Funding for your hobby, how much to set aside and how do you do it?

to2leo

I think one important thing that I learn is the willingness to sell some older items to get newer items.  It is always easy to buy but hard to let go.

Yeah, my 20th Century Limited auction just ended and now I'm experiencing seller's remorse.  I only got $315 for the whole set (my fault, I picked bad hours and only 3 days for the auction) and I'd really rather just keep it for that amount.  But, too bad, auction's over, now I have to let it go.  I keep telling myself "you don't even model HO anymore, you will never run this train".  As I get older, I'm really trying to get over my hoarder's mentality, where I use to have to keep absolutely everything I owned that was worth anything, even if I personally would never use it.  I think it's because I didn't have much as a kid, so now having things that are worth money gives me a feeling of security.

But, now I can get another Japanese train (if I so choose) and some track or a Denny's or something.  So hopefully once I get the new thing I'll forget about the old thing.

Hobby Dreamer
As I get older, I'm really trying to get over my hoarder's mentality, where I use to have to keep absolutely everything I owned that was worth anything, even if I personally would never use it.  I think it's because I didn't have much as a kid, so now having things that are worth money gives me a feeling of security.

Well said !!

Its a bad time to sell old hobby items because a lot of hobbyists are "dumping" items at below cost..  But I have a lot of other hobby items that are definitely surplus.

Funding is not a real issue as I have such a small collection of trams and a snow plow, and a few structures, vehicles etc... One great thing about trams is that one can get motorless ones at a very decent price!! I'm really inspired by IST and Jes and Quinntopia (especially the 1st 2 w.r.t. trams) and the last w.r.t everything (but especially the lighting and sharing of info!!)

Jes's site is new to me and shows how much one can do with almost no space!! 

I personally feel that Japanese N is well priced for the quality..

The nice part of this hobby is that once can "layer" their investment by getting track then structures then vehicles etc. 

Cheers

Rick

Don't smoke, gamble, drink only occasionally (one or two drinks, with a meal), and most importantly, don't own a car, with its associated costs of ownership  It helps I live in Japan, and that (from the social point of view of being single), women don't care if you're without a "ride".  In America- fuhgettaboutit- it's no car= this guy's a zero.  Shallow yes, but I'm from Southern California, and that's normal.  I hear the younger generation has different views, so good for them, they have more sense than my generation or the baby boomers.