Ten Rules for Riding a Japanese Train

Guest ___

I came across this while hunting for station signs for a project I'm working on. I think this was on a Ninja-Pengy blog or something like that. Personally, I am a bit disappointed by the lack of Suica stuff on there, but that's just me.

1. If the train is crowded and you will be riding for several stops, put any bags you’re carrying onto the overhead racks. Do not hit anyone when you do this.

2. If standing, put your bag between your legs if you are a man, and if you are a woman, hold your bag in your arm. If seated, put your bag between your legs if you are a man, and if you are a woman, hold your bag on your lap.

3. Give up your seat, or any seats recently made available, to elderly, pregnant, and physically disabled passengers. This is especially true for “priority” and “silver” seats: specially-colored seats reserved specifically for passengers with special needs. Note: having too much luggage is NOT a special need.

4. The overhead rings and hand bars exist for a reason. If you are a train-riding n00b, use them. Train surfing takes a bit of practice, and everyone around you has ridden the train twice a day, everyday of their life. They can train surf in their sleep, and oftentimes they do.

5. You may notice passengers using the train car doors to enter and exit the train. Do not block these doors.

6. Do not stare, look, or otherwise open your eyes in the general direction of another human being. It is rude. Occupy your eyes with the view outside, the overhead advertisements, the Internet on your cell phone, a Nintendo DS, or a newspaper. If you would like to perpetuate the negative stereotypes that Japanese people have about foreigners, then by all means, stare at other people.

7. Sleeping is perfectly acceptable and recommended (see #6). Do not fall asleep on those around you. Without saying a word, they will shift around uncomfortably, making sleep difficult for you.

8. Do not, under any circumstances, start a conversation with a stranger. (See Part 4 for how to get off at the right stop).

9. Do not talk on your cell phone. In addition to being against train regulations, it is rude, and incredibly annoying to those around you.

10. If you are traveling with a friend, keep your voice down. Speaking in a language that no one around you understands does not make you any less of an annoyingly rude foreigner.

In conclusion, break any of these rules if doing so would result in a more enjoyable train riding experience. After all, you are a crazy foreigner and people expect you to behave like one. I find I get less stares when I’m doing something out of the ordinary than when I am acting like everyone else around me.

CaptOblivious

I would hope that these rules would apply to all trains, rather than just the ones in Japan. And the bus.

These rules do very much apply to the trains in St Louis. Too bad every day is opposite day here. People are more than happy to block the doors, talk very loudly, take your things when you fall asleep, take up several seats with luggage and bags, refuse to relinquish seats to the elderly and disabled, oh and stare. Still, at least we have a train here...and I love it.

Off Topic: Although we won't have a train for long; Metro just lost a major ballot issue that would have prevented the discontinuation of huge chunks of rail and bus public transportation in the area, and now we face fewer bus routes with service only once an hour (not in the 'burbs: In the middle of the city!) and severely reduced and partially eliminated train service. As someone who depends on this stuff to get around, I couldn't be angrier. Grr.

hahaha in Japan it is such a common thing for the person next to you to doze off and rest their head on your shoulder.  when its a cute girl i dont mind, but plenty of times i have had to give them a little nudge and tell them to get off my shoulder!

hahaha in Japan it is such a common thing for the person next to you to doze off and rest their head on your shoulder.  when its a cute girl i dont mind, but plenty of times i have had to give them a little nudge and tell them to get off my shoulder!

I've been accosted by the schoolgirls but not on the train, nor ever had one fall asleep on me. It's always the drunk business men. This seems to hold true even at 8am in the morning.

I've actually seen Japanese commuters grabbing a few seconds sleep while riding the escalator at station. :sleepy1:

These rules and the fact that Japanese follow them are one of the things that makes train riding there a pleasure rather than an experience.

These rules and the fact that Japanese follow them are one of the things that makes train riding there a pleasure rather than an experience.

Yes, I hear you there.  Though riding the Tokyu Den-En Toshi Line during the morning rush would most definitely qualify as an "experience".  But otherwise, I can relax without worrying about things I have encountered/heard about elsewhere: 1. brawling passengers (and that's just the women!) and mentally unstable homeless screaming (SF Muni bus or trams), or, 2. juvenile pickpockets and aggressive talentless on board buskers (certain Paris metro lines).

mentally unstable homeless screaming (SF Muni bus or trams)

My experiences indicate that any part of downtown SF is like this, though many of them are nocturnal (during the day the Xenu people are there to pick up the slack)

5. You may notice passengers using the train car doors to enter and exit the train.

Weird!

6. Do not stare, look, or otherwise open your eyes in the general direction of another human being.

8. Do not, under any circumstances, start a conversation with a stranger.

Finally, a nation suited to my social skills.

9. Do not talk on your cell phone. In addition to being against train regulations, it is rude, and incredibly annoying to those around you.

It's good to know that a civilized society exists somewhere on this planet...

5. You may notice passengers using the train car doors to enter and exit the train.

Weird!

6. Do not stare, look, or otherwise open your eyes in the general direction of another human being.

8. Do not, under any circumstances, start a conversation with a stranger.

Finally, a nation suited to my social skills.

It's good to know that a civilized society exists somewhere on this planet...

I can tell you right now, those rules do not seem to apply to Tokyo.

Mudkip Orange

I don't see anything on there about having your friend bring a TR-606 drum machine and and a microphone, so I guess the Yamanote freestyle rap project is still acceptable?