link to another ballast company BUT I've never tried it.

http://huntersceneryco.com/catalog/c4_p1.html

And this company makes real ballast for model RR:

http://www.rrscenery.com/

Guest bill937ca

If you really want to go Japanese, Tomix offers 4 colors of ballast.

Prices and descriptions taken from the Rainbow Ten web site:

0151601508147,TOMY,300YEN,8147 TRACK BALLAST(BROWN)

0151601508148,TOMY,300YEN,8148 TRACK BALLAST(GREY)

0151601508149,TOMY,300YEN,8149 TRACK BALLAST(LIGHT GRAY)

0151601508150,TOMY,400YEN,8150 TRACK BALLAST(F.MIX)

These bags appear to be about the size of Woodlawn Scenics bags.

CaptOblivious

I considered the Tomix stuff, especially the blend that matches Fine Track. But I can't seem to find what it's made out of, and it looks rather coarse from photos of ballasted layouts that I've seen. Nevertheless, I'm curious.

The Scenic Express stuff looks awesome, but none of it seems aimed at N-scale...it's all large scale stuff :( Maybe I'm wrong? The site is a little annoying to navigate and I might have missed something? Natural rock really would be best for my purposes, I think.

Kitty litter would be awesome if I weren't also lazy, and uninterested in investing time and money into grinders and sifters.

I think that in the end I will probably stick with WS: It's easy to obtain (I can just walk down the block and buy a bag), and it's properties are now a known entity to me (see: testing posts on my blog), and finally, results that I write up look to be more widely useful to others.

Still, if I do have opportunity to try out these other things, I would love to write up a comparison to WS. Thanks for the recommendations!

Guest Bernard

What also would be great is if any of the members would be willing to do a "How To" blog, which we could keep on file, on installing decoders in a Kato passenger train. (The instal on Tomix and MicroAce are a little different) One for the motor, one for the head & tail lights and even the passenger car lights.

I find a picture is worth a thousand words where you actually demonstrate how a decoder install is done. This is one area that is unique to the JPN model RR trains, because with most American prototypes all you have to do is install a decoder in the engine.

I have been pleased with "Highball Products" ballast. I guess it is real stone. After a mist of rubbing alcohol applied from a spray bottle, I then apply scenic cement with an eye dropper.

0_Series.JPG

Don,

Nice ballasting. Two questions, where did you get the Highball ballast (I wasn't sure if they made N scale) and what track are you using? I like the cement ties.

Don,

Nice ballasting. Two questions, where did you get the Highball ballast (I wasn't sure if they made N scale) and what track are you using? I like the cement ties.

I bought the ballast direct from walthers. www.walthers.com Yes,  they make N scale and even Z scale in an assortment of colors. The track is Peco code 55.

CaptO,

This looks really interesting I like how you put bracing on. That was a really nice gift your wife gave you knowing how much you enjoy model RRing. Keep the posts of your progress coming!

Hey all, it's not much, but I've been making progress.

Great! Cap. No matter how small,  it is always fun to see what others are doing...keep it coming...great blog you got there.