What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

Just ordered this:

10121679a.jpg

source:http://www.1999.co.jp/10121679

It's a suro 43 second class (in the old class system) coach, with swingover (perhaps) seating.  Fitted with electric train heating capability, they were used in express and semi-express services in the early to mid sixties, especially on the Tohoku main line.  I had my eye on this coach for a while, but a check today saw most outlets sold out of this type, but I managed to snag one.  The maker, A class, is a small firm, so who knows if they will have a re-run.  Plus most fans even here in Japan likely don't even know this type exists (it's a member of the JNR suha 32 class family).  Anyway, green car type coaches are uncommon in plastic, so I figure it's a good get.

• Like 4

Very nice! I have an A class Mani 36 brakevan, which is a lovely model. I think you'll be every pleased with your Suro 43, BB.

All the best,

Mark.

My Tomix 153 series EMU turned up today, it looks superb. I'm booked off today, so I'm off to the club tonight to give it a run, along with my new Kato C56. And I'll take my camera, as well!  :laugh:

Cheers,

Mark.

HO Tenshodo Toshiba Steeplecab. Unsure which version (see other post for full story). I still have to figure out what I'm going to do with it...guess I'll have to get a string of WaMu 80000s for it to pull...

The reality is that I have developed a reputation as a "xiite" as far as scale is concerned (I keep blasting Frateschi for its insistence on making "not-quite-HO-scale" stuff) and I find #16 gauge (as the Japanese refer to it) rather hard to swallow as it means backtracking on my personal convictions (I don't have such qualms with Japanese N scale though). However #12 gauge (1:87 scale, 12mm gauge) is prohibitively expensive (and physically inaccessible) so there is a question mark hanging in the air. So far I've been leaning towards N scale...how do you other HOers handle the psychology of such a discrepancy (if you bother with it at all, that is...)?

Cheers NB

• Like 1

Ok we all know 1/80 is far more expensive than N but there may be one or two locos a year in 1/80 and the freight cars have reduced in price drastically, so i probably spend as much as I would doing N on my 1/80. I amit finescale is very expensive.

I'm not sure what you mean by discrepancy, but I grew up playing with N scale trains, but the size and tradeoffs in realism (perhaps proportion would be more accurate) turned me off as an adult.  But the main reason I prefer HO scale is the prototype I'm interested in- JNR in the sixties.  This era in general is well represented in HO, and it allows shorter yet interesting trains (mixed freight mainly).  Also, I like steam and loco-hauled stock.  Modern era I have little interest in as a model- I just go outside to see the real thing. I suppose if I was into EMUs and modern era/shinkansen, N scale would be the ticket.  I accept the 16mm gauge compromise, IMO the size of the rail rather than its width compromises realism more.  Finally, I'm a bit of a hobby hoarder- the temptation to buy as many pieces of rolling stock as possible would hit me in N scale- the fewer offerings and higher prices of HO impose some discipline on me.

By discrepancy I mean scale/gauge discrepancy, 1:80/16.5mm versus the correct (but, ouch, expensive) 1:87/12mm. Locally I'm a known supporter for correct scale/gauge relations so I find #16 gauge hard to swallow.

Edit: the loco is none of the versions I thought - it's the Keisei blue loco.

Cheers NB

catcliffedemon

Yeah, that 3.125mm difference between 1:87 HO track and the scale 1:80 13.375mm is something I would find hard to live with. I'm a 'P4' modeller when it comes to my British outline model railways, so building track doesn't faze me, but I'm wondering whether the Kato, Tomix, Micro-Ace and other manufacturer's equipment is suitable for operation on correctly scaled track without major surgery. I'm used to pulling wheels out a couple of millimetres, not pushing them in!

I'm quite impressed with availability of HO JR models nowadays. When I frst looked a few years ago there was hardly anything. I think the only thing missing that I would really like is a KiHa 40.

I think the only thing missing that I would really like is a KiHa 40.

MicroAce released an HO kiha40 a few years ago (OOP now):

http://www.microace-arii.co.jp/release/product_HO/kiha40.htm

As for the gauge issue, each person has his preferences/standards, as it should be.  I look at it this way, N scale has the smallness that allows elaborate operations and large quantities of rolling stock, with a sacrifice in close-up detail and what can be called "presence".  It seems alot of layouts in N are built to be seen from a higher viewing angle, in keeping with its operational emphasis.  OTOH, HO allows each individual piece of rolling stock to be savored (freight cars are especially nice in this respect), but it's size prevents massive operations.  This lends itself to being more of an eye-level scale, rather than an birds eye view scale.  And from eye level (from the side that is), you can't tell whether the gauge is off or not.  I just choose to ignore the discrepancy, much like the lack of a real horizon on a layout.

catcliffedemon

Thanks for that, I'll have to see if I can find one secondhand. I've got a real thing for these single-car DMUs.

I totally agree on the gauge issue. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some Japanese HO and seeing what is possible.

I think the only thing missing that I would really like is a KiHa 40.

This lends itself to being more of an eye-level scale, rather than an birds eye view scale.  And from eye level (from the side that is), you can't tell whether the gauge is off or not.  I just choose to ignore the discrepancy, much like the lack of a real horizon on a layout.

Hmm, satisfactory compromise!

My steeplecab has been posted by my friend in Rio, should be docking tomorrow or the day after. Now for a few wamuhachis and a "Yo" to go along with it...

Cheers NB

• Like 1
how do you other HOers handle the psychology of such a discrepancy (if you bother with it at all, that is...)?

Easy. I don't give it much thought!  :cheesy

Joking aside I agree with BikkuriBahn's comments regarding HO vs N scale. If I was starting out modelling now, and wanted to model a big chunk of railway, I'd definitely be working in N scale. But HO is what I'm used to, and I prefer to model a small portion of a railway in detail, and focus on the operations of a single location. As BB says, HO lends itself well to that style of modelling. I don't personally regard Japanese HO as expensive, but then again I don't plan on having a huge fleet either.

Cheers,

Mark.

Something like this, eh Nick?  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

You got it! :grin However I would stick to the Aclass WaMus as I'm more inclined towards modelling the 1960's - Kato's are models of the last batch built (28xxxxx) from the mid 1970's.

My loco has arrived - suuuuuuugoooooooooiiiiiiii neeeeeeee!!!!!!

For me HO or N doesn't matter, I bought this loco on a whim (I still don't know what I'm going to do with it!) most likely because I was looking for something different to purchase. I live in an apartment, so N scale would make more sense, I already have some Japanese N scale (Tomytec and M-A) which makes things easier. I don't want a big chunk of railway either (managing a small chunk is already tough enough!), as far as Japanese modelling is concerned I'm focusing more on rural private railways. And I've imposed myself a 4-car limit on MU set size (or at least nothing much larger than the Nagaden ex-Odajyu Romance Car).

Cheers NB

• Like 1
You got it! :grin However I would stick to the Aclass WaMus as I'm more inclined towards modelling the 1960's - Kato's are models of the last batch built (28xxxxx) from the mid 1970's.

Thanks Nick, I didn't know that. I have a couple of the Aclass Wamus now, they're very nice models.

Cheers,

Mark.

I think these will look good at the head end of a two or three coach oha consist pulled by a C58 or (in my dream) a C55, a la Soya Main Line circa early 1970's.

I'm sure they will look nice, bb. As for dreaming about a C55, why not? What's that song from "South Pacific"?  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

Nick_Burman

Thanks Nick, I didn't know that. I have a couple of the Aclass Wamus now, they're very nice models.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark, Aclass has almost all build versions of the wamuhachis including the sheet glass carrier (but excluding the cars converted into reefers).

Cheers NB

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn
As for dreaming about a C55...

I found out, after looking at an old copy of RM Models, that Tenshodo did release the C55/C57 in their plastic 16.5mm range back in 2005 or 2006.  Unfortunately I wasn't into Japanese HO back then.  Hopefully they will do a rerun, as well as a rerun of the kiha 20 series

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Reserved a motorised and trailer version of the kiha 52 railcar (MicroAce).  Seems the trailer version is sold out already (not taking reservations) at many internet retailers.  While at Mach Mokei in Osaka a couple of weeks ago, overheard the proprietor say release has been delayed by the recent earthquake/tsunami.

http://www.1999.co.jp/image/10122068b2/30/2

bikkuri bahn

Recent pickup at a bricks and mortar store (can't find on any on sale on the net anymore), a "Kairyu" brand (aka Bachmann China) Ohafu 61, this being the rolling stock converted from wood bodied coaches post-war, and used mainly on secondary main Lines:

215jkp0120[1].jpg

source: http://tetumo.com/SyosaiShow/100/0400041411801

It seems the brake versions (the "fu" in ohafu) of older loco-hauled coaches sell out quickly- I suppose they produce fewer quantities, reflecting the prototype numbers. The one I got was the Hirosaki version, the last one at the store (in fact it was the display model).

• Like 1