Hatsunode - Happy New Year

gmat

Happy New Year. TV Tokyo, Channel 6 in Tokyo tracked the first sunrise in Japan/Tokyo. Other stations later followed.

From my Apt.

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Great day in Tokyo. Hope that everyone has a great one too.

Best wishes,

Grant

Martijn Meerts

Happy new year and all that =)

Just turned 2011 in the Netherlands, same ol' crap on the tv, except for the minute they showed about new years in Tokyo with practically no fireworks and people going to temples and such. Lovely pictures of snow covered temples and gardens. Immediately felt like going to Tokyo for new years next year =)

Happy New Year everyone.

That great view of Fuji first thing on New Year's day ought to be a good omen of things to come in 2011.

I was driving a train at midnight and getting a warning call on the radio from a train coming the other way that someone at a party beside the track had thrown something at him and shattered his windshield, but other than my train getting six windows kicked out onto the side of the track earlier in the evening I had good night.

People take a visit to the local shrine to pray for the New Year.

DSC_0002-2.jpg

A steady stream of people waiting to pray. About five years ago, shrines posted a sign showing the proper way to pray. My wife reminded me on the way to the shrine. A man ahead of us didn't follow the accepted way and someone behind commented on that. It turned out that he apparently knew the man as he came by to say hello.

DSC_0003-1.jpg

Water to wash your hands and also to rinse your mouth to cleanse yourself.

DSC_0010.jpg

Old talismans and New Year decorations are left here to be properly disposed of. There was a fire for those who came at midnight. The shrine also served warm sake.

DSC_0004-1.jpg

Sorry, it may seem like dumpster diving, but to those who are curious, these are last years talismans (the arrows) and I believe, New Year decorations. (the sheafs of rice stalks?) They will probably be burned by the priests with suitable prayers.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

Behind the shuttered doors is a stage for Noh Performances, I believe. The casket on the side is for sake and was probably used last night.

DSC_0006.jpg

Step up, throw in some money, ring the bell, bow twice, clap twice, pray, bow twice, step down.

DSC_0008.jpg

You can go in and buy the arrow for good luck for next year here.

DSC_0009-1.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 2

Grant,

as usual, great detail photos for scene ideas! thanks! great idea to have a line up like that at a small temple!

jeff

CaptOblivious

Man, I miss Tokyo around New Year's. Thanks for the nice photos, Grant!

Akemashite omeditou gozaimasu!

Since we just sit around at home during the holidays, my wife suggested that we walk to the local supermarket. Since we we we going that way, we went a bit further to Gotokuji Temple, in Setagaya. She calls it the Cat Temple, as will be made clear later.

A dead giveaway that there is a temple or shrine around are the presence of Japanese pine trees.

DSC_0009-2.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

Many people visit the grave sites so the temple has a special stand selling flowers and the green incense sticks to put in front of the headstone.

DSC_0016.jpg

Tents to sell temple related goods. An important source of revenue for any temple and shrine.

DSC_0018.jpg

Sweetcakes in the shape of the Manenekko, the cat doll that brings good fortune.

DSC_0019.jpg

You can also buy the dolls in different sizes. That's part of the reason why we call it the Cat Temple.

DSC_0024.jpg

Covered Incense Bowl. You take some incense sticks, light them and put it into the bowl. Some people give a small donation.

DSC_0020.jpg

The smoke is supposed to have a curative power so with your hand, you waft some smoke towards the parts of your body that you want affected. My wife directed some towards my head. I wonder why. Most people just waft it towards their faces.

DSC_0021-1.jpg

You stick the incense sticks in like this.

DSC_0022.jpg

You get and light the incense here.

DSC_0023-1.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

Praying here. My wife said that you don't clap at temples. I only pray that I can help my wife better, but it doesn't seem to help so much.

DSC_0025-1.jpg

More to come.

Grant

You write a message or wishes for the next year on the small boards and hang them here.

DSC_0026-2.jpg

DSC_0027-3.jpg

This small temple building is dedicated to the Manenekko dolls. You can also pray here.

DSC_0034-2.jpg

See the photo of the lady below.

DSC_0029-1.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

This lady is getting some water to put in the bucket seen on the shelfs. She'll use it to put water in the vase to hold the flowers. But more important, she'll use it to wash and scrub the headstone and brickstone around the grave and pour water on the headstone as if offering a drink to the departed soul. .

DSC_0056.jpg

There is a small gate in front of the small temple building, but I neglected to take a photo of it. There is a stone basin to hold water behind the gate. But it's empty.

DSC_0032.jpg

This is on the other side of and also behind the gate.

DSC_0040.jpg

This is the reason we call it the Cat temple. People who wish to discard their manenekko dolls can bring them here, to be later disposed of properly.

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0038-2.jpg

DSC_0039-2.jpg

More to come.

Grant

The other reason to visit here today ay to see the grave of Ii Naosuke. Since she stopped working, my wife has been doing a lot of reading and she read a historical novel about the end of the Edo area. Ii Naosuke was an official of the Bakufu, or Shogunate. He was also the daimyo or lord of Hikone ken, now a city in Shiga Prefecture. My wife said that he was a gifted official. He negotiated the Harris Treaty with Townsend Harris. So he was assassinated. Seatgaya, or this part of Seatgaya at least, belonged to the clan that he came from, which is why he ended up being buried here and not in his home prefecture.

This is a marker board for his grave.

DSC_0041.jpg

His grave site.

DSC_0042-1.jpg

Other graves.

DSC_0043.jpg

Some renovation has been carried out for some graves.

DSC_0044.jpg

Old pieces of the graves are stored here.

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

A row of jizos, or bonze statues.

DSC_0049.jpg

I do not know why people put the stones on this statue.

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0053-1.jpg

The pagoda has a cat as part of its structure. One on each tier.

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

These Ginko nut trees were cut down a few years ago. Pity, as they were  beautiful and you could collect ginko nuts each fall.

DSC_0057.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

Last Sunday, my wife and I went on the first hike of the New Year to Takao mountain.

Some photos of Mt. Fuji. The first three are from the rest area behind the temple area and the last one taken down slope near the stand that sells amazake, a sweet rice wine.

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032-1.jpg

DSC_0034-3.jpg

DSC_0041-1.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant