36 Views of Mt. Fuji

The New Year greetings got me to thinking - every Japanese layout needs a view of Mt. Fuji.  Here is one from my layout..... would be happy to see other views you may have.

post-396-13569926800565_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful.

And you're right. I need to find some way to get an image of Fuji-san on my layout backdrop.  I hadn't thought of that before, but for a Kanto-region layout, it's pretty important.

Smithsonian channel had a HD program on a shuttle mission that had a japanese scientist on board. he got a great shot of mt fuji, was pretty amazing to see it from space. amazingly 3D.

cheers

jeff

probably can find a spanish galleon that could be made into the pirate boat! it is quite the kitch scene!

heres another fun water object that should be on your layout!

cheers

jeff

post-25-13569926805747_thumb.jpg

Krackel Hopper

I had hoped this would be somewhat close to N scale.. sadly it is way too big..

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig12/10127966b2.jpg

Back to the subject at hand.  Like Martijn said, I'll have a view of Fuji once I have a layout.. heh..

I've been considering a Ttrak module, making a "double corner module" for a 180* curve.  Inside the curve, creating a cartoon Fuji.. like the ones found on the Kato Fujisan limited express.

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig04/10042185a3.jpg

That's what I am hoping to capture here over time.... different interpretations on a theme.  Any and all are welcome.  Note that in the traditional prints Fuji-san is rarely the center of attention - it lingers in the background somewhere.

Fuji-san may be a bit too obvious in the first photo, but I kind of like it anyway.  You can also catch a glimpse of Fuji from the elevated expressway.

post-396-1356992681531_thumb.jpg

post-396-13569926815846_thumb.jpg

Bernard:

They were custom-made by CMR.  I have a gentlemen's agreement with them that they will not commercially release copies of the buildings they made for me, but they indicated that they might like to sell those cranes and I did not object.  You might keep an eye on their website kit listing or even send them an e-mail.

post-396-13569926817095_thumb.jpg

Bernard,

as things to scratch build these are actually not all that bad to attempt, its mainly styrene strip. biggest issue would be to have a mini table saw to cut up a lot of very good precise sized strips from 040 styrene for the job, rest is a lot of strip work mainly. there was at least one, but i think two MR articles on building container cranes like this in the past. i may have scans of those somewhere as i have always been fascinated by them (growing up in oakland ca on the docks very near the container docks).

the CRM ones are a big simpler than some of the scratch built ones i have seen, but the CRM ones do a great job presenting the basic crane with the detail they have. Burt industries use to make one, but they seemed to go away a few years back, but paula's hobbies on ebay seems to have the same or very similar items (container cranes and container ships) from time to time.

cheers

jeff

Bernard:

They were custom-made by CMR.  I have a gentlemen's agreement with them that they will not commercially release copies of the buildings they made for me, but they indicated that they might like to sell those cranes and I did not object.  You might keep an eye on their website kit listing or even send them an e-mail.

Even though it doesn't have a shot of Mt. Fuji in it, this shot shows a lot of detail. Great cargo ship, was that also scratch built?

Great cargo ship, was that also scratch built?

Yes, it was scratch-built.  The ship name is one of the things I have hidden in the layout for people to find (if they can read Japanese).  Jeff already knows, so no fair telling!

Claude_Dreyfus

Because I am anal, Mount Fuji cannot feature on our layout; despite being located in more or less the same prefecture. When viewing Yamanouchi Oshika from the front, you are effectively looking north, whereas Fuji is located more or less to the south...pretty much where I have superimposed it to this picture... :grin

post-141-13569926835573_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Everyone must follow his own path.  For me the joy of modelling is that everything can be exactly as YOU want it to be - on my layout Shinagawa station is one block from Ginza.