Colour help & Furniture

My daughter bought me Greenmax No 17 kit, the over rail covered walkway (old wooden style), as my layout will be generic and not any particular line, could anyone recommend a colour scheme for painting it.

Also, do any of you guys happen to know of anyone who produces office or hotel furniture, had a look on HW & HS without any success.

Thanks

If you are modeling the modern era, an off white or grey color would be the most prototypical.  Earlier eras would likely be greenish grey, or "natural" color (faded weatherstained brown?), as anything light colored would be stained by steam locomotive soot.

Hi Lawrence,

N Scale furniture - beyond picnic tables, benches, and luggage handling equipment has been almost non-existent.  I've had to resort to scratch-building most of mine in the past.  I did recently find and order some furniture from an outfit in Germany.  Here's the link if your interested:

http://www.luetke-modellbahn.de/shop/index.php?cPath=92_142

Hi Lawrence,

N Scale furniture - beyond picnic tables, benches, and luggage handling equipment has been almost non-existent.  I've had to resort to scratch-building most of mine in the past.  I did recently find and order some furniture from an outfit in Germany.  Here's the link if your interested:

http://www.luetke-modellbahn.de/shop/index.php?cPath=92_142

You can be assured I have been through your blog several times  :cheesy and was inspired by your furniture production, I even made an office chair myself but got the scale a bit wrong and ended up with something that would not go amiss in a junior school  ???

I checked out the link too, but got scared off by the prices  :sad:

I will persevere though and will pick up some more scratchbuild materials this weekend  :cool:

I enjoy interior modelling as much as anyone and have learned that you need to keep in mind the ultimate display environment.  If you will have interior lighting and the building will be either up near the front edge of the layout or featured in close-up photos, then it is well worth the effort to make a detailed interior.  But if there is no interior lighting or it is set back a bit, a simple interior will convey the same feeling as a highly detailed one.

That said, I have spent time painting the precast interiors, hanging signs and placing figures in Kato buildings without interior lights on my portable Unitram set.  But I do it just for my own enjoyment - not because anyone is ever likely to really see it. 

there are some chairs and tables done by faller. while they are patio chairs the can work inside at n scale

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/fal/fal272441.htm?source=froogle

and presser

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/psr/psr79554.htm?source=froogle

and gold metal etched brass basic chairs

http://www.goldmm.com/nscale/gmnsctyp.htm  (no picture, if you are interested ill scan mine)

and fancy cast iron patio furniture

http://ngineering.com/Tables.jpg

ill try and dig out my little experiments using fun foam and strip styrene and wire to make some simple couches and chairs and take some pictures. these were pretty convincing at a foot away and pretty easy to make with the chopper to cut up little bits to assemble. easy to make several of the kinds of tables in quinntopia's reference.

for regular plain chairs i would just use the gold metal or preiser chairs as trying to roll your own with tiny legs would be a lot of time!

cheers

jeff

I looked and cant find my table and chair tests, put away somewhere...

so i fiddled for a minute tonight with a couple of the ideas that i had thought worked well and were pretty easy.

first was the fun foam couch. simple chunks of fun foam glued together. second is a metal tubing chair for a desk or conference table.

cheers

jeff

post-25-13569926870059_thumb.jpg

post-25-1356992687098_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Whoa! Jeff! That chair looks amazing!  Exactly how did you create that? 

The sofa as well...really impressive looking!  I've never heard of 'fun foam' before....is it like foam board?

thanks guys. actually these are pretty simple and easy to do. the fun foam is 2mm thick foam rubber sheets you can get at the craft store cheap. cuts really easily with the chopper (http://www.nwsl.com/tools/cutting-tools-the-choppers-i-ii-iii). just chopped up bottom piece, a back and two ends and glued them together. like 3 mintues.

chair was just 34g wire that i bent up into the chair shape. then two little pieces of construction paper for the seat and back. would probably work better with 0.004" stainless rod as its a bit stiffer.

i played a bit with bending some 010 x .100 styrene strip into a basic plastic S chair shape and that might work, but is going to take something to hold its form. thinking that construction paper will work better.

on the tables i had built i had mounted them on square and tubular seed beads, but could bend up wire pretty easily like the chair to make U legs.

was thinking of how you could easily make a roll around 5 arm base chair. wondering if there is some tiny seed bead or sequin that would work...

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

Great work on the sofa and chair.  I've also made some tables and planters from beads.  You are absolutely right that wandering around in a craft store can lead you to a lot of interesting things.

The sofa looks great but the chair....that's amazing! Bending the wire to match on both sides is hard for me, but your chair looks flush to the floor. What is your secret to getting the sides to match?

Great work on the sofa and chair.  I've also made some tables and planters from beads.  You are absolutely right that wandering around in a craft store can lead you to a lot of interesting things.

yeah but i do feel self conscious after a while in there as i find the staff looks at me funny (maybe i just look funny in there, i am its usually about 95% female in AC Moore!). i think its because its not the normal looking directly for something search that you end up doing! they probably think im shoplifting!

btw, http://www.fusionbeads.com is a great online place to find small beads and parts that can be used for this sort of stuff cheap, no min order and free usps shipping!

cheers

jeff

Bernard,

i make a long U first and then just bend both sides at once with the needle nose pliers. trick is to make sure to have teh bend edge of the pliers perpendicular to the wire.

heres a sequence. i used 26g copper wire to show up better in the pictures, the more scale 34g wire which does not photo so well!

1. star with a long U with the bend end being the top of the back of the chair

2. make plier perpendicular to the wire for bend

3. bend back

4. bend leg down

5. bend bottom feet back

6. nip off with some to bend back connection

7. finis!

at $1.29 for a spool of 34g wire you can make chairs for less than a penny a piece! i have some fine nichrome wire coming which i hope will be a bit stiffer for fine bending. the 0.004" stainless wire (0.6" scale) is a bit too fine and the .012" a bit too bit (1.8" scale). have not found stiffer, straight stuff between those sizes yet, but the chair works from with the softer spool wires.

cheers

jeff

cheers

jeff

post-25-13569926873996_thumb.jpg

post-25-13569926875164_thumb.jpg

post-25-135699268758_thumb.jpg

post-25-1356992687664_thumb.jpg

post-25-1356992687705_thumb.jpg

post-25-13569926878222_thumb.jpg

post-25-13569926878615_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Jeff, if you change the sofa design slightly, you could have a shrink's office. Tissue?  :-)

Rich K. (does Tomytec offer "Seated Human with Notepad"?)

ok rich, heres your dr freud and patient on his chaise lounge. unfortunately the notes are blank, maybe a reflection of the figure as you cant read anything on his face!

cheers

jeff

post-25-13569926888662_thumb.jpg

post-25-1356992688899_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Quinntopia, you are most welcome.

turns out you can get all sorts of nice tiny diameter straight stainless steel wire and tubing on amazon cheap and qualifies for super saver shipping.

search on

Stainless Steel Wire Straightened and Stainless Steel Hypodermic thin wall Tubing

cheers

jeff

I guess I'll be able to order tons of those to my girlfriend! She's a jeweler, so she's used to work at this scale and even smaller!

:grin

Nice work anyway! :-)

Rich K.: Doc, im spending all my time and money on japanese model trams, ive become obsessed! i see tomix street rail shapes when i close my eyes, i dream of different layouts to setup the next day...

Doc: Zzooo do you think this has something to do with your mother?

well you make up the therapy dialog!

jeff

Lawrence,

yep that looks like the same stuff i picked up here in the craft store for $1.29. its nice scale, bit thin though. one issue with beading wire is its of a composition to be more flexible so the chair may crush with anything falling on it. the other issue is having to straighten the wire out before bending. on thin stuff this can be a challenge, but the chairs are so tiny that unless you are doing really close macro shots you will never see any of the little kinks.

on searching Amazon UK i dont see all the wonderful micro straightened stainless steel wires that are on Amazon.com unfortunately. If you want to try some of the cool thin stiffer wires drop me a pm and i can send you some pieces, i have a nice selection of them coming soon here and there will be an ample supply!

cheers

jeff

A bit lat to the party, but that's some amazing work with that chair!

Jeff - you need a collection of how-to's for your work! You've got so much to teach us aspiring scratch builders :)

As for the German N-scale furniture, it looks simple enough that I might be able to duplicatie it with my Proxxon micro mill...