What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

3 hours ago, Kamome said:

They also have the 20 series 4 car set although from quite an old run.

Is there anything to be on the lookout for from these cars?  I know the older run of kiha58s had yellowed plastic in some cases.  I really want a 20 series set but I'm hoping kato will rerelease them soon like they did the 35 series. 

5 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Is there anything to be on the lookout for from these cars?  I know the older run of kiha58s had yellowed plastic in some cases.  I really want a 20 series set but I'm hoping kato will rerelease them soon like they did the 35 series. 

I think it’s a likelihood. I’m not aware of any design or manufacturing issues and what I’ve seen looks very nicely modelled. The last few runs of  Kato HO has sold through relatively quickly  and they’ve done runs of 12系 and 25系 recently. Hopefully we’ll see some 14系 and some 20系 announced next year.

Not sure if the recent Tramway 20 series will reduce the demand at the moment. 

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Kamome said:

They’re nice models and run well. A good find. They also have the 20 series 4 car set although from quite an old run.

Yeah I might have gotten more, but the sets I bought came to £300, then I bought a HOKUTOSEI DX n gauge set for another £100 and this morning I pre-ordered Densha De go and Rosen tabi on PS4 so I'm flat broke now lol 

1 hour ago, TimWay4 said:

Yeah I might have gotten more, but the sets I bought came to £300, then I bought a HOKUTOSEI DX n gauge set for another £100 and this morning I pre-ordered Densha De go and Rosen tabi on PS4 so I'm flat broke now lol 

Some of their prices with the Yen to Sterling exchange rate are very reasonable. I might pick up a few bits myself. They have a lot of Tomix HO which can be hard to find in Japan. I assume they bought an estate of stuff. 

I’m considering trying to get a Switch as Densha de Go has been announced. You can’t find any new or used in Japan at the moment.

6 hours ago, Kamome said:

Some of their prices with the Yen to Sterling exchange rate are very reasonable. I might pick up a few bits myself. They have a lot of Tomix HO which can be hard to find in Japan. I assume they bought an estate of stuff. 

I’m considering trying to get a Switch as Densha de Go has been announced. You can’t find any new or used in Japan at the moment.

Yeah some of the prices are really good, I get paid again soon and could be tempted to get more if they still have stuff. I know they buy collections so that would be a good assumption 🙂 

Oh really? has switch availability been an issue for a while then? 

6 hours ago, TimWay4 said:

Oh really? has switch availability been an issue for a while then? 

I think everything was bought up to ride out the initial Covid outbreak. I also assume manufacturing has slowed  so there’s now a shortage and high demand.

I love my Switch. I was going to get the WiiU for Mariokart 8, but it was replaced before I could afford it. Got the second run of Switch as soon as they came back in stock after the initial bum rush.

Yes, I am guilty of buying a whole console for a singular game. Yes, it is because I was so burnt out of Mariokart 7 that I was literally chasing world records (that I never caught). Had over 2k hours in that game and needed something new.

The thing is nicely worn in and does a lot of travelling, although it mostly runs Tetris 99 at the moment...

If you can find one, I highly recommend one.

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Switch is great, especially with the Nintendo subscription thing, which gives you access to a LOT of NES and SNES games as well. Some real gems in those days.

15 hours ago, Martijn Meerts said:

Switch is great, especially with the Nintendo subscription thing, which gives you access to a LOT of NES and SNES games as well. Some real gems in those days.

Also Tetris 99. I've been putting some hours into Tetris 99 while at work and I think I've just about got ahold of it.

After spending days travelling around the countryside courtesy of DHL, all of my recent orders have now arrived .

spacer.png

Tomix Suhanefu 30 sleeping car.

spacer.png

Kato Yo5000 brakevans.

spacer.png

Tulips.

And from a local manufacturer, some very nice window and door mouldings.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

Mark,

DHL is just trying to give your new trains a good tour of the country they are moving to before settling down! We know they will never leave your grasp once in your hands so their one time to see the world! 

jeff

• Haha 1

I see others have found the Rails bonanza of sensibly priced HO too. Please don't buy all of it as I'd like an extra Kato Hokutosei coach, a couple of Kato TaKi 1000s and maybe another KoKi or three over the next couple of months...

Did bag a KoKi 250000, for the 20' containers displaced from the KoKi 200 by my 3D print tanktainers:

Also my Hokutosei set finally turned up from Hobbysearch six months later! No photos yet as it's not exactly easy to shoot four coaches, you know what they look like anyway. I've fitted the detail parts on the ends but haven't done the car number stickers yet, also need some more R490 curves to make a complete table-friendly loop for it.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

I see others have found the Rails bonanza of sensibly priced HO too

There’s a few bits I’m interested in but not what you’ve listed. There’s one coach I’m interested in so I hope that doesn’t go before my next payday.

15 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

Also my Hokutosei set finally turned up from Hobbysearch six months later! No photos yet as it's not exactly easy to shoot four coaches,

Glad to hear it finally showed up. I know what you mean about trying to photograph. I measured my 12 car Tsurugi with EF81 and it’s approx 3.3 metres long. I’ll try and get a shot of it when I go to the HO rental layout.

@marknewton do you have much information on where these 32 series trains ran and what pulled them? I’ve seen a few images of EF70s hauling these sleepers between Tokyo and Kanazawa. We’re they widely used across all of Japan?

I have the slight complication of wanting to bag another of the Pirata N coaches they've got listed (expensive but cheaper than buying new from Italy) so it'll either be a TaKi or a couple of packs of containers with that next month. I have three 12' container slots left and could probably find space for one more KoKi, at which point it'd split into two trains.

The Hokutosei I currently have is already over 130cm long, and that's just the EF510, basic pack and the ORoHaNe 25 500... I definitely want the lobby car and one of the OHaNes with the split level berths to give a representative sample (without buying all twelve and having nowhere to run it!)

On 9/26/2020 at 11:38 AM, marknewton said:

After spending days travelling around the countryside courtesy of DHL, all of my recent orders have now arrived .

spacer.png

Kato Yo5000 brakevans.

Cheers,

Mark.

Where did you find the Yo5000s? I'd love to have a pair to go with my Yo8000.

If anyone is wondering why I've been selling so many older N scale models from my collection recently, the answer showed up today.

photo5163858391825754589.thumb.jpg.b014dbf722b56624bf310798b3dd3870.jpg

The detail is amazing, now I just need to get some HO freight cars and maybe a few more passenger coaches too...

• Like 13
2 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

If anyone is wondering why I've been selling so many older N scale models from my collection recently, the answer showed up today.

photo5163858391825754589.thumb.jpg.b014dbf722b56624bf310798b3dd3870.jpg

The detail is amazing, now I just need to get some HO freight cars and maybe a few more passenger coaches too...

For those of us ignorant in the ways of steam, can you enlighten us on the details?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, chadbag said:

For those of us ignorant in the ways of steam, can you enlighten us on the details?

No worries!  I've gotten a Tenshoto HO scale JNR 9600 class steam locomotive.  These locomotives were first built in 1912 for JGR and some private mining railways.  They ended their careers 60 years later in the 70s being some of the last steam locomotives to be retired.  As built they had buffers and chain couplings, the version I got is a heavily modernized one, with air brakes and turbine generators for use on both freight and passenger trains.  The version here was used in Kyushu, it has an open cab for the warmer climate, and smaller details like a reference board near the stack for the fireman to judge the smoke color.  He could then adjust the fire till the smoke indicated it was burning efficiently.   The nickname for this class was "Kyuroku", which means 9-6 in japanese.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ahhh!! I’m so tempted to get one of these now. I particularly like the Kyushu type with the smaller smoke deflectors and with the wave motif. 

They have a very nice static one at Kyushu Railway shop. Sadly, getting the thing steam worthy again is way too expensive. It seems as soon as you stop using them, they deteriorate very quickly.

The owners father was actually driving the last 9600 passenger run in Kyushu and this is the locomotive. 

57DD07EA-59D0-4C75-B4DE-A022BB949C1D.jpeg

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 7

I'd say go for it!  Its one of the nicest models I've ever gotten, the detail is amazing and it runs like a swiss watch.  They even have working tail lights, and plenty of space for DCC and sound which I plan to add when money allows.  

That preserved 9600 looks amazing, I definitely want to visit when I visit japan again.  

On 9/27/2020 at 8:09 PM, GDorsett said:

Where did you find the Yo5000s? I'd love to have a pair to go with my Yo8000.

Kato just announced a re-production in February.

• Like 1
On 10/1/2020 at 5:06 PM, Kiha66 said:

I'd say go for it!  Its one of the nicest models I've ever gotten, the detail is amazing and it runs like a swiss watch.  They even have working tail lights, and plenty of space for DCC and sound which I plan to add when money allows.  

That preserved 9600 looks amazing, I definitely want to visit when I visit japan again.  

First, dare I ask how much those run?

Second, do you know where to find Sound decoders for Japanese locos? I haven't been able to find files anywhere.

Just now, GDorsett said:

First, dare I ask how much those run?

I paid about $300 for it plus shipping, which I was on the fence about but seeing it in person, I feel its a great price for all the detail and build quality.

Just now, GDorsett said:

Second, do you know where to find Sound decoders for Japanese locos? I haven't been able to find files anywhere.

Luckily someone recently released a whole load of ESU sound files for free which cover most japanese rolling stock.  While you'll need someone with an ESU lokprogrammer to put the files onto the decoder, the fact that they're free and that if you have any issues you can wipe the decoder and re install the files makes me a lot more willing to work with them.  I know some shops will also install files for free when you purchase a decoder from them, although you may have to email them the file and arrange it ahead of time.  I'm currently bumming off a friends programmer, but hopefully I'll get my own soon enough and can start equipping my locomotives and trains.

https://desktopstation.net/sounds/index.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2