Ghan's Japan Trip 2011 - Planning Help - 1. N'EX + Shinkansen + RailPass

The_Ghan

Hello Hello,

Well, after 20 year absence from Japan I'm finally planning another trip.  Brief history: I went to highschool in Kofu in '84-'85 for a year.  I visited Japan again in '87 for 2 weeks and again in '90 for 2 weeks.  This time, I am bringing my wife and possibly my parents, who are in their mid 70's, but fit and healthy travellers.  The aim of the trip is to revisit some of my favourite places as well as adding a few new things that I haven't done.  We plan to use the 21 day JR Rail Pass (Green) for most of our getting around.  ATM we are shooting for 3 weeks.  Because my parents would be arriving on a different flight we would meet up at Narita T2 and either fly directly to Fukuoka, or take the N'EX and Shinkansen.

Question 1:  Presume a plane is scheduled to land at 06:00.  How long does it take to clear customs and get to the N'EX station at Terminal 2?  Ie: is the N'EX 6 service departing at 08:16 appropriate?

Question 2:  I am looking at this timetable and wondering why there are two N'EX 6 services, each arriving at Tokyo at a different time? http://jreast-shinkansen-reservation.eki-net.com/pc/english/common/timetable/e_nex_u/index.html

Question 3:  Does the N'EX arrive at the same Tokyo Station that the Shinkansen to Fukuoka departs from?

Question 4:  N'EX 6 appears to arrive at Tokyo Station at 09:29 or 09:32.  Is this sufficient time to make the Shinkansen N25 departing at 10:10 for Fukuoka? http://english.jr-central.co.jp/info/timetable/_pdf/westbound.pdf

Question 5:  Most of my rail travel will be between Fukuoka and Tokyo.  Apparently that shinkansen has no Green Car.  Also, apparently the Nozomi service is not covered by the Rail Pass.  Am I wasting my money buying the JR Green class Rail Pass?

Question 6:  How do you get to Fukuoka by Shinkansen if you don't take the Nozomi service?  It appears that no other trains go that far!  Must I change trains?  If so, where and how?

Looking forward to your help.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Hello Hello,

Well, after 20 year absence from Japan I'm finally planning another trip.  Brief history: I went to highschool in Kofu in '84-'85 for a year.  I visited Japan again in '87 for 2 weeks and again in '90 for 2 weeks.  This time, I am bringing my wife and possibly my parents, who are in their mid 70's, but fit and healthy travellers.  The aim of the trip is to revisit some of my favourite places as well as adding a few new things that I haven't done.  We plan to use the 21 day JR Rail Pass (Green) for most of our getting around.  ATM we are shooting for 3 weeks.  Because my parents would be arriving on a different flight we would meet up at Narita T2 and either fly directly to Fukuoka, or take the N'EX and Shinkansen.

Question 1:  Presume a plane is scheduled to land at 06:00.  How long does it take to clear customs and get to the N'EX station at Terminal 2?  Ie: is the N'EX 6 service departing at 08:16 appropriate?

A: At least 2 hours! I don't think so.. NRT customs can be a nightmare sometimes... I tried this method before and I have to run all the way to the station in order to catch the train.

Question 2:  I am looking at this timetable and wondering why there are two N'EX 6 services, each arriving at Tokyo at a different time? http://jreast-shinkansen-reservation.eki-net.com/pc/english/common/timetable/e_nex_u/index.html

A : I am not sure..

Question 3:  Does the N'EX arrive at the same Tokyo Station that the Shinkansen to Fukuoka departs from?

A: Definitely. But I suggest you board your train from Shinagawa station instead.More convienient than Tokyo Station.N'EX platform is very deep and far away from the Shinkansen station! (NEX platform is in Basement 5 !! )(Look at these two maps and you will know what I mean..Tokyo station(http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/img/map_e/e1039.pdf ) Shinagawa station (http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e788.html)

Question 4:  N'EX 6 appears to arrive at Tokyo Station at 09:29 or 09:32.  Is this sufficient time to make the Shinkansen N25 departing at 10:10 for Fukuoka? http://english.jr-central.co.jp/info/timetable/_pdf/westbound.pdf

A. No.. Not enough time at all.. BTW, you reach the platform slowly , the train would have left! (Unless , you want to run all the way from B5 to the Shinkansen platform.

Question 5:  Most of my rail travel will be between Fukuoka and Tokyo.  Apparently that shinkansen has no Green Car.  Also, apparently the Nozomi service is not covered by the Rail Pass.  Am I wasting my money buying the JR Green class Rail Pass?

A: JR Green Car rail pass is for those who want to enjoy a 2-2 seating and 2-2 premium seating onboard the Shinkansen and Narita Express in peace and quiet settings. Yeah.. It 's a waste of money if you want to ride from Shin-Osaka to Fukuoka (If you want the Railstar service)(It is a one class only layout in 2-2 seating.. (Highly recommended for comfort! :grin )

Question 6:  How do you get to Fukuoka by Shinkansen if you don't take the Nozomi service?  It appears that no other trains go that far!  Must I change trains?  If so, where and how?

A: Shinagawa to Shin-Osaka or Okayama (Hikari service) Shin-Osaka or Okayama to Fukuoka ( Hikari Railstar service.. Very unusual and unique train I must say)

Cheers Chan  :grin

Possibly the train is a double that separates at Tokyo. One goes thru Shibuya and onwards to Ikebukuro. The other goes thru Shinagawa and onwards to Ofuna.

Just a guess on my part.

Best wishes,

Grant

bikkuri bahn
Question 1:  Presume a plane is scheduled to land at 06:00.  How long does it take to clear customs and get to the N'EX station at Terminal 2?  Ie: is the N'EX 6 service departing at 08:16 appropriate?

Actually, I have always found Narita customs to be quick and hassle free-they always take a quick look at my passport, ask a question where I came from (SFO), and wave me through (OTOH the regional airports always treat me as a potential dope smuggler, tho- i.e. comprehensive luggage checks). I suppose it depends on where you come from (from SE Asia/HK will likely get you flagged), plus crowding may be a factor.  Personally I think 2 hours is enough time, but 3 would allow a nice time cushion.

Question 2:  I am looking at this timetable and wondering why there are two N'EX 6 services, each arriving at Tokyo at a different time? http://jreast-shinkansen-reservation.eki-net.com/pc/english/common/timetable/e_nex_u/index.html

Those are departure times.  Two sections of the same train.  They uncouple at Tokyo Station and the Ofuna bound train leaves first, then followed by the Ikebukuro bound train.

*I recommend Hikari Rail Star too.  Green car is nice, especially for older folks.  My parents always buy the Green Car pass whenever they visit Japan.

Hi again,

Abandoning the Narita-Tokyo-Shinkansen plan for a connecting flight to Fukuoka.

I'd like to travel on a few different Shinkansen on the trip from Fukuoka to Tokyo.  The rough plan is looking like this:

Fukuoka area - 2 days

Hiroshima - 2 days

Hmeji - 2 days

Osaka - 2 days

Kyoto Nara - 3 days

Takayama - 2 days

Nagoya - 2 days

Hakone - 2 days

Tokyo - 4 days

I cannot find the Railstar Hikari timetable.

I would also like to ride on several different Shinkansen, including the 500 series (second only to the 0 Series in my opinion ... but I don't want to start a fight).

Advice from experienced rail fans appreciated.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Hi again,

Abandoning the Narita-Tokyo-Shinkansen plan for a connecting flight to Fukuoka.

I'd like to travel on a few different Shinkansen on the trip from Fukuoka to Tokyo.  The rough plan is looking like this:

Fukuoka area - 2 days

Hiroshima - 2 days

Hmeji - 2 days

Osaka - 2 days

Kyoto Nara - 3 days

Takayama - 2 days

Nagoya - 2 days

Hakone - 2 days

Tokyo - 4 days

I cannot find the Railstar Hikari timetable.

I would also like to ride on several different Shinkansen, including the 500 series (second only to the 0 Series in my opinion ... but I don't want to start a fight).

Advice from experienced rail fans appreciated.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Here 's my suggestion..

Kyoto(Sights to see)

1)(Gion District , the Geisha 's street) At kyoto station , head for the JR Nara Line to Tofukuji. Then take the Keihan Line to Gion-Shijo) Arrived there and walk all the way until you see a old-looking street (That 's the one) (Things to buy : Some Geisha souvenirs at some shops)

2)The golden temple(Kinkakuji) At Kyoto station , take the Kyoto metro Karasuma Line to Karasuma-Oike , Change to Kyoto metro Tozai Line and ride to Uzumasa-Tenjingawa. Next, hop onto the Keifuku streetcar (Arashiyama Line@ Randen Tenjingawa) and change to the Kitano Line at Katabiranotsuji bound for: Kitano-hakubaicho ... Next head out of the station and walk to your left handside about 10-20 minutes until you see the entrance to the temple.

3) Kurama Temple)A temple in the mountains)First , take the JR Nara Line to Tofukuji. Next take the Keihan Line all the way to Demachiyanagi. Then, take the Eizan Kurama Line all the way to Kurama. (The terminus) next.. Arrived at the temple. You can choose to hike up or take the Temple Funicular(100 yen) to the temple building)

Nara..

If you want to visit the whole of Nara efficiently, it 's best not to take JR trains at all.. Take Kintetsu instead. http://www.kintetsu.co.jp/foreign/english/spot/nara2.html#4

That 's all for my recommendation.. :)

Hyperdia http://www.hyperdia.com/ shows Hikari Railstar services, for finding which are 500's a good idea would be to buy a JR timetable when you arrive as it shows which trains are operated by 500 series. I've been trying to find my timetable from my last trip but I have a hunch the Kodama services numbered in the 800's are worked by 500 series, we rode one from Kokura to Hakata, I think most continued on to or from Hakata Minami.

I think the 500's are third after the 0's and 100's. :grin

Thanks Westfalen,

I found this timetable.  Are any of these RailStar???  Are the times marked [500] eg: K730 departing Hakata at 06:15 the 500 series trains???

Cheers

The_Ghan

bikkuri bahn

From Shin Osaka, all services leaving at xx:59 time are Hikari Railstar, and from 12 noon to 6pm at the 22 minute mark are Hikari Railstar. There are a few more in the early morning and late evening hours also.

Hyperdia http://www.hyperdia.com/ shows Hikari Railstar services, for finding which are 500's a good idea would be to buy a JR timetable when you arrive as it shows which trains are operated by 500 series. I've been trying to find my timetable from my last trip but I have a hunch the Kodama services numbered in the 800's are worked by 500 series, we rode one from Kokura to Hakata, I think most continued on to or from Hakata Minami.

I think the 500's are third after the 0's and 100's. :grin

BTW.. There 's no need to buy a JR Timetable. You can get the Shinkansen timetable free of charge at the ticket windows(There are displayed neatly on a rack.. )

Ghan,

Thought of flying into Osaka-Kansei instead? I find immigration & customs at KIX usually very quick and efficent. Also time to get to ShinOsaka or Kyoto using the Haruka LE from KIX airport station reasonable (53 mins from KIX to ShinOsaka). I always ask at the info desks at the main stations or at the JR ticket desks at the airports for an English language timetable and usually get one free covering all Limited Expresses and Shinkansen. Does not matter if slightly out of date - I think they are updated quarterly - as the trains times do not vary by much.

Just about to start planning my Japan trip for this year (holiday rather than usual business trip) looking at going in May after golden week and hopefully when a bit warmer - last two years went in March/April and got so cold/wet at stations ended up now and then taking any train (best part about the JR Rail Pass) for short trips to get warm again! Upside of this jumping on random local trains was seeing much more of real Japan off the tourist trails.

Try going to Shikoku - take the Shiokaze LE from Okayama - you can go down to Matsuyama and back in a day. Great scenery as line follows the coast and the Castle with its cherry trees and ornamental gardens in Matsuyama is well worth the trip.

Hi yakumo,

This seems to be good advice ... also ties in nicely with an Asian cruise that my parents want to take, which ends in Kobe on May 2nd.

Thanks

The_Ghan