Trainaway Tours 2011

westfalen

For those who might be interested, Brisbane based railfan tour operator Trainaway Tours who I have been to Japan with several times has announced another Japanese tour for 2011.

http://trainawaytours.com.au/tours.html

I had already booked on another tour to Argentina next November when I got word of it so at this stage I probably won't be going but they are going to a few interesting places that they haven't been to on previous tours.

bikkuri bahn

Looking at the itinerary, I see they have added a ferry crossing between Shikoku and Honshu.  I did this a couple of years ago, from Takamatsu to Uno, replicating a journey that rail travelers used to take before the opening of the Seto Bridge.  Always find a boat journey a nice interlude between riding trains.  Also, Onomichi is an interesting, atmospheric town, and the Sanyo Main Line winds through town on a nice alignment, seemingly unchanged from pre-war days, with numerous pedestrian-only crossings, old cut stone-banked fillings, and plenty of interesting angles for photography.  There is also a small auto/pedestrian ferry, possibly the shortest route in Japan?