What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

23 hours ago, al camino said:

Shipment with Storage boxes for 7 pcs. 20m coaches arrived in customs in FRA after 5 day between airport Tokyo and airport in Germany.

I am curious for the storage boxes.

And will get some Tracksetta templates (by PECO) offered as *bargain* items.

These were cheaper including shipping and tax compared to stores here (and even chaeper considering the BREXIT to come).

Bah! 😞

A DHL service van parked on the other side of the street, the guy looked around, jumped back into the van and I couldn't grab him before driving away.

Then called postal service to try to get the curier (he is collecting the tax) back to my address.

But I heard the parcel will go to the customs. Why don't they print this in tracking.

Had stayed at home extra not to miss the curier.

So next week I'll visit the customs 7km away from here.

Stay tuned ...

• Sad 1

Because of the general Koki rule and due to my weakness for containers, I have 2 Tomix 104s with older Kuroneko Yamato containers on their way to me. Bless you Yodobashi points!!

One down the road in Fukuoka which should be with me tomorrow and the other from Osaka which i should get by Wednesday.

Looks like my expectations have been exceeded on delivery. This was waiting for me as i arrived home.

AA8B962A-0E1A-4EFC-9C2D-E006B5329ED9.jpeg

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 5

Wait until you find out how nice Gauge 1 is. Even in thought of becoming older. Age aks for larger items.

And beware of 1:20.3 ! I know what I am talking of. Nice Shay. Nice Heisler - and a Climax - and some sidconnected logging trucks - and a caboose (only one!) - hey there is a bargain short caboose ... and so on ...

7 hours ago, al camino said:

Wait until you find out how nice Gauge 1 is. Even in thought of becoming older. Age aks for larger items.

And beware of 1:20.3 ! I know what I am talking of. Nice Shay. Nice Heisler - and a Climax - and some sidconnected logging trucks - and a caboose (only one!) - hey there is a bargain short caboose ... and so on ...

Me with HOe trains that still don't have a layout to run on.

"Oh, these are cheap and I've always wanted one."

"Oh, this one looks neat...and this one...and this one..."

Several packages and lots of trains later:

"I need to build a layout."

• Haha 3

Thanks! It's the most recent D51 I've bought. I don't think it had ever been out of its box before I got it. I've attached all the detail parts and numbered it since the photo was taken. Like the rest of my fleet of Kato D51s it runs very sweetly and can haul a decent load. 

Meanwhile, a few new models have arrived. One is an N scale 9800 class 0-6-6-0 from MicroAce. The reason I'm posting it here is because I only want it for a mechanism for an HOe/HOn30 loco I'm building for the Belgian Congo cameo. It's a lovely little model, I almost feel bad about hacking it up. 🤔

spacer.png

The other arrival was this extraordinary machine:

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's the Bachman/Kairyu model of the South Manchurian Railway's DB3 class 4-4-4T. Veteran forum members may recall we had a discussion thread about them here:

I've been fascinated by these engines since seeing the remains of one at Changchun many years ago, so when I was offered the model at a good price I wasn't saying no. It's only had a test run on the rolling road and the Kitchenbenchbahn, but first impression is that it's a sweet runner as well. Now I need to find out what sort of cars it pulled...

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 5
shadowtiger25

well, just finshed paying for a preoder that hurts the bank

Worked extra for weeks to pay this one off

And Damn is DHL expesive.. just the shipping alone was worth 2 cars at ~160 USD. But then again I guess I'm paying to compete for limited space on a plane packed full of other things that are far more important than a model train

Oh, well, in the end this is a train I have wanted since I first found an interest in the Japanese ficid of this hobby and NEVER thought I would get the chance to get one outside of scowering for years on the used market as they almost never pop up. And certainly not as a full set. So the moment I saw the preorder open I ended up reserving the last one on Hobbysearch at 3 am one night on impulse. certainly not doing that again

Unless they release a new run of the Type 500 shinkansen. but I digress 

Anyway, I plan on taking pictures when it arrives and as I process it to have people and accurate interiors If I could find any pictures of it that is. If you know of any, PLEASE drop me a line 

Anyway... Now to look for a C62-2 Takaido style and a EF56 eventually 

Dont mind the OHANI 61. that was a different preorder that just happened to also come out this month

Tenshodo 57048 1/80(HO) Limited Express `Tsubame` Coach (J.N.R. Grape Color) Standard Four Car Set (Basic 4-Car Set) (Plastic Product) (Model Train) HO Scale,16.5mm Gauge,1/80 Pre-Colored Completed,Passenger Car
Item price: 42,000 yen  x  Q.T.Y: 1  =  42,000 yen

Tenshodo 57049 1/80(HO) Passenger Car Type SUHA44 Coach (J.N.R. Grape Color) (Additional Coach for Limited Express `Tubame`) (Plastic Product) (Model Train) HO Scale,16.5mm Gauge,1/80 Pre-Colored Completed,Passenger Car
Item price: 9,000 yen  x  Q.T.Y: 3  =  27,000 yen

Tenshodo 57050 1/80(HO) Passenger Car Type SURO60 Coach (J.N.R. Grape Color) (Additional Coach for Limited Express `Tubame`) (Plastic Product) (Model Train) HO Scale,16.5mm Gauge,1/80 Pre-Colored Completed,Passenger Car
Item price: 9,000 yen  x  Q.T.Y: 4  =  36,000 yen

Tramway TW61-03B 1/80(HO) J.N.R. Combine OHANI61 Brown, Ready to Run, Painted (Pre-colored Completed) (Model Train) HO Scale,16.5mm Gauge,1/80 Passenger Car
Item price: 8,550 yen  x  Q.T.Y: 1  =  8,550 yen

Subtotal Cost                  113,550 yen
HobbySearch Shipping Cost       16,213 yen
Total Cost                     129,763 yen

• Like 2
shadowtiger25
On 12/19/2020 at 8:40 AM, marknewton said:

The other arrival was this extraordinary machine:

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's the Bachman/Kairyu model of the South Manchurian Railway's DB3 class 4-4-4T. Veteran forum members may recall we had a discussion thread about them here:

I saw one of those in war fatigues one time while visiting a friend in Florida. I dont know if it was custom painted or factory, but it was an interesting loco owned by an... interesting man that was a little to in to German steam from a certain time. If it wasn't for the fact I was helping him with an issue on LokProgramer, I would have not talked to him

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, shadowtiger25 said:

I saw one of those in war fatigues one time while visiting a friend in Florida. I dont know if it was custom painted or factory, but it was an interesting loco owned by an... interesting man that was a little to in to German steam from a certain time. If it wasn't for the fact I was helping him with an issue on LokProgramer, I would have not talked to him

My friend who's a professional model builder calls those folks "wehraboo" (a combination of wehrmacht and weeaboo).  They're unfortunately all too common at the scale model shows here as well.

2 hours ago, shadowtiger25 said:

I saw one of those in war fatigues one time while visiting a friend in Florida. I dont know if it was custom painted or factory, but it was an interesting loco...

If it looked like this it was a factory paint scheme.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/21067/bachmann_china_jks0012_kawasaki_db3_class_4_4_4_tank_engine_in_traditional_camouflage_livery/stockdetail.aspx

Cheers,

Mark.

1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

My friend who's a professional model builder calls those folks "wehraboo" (a combination of wehrmacht and weeaboo).  They're unfortunately all too common at the scale model shows here as well.

I know what the Wehrmacht is, but "weeaboo"? You'll have to explain that one for me. 🤔

Cheers,

Mark.

Weeaboo (often shortened to weeb) is a somewhat derogatory term for non-Japanese people obsessed with Japanese culture, usually especially anime and manga.  It usually has the connotation for one who is actually uninformed about what Japan is really like, and usually bases their assumptions and obsession off of a few popular anime they've watched.  They love Japan the "product" as stereotype whitewashed product in western media, rather than any experience with the actual place and people.  

Obviously most people who are interested in Japanese culture do not fall into this category, but the term is slang for people who are obnoxious, immature, and ignorant about their love for Japan, usually used for the less savory anime fans.

In reference to the wehraboo, he uses it to mean someone who has a unhealthy obsession with nazi germany as well as nazi icons and vehicles.  Usually without a nuanced appreciation for why most people have a aversion to them in the first place.  Many "wehraboo" love to stick swastika on their models, even when historically said vehicle wouldn't be found with such emblems.  Not to say people can't build models of Nazi tanks or IJN ships for that matter, but more that some people seem to be worryingly unconcerned with the historical societies they were built and used by.

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
shadowtiger25
45 minutes ago, marknewton said:

Yes, that's it. It does appear that it was factory, and makes me wonder what the prototype went threw over its life.

The owner originally thought it was German as apparently there was one similar before finding out that it was chinse from me

2 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Yeah... I dont see them to often but it shocked me when the members of that club basicly forced me in to talking to him. I guess just because I model Japanese steam or what ever.

I could at least apricate the fact he was trying to be accrete in the sounds of the locomotives as thats the main reason I talked to him. He was confused on how to make custom sound profiles using LokProgramer, thinking you could just update one sound on a loco, when you have to basicly add that sound to a profile and put the whole profile on the loco... which was not how I wanted to spend 2 and 1/2 hours of the 3 hours that I was at the club before their hours ended....

And it was a nice model of the C&O/Cheesie/CSX main line from Huntington, WV through Charleston WV to greenbrier and on. Which is the line I grew up near and rail fanned for many years before moving to TN. So yeah...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Being German such people make me feel really uncomfortable because most of them are not take a critical look at the whole topic but just glorify it through the roof.

Nice haul on the passenger cars, @shadowtiger25. (Hit RG-Rokko up next time, it would‘ve saved you 15k here)

• Like 1
shadowtiger25

Well, Got my package in today. damn DHL was fast with this one, less that 24 hours to get this shipped halfway across the globe

anyway, the cars are beautiful! I expected them to be great as I have tenshodo's Niseko, but the detail inside is more than I expected! the seats are mostly painted already which saves me hours of work to do it!

However the dinning car and the first class lounge car I feel could use some more detail that I will gladly start planning as soon as I can find some pictures of what it might have looked like.

not to mention planning on filling this thing up with people! every seat to fill as this train was always a sold out ride, to the point of JNR organizing a sister train, so packed it must be! Although the dining seats are very small and the lounge car seats are huge so I have to find a way to make people fit in those. Also I need to decide if I want someone on the back deck...

The 4 car basic set had the cars already numbered, however the add on cars you have to number yourself which was a little annoying, but with only one decal per side of 7 cars it didn't take me long to finish them, as well as the brake lines. which compared to most jappanese HO where you have to do 4-6 per side it really was not too bad.

Over all I love this model! I worked hard for it, and I shall enjoy it for the rest of my life along with my Niseko and others

On my work in progress layout that I will work on eventualy

photo5143145920630728895.thumb.jpg.99a42b477387f9ad49b7bbc3d2d0c37d.jpgphoto5143145920630728894.thumb.jpg.4aa18983a0b024f8a2abcde4231d8071.jpg

Interiors of cars 

photo5143145920630728892.thumb.jpg.ad04d9da821cd399fa9b3aff74c1ec15.jpgphoto5143145920630728893.thumb.jpg.80432a0f133fa7138ed7238fcc934768.jpgphoto5143145920630728891.thumb.jpg.9ac24c583f255c49e48027e52df6f2fa.jpgphoto5143145920630728889.thumb.jpg.33c6a4c67578b45e1da43a922b5a8632.jpg

photo5143145920630728890.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 12/28/2020 at 5:34 PM, Kiha66 said:

Weeaboo (often shortened to weeb) is a somewhat derogatory term for non-Japanese people obsessed with Japanese culture, usually especially anime and manga

I understand now. It's an appropriate description for one of the young blokes at work. When he found out I modelled JNR he started jabbering at me about anime, cosplay, maid cafes, Pokémon and other inconsequential BS. I greatly disappointed him when I explained that I was only interested in the trains and nothing else about Japan. Which isn't true at all, but I really didn't want to continue the conversation any further. 

On 12/28/2020 at 5:34 PM, Kiha66 said:

In reference to the wehraboo, he uses it to mean someone who has a unhealthy obsession with nazi germany as well as nazi icons and vehicles.

Ah - I've known a few like that over the years. Great name for them!

Thanks for the explanation,

Mark.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2