What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

A KiHa40-100 from Tramway. It's currently having a spin on the rolling road. It's very smooth and quiet. Also another Tramway ED71.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 4

That kiha 40 looks very nice, glad hobby search is sold out or I might get some dangerous thoughts about acquiring more kihas myself.  Do you plan to DCC them or leave them as DC?

• Like 1

Another 3 Zenmarket purchases arrived last night, I really must stop buying trains and buy a bedboard and start actually building something....

IMG_20201022_101430280_copy_780x1040.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

They’re nice little wagons but need a bit of beating up to take away the plastic look. I wish there were more loads readily available for this kind of wagon. A lot of the later photos of these seem to be carrying wheel sets. Bona Fide are doing some loads for the upcoming T-Evolution stock that look nice, although I think white metal so not sure how good the actual parts will be. The sample images look promising. I did also consider just spraying some spare wheels a rusty colour and making some blocks out of 3mm Tamiya construction beams.
https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=RAIL-28172

My parents kindly sent me an HO cold area DD51 from Kato for my birthday which they found in a model shop. It’s an older, used version and I feel they probably paid slightly over the odds for it in the UK. Still nice of them and now I have 2 to run a Hokkaido style double header. 

This older version is from about 2000 so lacks the “DCC ready“ 8 pin socket and has more yellow coloured headlights. Not sure if this was LED at this point or a filament bulb. Runs silky smooth though.

• Like 1

I have that model as well, I think  it was my first HO Kato train.  I DCC'd it a few years back, iirc they came with filament bulbs as I ended up replacing them with LEDs when I did the conversion.  If desktop station ever makes a DD51 sound file I'll probably replace the whole thing with a sound decoder upgrade the lights yet again.

I have a head start on a load. Four axles worth of dummy plastic wheels from the Tenshodo KuMoYa 145. These even have stub axles rather than pinpoints. I'll make some cradles for them using matchsticks and paint the wheelsets to suit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/23/2020 at 9:33 PM, Welshbloke said:

I have a head start on a load. Four axles worth of dummy plastic wheels from the Tenshodo KuMoYa 145. These even have stub axles rather than pinpoints. I'll make some cradles for them using matchsticks and paint the wheelsets to suit.

Good idea.

I had some wheel sets from Tramway TOKI25000 set with load. But they were so ugly. I dicarded them. Just the poor cradles are still there.

Edited by al camino
typos

Well, I got the lettering on. Not an experience I'd care to repeat, especially all the fiddly bits on the solebars which would be far better as waterslide rather than rub on:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGzmTF5Bjn7/?igshid=ibckqzfppwkf

8 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

Well, I got the lettering on. Not an experience I'd care to repeat, especially all the fiddly bits on the solebars which would be far better as waterslide rather than rub on:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGzmTF5Bjn7/?igshid=ibckqzfppwkf

And the KATO rub on lettering is quite good quality. The Tenshodo and Tramway rips by the weakest torsion while rubbing on. These letters also cannot really decide where to stick better - model or transfer paper. Most often both and ripped 😞

Edited by al camino
  • Sad 1

Yep, the Kato numbers are great when access is good. Unfortunately it isn't for the ones on the underframe!

I use the flat tweezers from a Swiss army knife to position them, then the toothpick or a cocktail stick to rub them down. 

Yet to get around to building some wheel cradles to load them. The matchsticks I was going to use are a bit chunky and aren't splitting cleanly, will try using a razor saw next time. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
11 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

Yep, the Kato numbers are great when access is good. Unfortunately it isn't for the ones on the underframe!

They are a bit of a job on the under frame. They need to be trimmed very closer to the transfer to fit without issue. Thankfully the Kato ones are robust and adhere quite well. 

I also paint the shunters step white and add a little white paint to what I assume is a foot brake. The pictures I’ve seen always have it painted. The Toras have one on one side whereas the Wamus seem to have one on each side.

• Like 1

Yep, next on the list.

I'm surprised how British they are underneath. I've been building kits for assorted GWR and BR wagons in OO with very similar brake gear, although they usually have a lever on both sides.

16 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

I use the flat tweezers from a Swiss army knife to position them, then the toothpick or a cocktail stick to rub them down. 

Yet to get around to building some wheel cradles to load them. The matchsticks I was going to use are a bit chunky and aren't splitting cleanly, will try using a razor saw next time. 

All my car still lack the frame lettering. To me the missing lettering is less disturbing than the broken and misaligned letters. Before I don't have solved how to letter these spots I keep the frames blank.

On 10/22/2020 at 7:21 AM, Kiha66 said:

That kiha 40 looks very nice, glad hobby search is sold out or I might get some dangerous thoughts about acquiring more kihas myself.  Do you plan to DCC them or leave them as DC?

I'm intending to put decoders in them. I haven't decided which is the best option for them yet.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

I bought two of these simple structure kits made by TGW, thinking they'd be good enough for background buildings or kitbashing fodder. But when they arrived I saw that they're very neat and nicely finished mouldings. So with some additional details they'll be good foreground models I think.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3
On 11/2/2020 at 10:25 PM, Welshbloke said:

Well, I got the lettering on. Not an experience I'd care to repeat, especially all the fiddly bits on the solebars which would be far better as waterslide rather than rub on.

I have a method for applying these numbers which I find works well. I'll take some photos and write up a description.

All the best,

Mark.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, marknewton said:

I bought two of these simple structure kits made by TGW, thinking they'd be good enough for background buildings or kitbashing fodder. But when they arrived I saw that they're very neat and nicely finished mouldings. So with some additional details they'll be good foreground models I think.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

Where did you find those and how expensive are they? I didn't know there were HO building kits available.

A new shipment from 1999 just arrived at the customes in Frankfurt.

A few days and then I'll have to pay tax again 😞

The version of KUMORU has been postmoned to unknown date in future.

So I decided to go for a KUMOYA instead to make me happy now with the core less trucks and running parts.

But now I need to order another core less truck which was sold out immediately after reserved items had arrived.

Edited by al camino
don't ask - typos and unfinished sentences
12 minutes ago, al camino said:

A new shipment from 1999 just arrived at the customes in Frankfurt.

How did you ship? My EMS parcel from RG-R is at Osaka Airport for 11 days now

10 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

How did you ship? My EMS parcel from RG-R is at Osaka Airport for 11 days now

EMS in a similar schedule as with the most recent shipments.

But I had also a shipment with more than 2 weeks between Tokyo and Frankfurt as well as the customs once took 10 days.

11/05/2020 09:53 Posting/Collection ASAKUSA

11/05/2020 13:14 Arrival at outward office of exchange TOKYO INT

11/05/2020 19:20 Dispatch from outward office of exchange TOKYO INT

11/10/2020 01:14 Arrival at inward office of exchange FRANKFURT GERMANY

11/10/2020 01:15 Item presented to import Customs FRANKFURT

Edited by al camino
amneded details

Nice, now I‘m even more confused:

Posting/Collection

Oct 29 16:22
Handling office
NADA (HYOGO)