What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

Yes, they’re not the only peaky blinders for pricing. Just a bit annoyed if something is marked as New, I would translate that as unused. 

Anyway Hattons sent me a mail shot about their Used (at least they state used) “sale” The term sale is used very loosely as I was shocked at some of the prices of some pretty sorry looking models. 

Not verbatim but listings such as

Non runner and missing some wheels, buffers, tenders in some cases. 

Painted poorly by previous owner into a obscure imaginary paint scheme.

Good box so therefore not asking £5 for this piece of junk but we’re instead asking only £65 in our “sale”

I also chuckled at the common use of the term “sold as seen” which for a website order seems rather redundant. 

Edited by Kamome
  • Sad 1

picked this up in a local thrift store still in mint condition

it's very heavy it has interior lights as well

338744896_773022630772672_8260782984683714259_n.thumb.jpg.4bcba93f6f309f6b1b62d861e1c9e1ba.jpg

• Like 2
On 4/7/2023 at 1:54 PM, Kamome said:

Anyway Hattons sent me a mail shot about their Used (at least they state used) “sale” The term sale is used very loosely as I was shocked at some of the prices of some pretty sorry looking models. 

It's a growing problem in recent years that the price of second hand has gone up significantly, to the point that it can now sometimes cost more than new. Online selling has encouraged dealers to price things as high as they can get away with because they only need one person in the world to be silly enough to buy it, rather than 'price to move' at rates the average model shop or exhibition stall visitor will willingly pay. As a result, second hand stalls are disappearing from exhibitions, with the exception of those run by clubs and societies whose prices remain low as their objective is to act as a disposal service to their members and subsidise the club a bit, not to make a living or a profit.

• Sad 1

There seems to be a growing problem with sellers asking stupid money for junk items.

Don't get me wrong, buying broken stuff and fixing it is fun (making one good loco from two and having useful spares left over towards another, for example). But I'm not buying it unless it's a substantial discount compared to a perfect one. Even less likely to buy if I know the parts it'll need simply aren't available.

Case in point, just had an ebay counter offer asking more for a loco minus cab roof, chimney, and with obvious axle damage than the starting bid on a tidy complete one. Keep your scrap then...

Small order from Hobbysearch to get resources for finishing/storing existing projects:

Iori Koubou torpedo ventilators. Skeptical about these as they appear to be 3D printed which can mean brittleness issues, but the preferred Pairhands whitemetal product has been out of stock a year now.

JTT generic deciduous trees pair. Unlike many brands marked as suitable for HO, these are actually large enough to be realistic.

Casco HO-Narrow 5-car urethane insert and the corresponding case. Given the enormous variety of shapes and sizes in narrow gauge stock it's bold of them to even try creating such a product so I am curious to see how useful it actually is.

Not sure if the Tomix HO Kumu 1000 models were an economic success as everywhere has them at a reduced price currently. I’ve bought 2 packs of HO-9081 1000-1001 sets and so far just one Seino truck (HO-3251)  load to test. It’s a slightly older looking truck, but certainly a nice model with rubber tyres. 

I have no intention of creating a full train of these but adding these to the front of an early 90s container train to create some interest. 

The Kurume transport truck has a modern livery on an older truck from what I can tell. Fukuyama transport adopted Piggyback trucks as there are a wealth of images but cannot find anything relating to Kurume transport. The Kurume Transport Isuzu truck seems a more common truck from images so if these become cheaper I may purchase a number with the intention of repainting them in Fukuyama or Tonami liveries. 

The trucks are nice models although the cab could do with some more detailing. There’s a large cab window to look into with very little to see. Seems the truck directly behind the locomotive had a tarp fitted over the windscreen presumably to stop the muck from the pantograph. 

Update

After about 6 months of searching I have finally found an image of a Kurume Transport piggyback truck. While I stated that this Tomix model seemed to carry the current modern livery, according to the photo, this was the correct livery for the time. The photo from Heisei 2 (1990) shows a single truck in amongst a group of Nittsu liveried orange and silver ones.  I hope Tomix see fit to produce some alternative trucks in the near future. 

IMG_1017.jpeg

IMG_1018.jpeg

IMG_1019.jpeg

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 4
Welshbloke

Just in case anyone hasn't noticed, Rails are having a 40% off sale on selected ebay items (ends on the 22nd). Mostly the remainder of that big Japanese HO collection they had in about three years ago. So I now have an Aclass 205 Series kit (will make a four car set, not sure what else I'll need to build it as at least the ballast weights and wheels are present) and one of their EF64-0s in JNR blue inbound...

• Like 1
marknewton
4 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

...and one of their EF64-0s in JNR blue inbound...

The Aclass EF64s are very nice models - well detailed and good runners. I think you'll be pleased with it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 4
Welshbloke

Yep, I hadn't seen the name before but yours didn't appear to have given any hassle, so decided to go for it. Might have been tempted by a Tramway KiHa 23 but apparently the motor is rather visible in their KiHas and there's no interior, which didn't appeal.

Martijn Meerts

I came across a couple of handmade semaphore signals on Yahoo Japan Auction. Since these were 1/87 and since I've never seen them before in H0, and since I will at some point need a few, I decided to bid on them, and then use them as examples to eventually 3D print my own. 

The detail on these is really good, the lights are functional, and the arm moves as well.

PXL_20230530_184217735.jpg

• Like 5
Welshbloke

Ordered a Kato 3-114 crossover set and another feed rail. Means I can use the R370 curves I have gathering dust inside my R490 tabletop oval and, if I've read the chart correctly, have space to fit a siding or two between them.

I have acquired a lovely Tenshodo C58 and some Kato Oha 35 coaches. These are my first Japanese 1/80 models........but not the last!

Edited by wazzd
spelling

Well my Yume Kukan coaches arrived this afternoon. 

First look and they seem promising but I’m not bowled over.

Kato have certainly done a good job of reproducing these coaches, although it is still Kato quality which is good, but never includes the level of detail and refinement you’d get from some other manufacturers. The liveries are well executed. The green of the dining car looks a little less rich to me than images i’ve seen of the real thing but the livery and details of the red lounge car look most impressive.  There’s a definite weight to the lounge car which I assume is from the number of interior elements making up the ceiling decoration amongst other details. Most of which can’t really be seen through the comparatively small windows. The sleeper is the least impressive of the 3, with a livery that isn’t the most interesting and no inclusion of any lighting features as in the lounge and dining cars. All 3 have had their coaching numbers tampo printed with their relevant font. Accessories included are a number of train names for the tail light end of the dining car as well as the familiar door tensioner parts for Kato 24 series coaches.  Some details have been pre fitted such as the cell phone antenna. There are no spare wiper parts for the dining car so if you break or lose one, you’ll be contacting Kato for the asst part. Also in the box are 4 options of headmarks for your loco of choice although these are not like newer EF81 or EF510 printed onto metal as their n scale ones are.  These are based around the ones you get with the EF65 1000, printed on plastic with a metal disc to be attached to the rear to make them secure with the loco headmark magnet. There are no destination or service stickers for any additional coaches and it is only on the HCK web page that suggests ordering spares for the printed ones used on the Orone sleeper. 

I will certainly post further information once I have fitted the detail parts. The biggest issue of this release from Kato is the lack of suitable coaches to run a prototypical train. Kato give 3 ideas using existing Kato stock such as 14 series coaches or their Hokutosei set. Their Yume Kukan designated webpage expresses that all missing coaches for correct formation are currently in planning. 

I’m slightly on the fence with the price point. I preordered them and the final price was just under ¥35,000 which is not terrible but neither gives a sense of value. SRP/RRP is ¥49,500 to my knowledge which seems way too overpriced for what I can see in the box. There are certainly numerous parts which have been easily taken or modified from existing 24 series models. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nicely produced product, but for what is essentially some slightly more decorated 24 series coaches, this seems a lot of money for what’s here. Kato haven’t even sweetened the offering with any special packaging, just the generic green cardboard box and polystyrene inserts. There is a small leaflet, similar to the one included in the N scale SL Hitoyoshi, just giving a possible track plan. 

Just for price comparison, my other Kato HO sets along with price I paid through Ami Ami at time of their release. (although I appreciate prices have gone up most recently along with the Yume Kukan being a newly tooled set)

JNR 20 series blue train, 4 coach set, 3 coaches with tail lights, no interior lighting.

¥19780

JNR 24 series blue train, 4 car set, 2 coaches with tail lights, no interior lighting.

¥21390

JNR Kiha 82 4 car set with 2 cab cars with head and tail lights, 1 motor unit, no interior lighting

¥25,479

Yume Kukan 3 car set, 1 coach with tail lights, 2 with lit table lamps. no interior lighting

¥34,650

There certainly seems a premium added due to their uniqueness and lack of alternatives. The only other manufacturer to release an HO version of these coaches is in brass from KTM (Katsumi) priced at ¥330,000 for the 3 coaches. 

IMG_1193.jpeg

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 2
Welshbloke

Part of me wonders if they'd have done better to offer the three separately. At least you could spread the cost that way.

I would like a set, but the price is too high for me to justify for three coaches. I do have one of the Super Express Rainbow EF81s on the way though (already had the matching EF65 so it was not a long deliberation!) Planning to order the detailing pack later.

4 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

I do have one of the Super Express Rainbow EF81s on the way though

The EF81 models are really good, heavy, smooth runners. I’d recommend the grade up parts if you’ve not yet ordered. I have the JNR rose coloured one but am considering the rainbow to pull these coaches. Be nice if Kato reproduce the matching EF65 as it’s not been around for some years. 

Edited by Kamome
Welshbloke

I was lucky enough to find an as-new one a couple of years ago.

Planning to order the upgrade parts when Hobbysearch get the Tenshodo 26P power bogies back into stock, for efficient use of the shipping charge. The loco alone just squeaked under the limit at which import taxes and ransom charges are applied for the buyer here, hence splitting the orders!

• Like 1

Yeah, I can't blame you. I think it's criminal that Parcel Force can still get away with "paying your import duty fees" without any consultation with the recipient, then charge you an admin fee for the trouble. I got caught out a few times like this but tended to just purchase larger stuff from Train Trax as the ransom fee, duty and postage brought it up to the same cost in the days when Keith Blanchard ran things. Not sure how it compares these days against the wealth of known retailers.  My knowledge was limited to places like Plaza Japan at the time, although I would sometimes stockpile purchases from Tam Tam at my in-laws until my wife or the 2 of us would visit.  These day living in Japan, I'm sure I end up spending more money, just have more trains to show for it. 

Well if space, you could always throw in the 660,000 yen Super Express Rainbow set from Endo.

http://www.mr-endo.com/item/item-1948/

Welshbloke

Do any of the Tomix Hokutosei coaches suit the Yume Kukan better? They modelled a different set (I know two JR divisions provided stock for the service, hence the different formations and coach types). No idea whether Tomix and Kato close couplers will play nicely together though? My one complaint with the Aclass 205 is that the included Shibatas won't couple to the Tomix ones on my Tenshodo KuMoYa, so I can't tow the KuHa 204/205 with it while waiting for motor bogies to become available again.

On 6/8/2023 at 5:04 PM, Welshbloke said:

Do any of the Tomix Hokutosei coaches suit the Yume Kukan better?

Not really from the info I have.  The Kato set comes with the Orohane 24 500 as well as a Kani 24 500 and Ohanefu 25 0 whereas as the Sushi 24 dining car is obsolete. The Tomix base set comes with a Oha 24 Lobby car which would be obsolete along with the Sushi 24. The extension has a few coaches but then you're missing the generator etc..

From Kato's designated Yume Kukan website, the JR Hokutosei specification of the Mani 24 500, Ohane 25 0 and Ohanefu 25 200 are not currently available but are in "intense" planning. Kato have produced JNR era versions of the latter 2 models but I'm not sure how they differ other than snow specification which may not be obvious on a model. I always thought Kato should have just included some JR transfers in their 24 series coaches as Tomix do with some of the lines.  The Mani has not been produced by Kato before.  These formations still rely on one of both of the Orohane 24 550 and Ohanefu 25 0 from the Base 3-515 set which is mildly irritating. Be good if Kato made these as a separate coach but perhaps the getting the relevant Assy parts to make them up may be the only way to have them separately. In some examples you'd still need an Orone 25 500 (1-569) or Orohane 25 500 (1-570) Or the idea is you get the full modern Hokutosei formation and pick and up the extra coaches too. Great from a business perspective but I kind of prefer Tomix' earlier Hokutosei formation option to the one used in its later years that the Kato one represents.

As for coupling, I don't have any Tomix 24/25s to compare but images would suggest they have a similar style coupler on the intermediate cars in the rake as Kato do. I'm not sure how well the 2 brands couple although I do have a spare that came with my Tomix EF71 for coupling to the Kiha 181 Tsubasa which I can try with these Kato couplers. Likewise, Kato uses the same coupler on their 24s as they use on their Kiha 80s and 28/58/65s. There certainly seems to be a lot more consistency in couplers with HO 1/80 compared with N scale, although I tend to switch out any loco hauled stock to Kadee 58s or 158s anyway. I've done this with all of my Wamus, Takis, Kokis, Yos as well as the tail ends of 12, 20 and 24 series coaches. My Tomix 10 and 50 series coaches, along with Tenshodo 10s all came with Kadee No 5s from the off.

Think they'd be well past the planning stage by now. I find it interesting that they're still listed in the planning phase, why go through all that bother when you've already got a perfectly good tooling? They can't have changed overly much during their service lives.

IMG_7034.thumb.JPG.940209482f23965d64041f5f083fb2d5.JPG

Not sure whether Kato had any stock of these tucked away when I was there. Japanese H0 hasn't managed to grab my attention yet.

Alastair

Edited by ED75-775
Welshbloke

Buying the assy parts is a viable technique. Did that with the "Glacier on Tour" Ge 4/4 III in N as I didn't want the complete train set (which is normally the only way to get that loco).

I was thinking more in terms of the single extra coaches Tomix offer with the gold bands - they do an OHaNeFu 25-0 and 25-200, and an OHaNe 25-0 to bulk out the basic and expansion packs. Someone on ebay UK is offering them for £30-£35 at the moment. If they'll work with Kato close couplers and the blue is a decent match then those plus a bundle of Kato parts may be your best bet.

I wonder if we'll see the Yume Kukan turning up in the next Hobbysearch sale, or whether there are enough determined HO enthusiasts in Japan to clear the production run. The price is steep but...I just saw an advert for a British OO model of a four coach articulated suburban set which is going to be £320-ish, with a similar spec to the Yume Kukan (aside from the lack of table lamps, which non corridor compartment stock generally lacks!)

Edited by Welshbloke

Regarding Yume Kukan (Kato) coupling to Series 24/25 (Tomix):

The coupler heads of Tomix and Kato do not mate.

I had swapped a Tomix coupler to a Kato frame with just cutting the hooks by a small amount and it fit perfectly.

I had done this to join a Kato 14/15 coach to a Tomix 14/15 sleeper as well as to join a Tomix KUMONI 83 to a Kato 165 EMU.

Not to guarantee but I think this should work.

• Thanks 1

Yume Kukan: I got mine on Friday. Perfect timing as the postman collecting the tax met me personally (not my wife 😇).

I implemented the LED lighting that evening and was pleased about the optical performance.

The diner with the large windows (really nice modelled!) forces me to look for passengers eating (are there Ekiben in 1/80 available?) to place them in the empty dining hall.

The ceiling lighting of Ohafu 25 901 is really great. It is a pity that you have to la on the floor to enjoy this nice detail.

Picture: direct link to the related image on Kato's Yume Kukan site

and here a poor quick'n'dirty snapshot of my Ohafu bar section:

grafik.png.f774fb6358128ba48b652ad10d37ad85.png

Low light and handheld camera -> need to try this again with fixed camera.

The christmas lights behind the right window is just the PCB with white LEDs an the color filter to make LED appear warm and smooth.

I reject to order 24/25 sets with 50% of wrong cars which then will be unused or the seed to buy more coaches.

My set probably will run with the 14 coaches but then my EF81 #81 Hokutosei Color would be wrong.

Otherwise I might abuse a KANI 21 and a NAHANEFU 23 of my series 20 sets which are unused due to my train length limis and the MAYA 20 of Max Models that replaced the KANI 21. I must make compromises. And the least awful and impossible compromise should do it.

Edited by al camino
consist thoughts amended
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, al camino said:

Regarding Yume Kukan (Kato) coupling to Series 24/25 (Tomix):

The coupler heads of Tomix and Kato do not mate.

I had swapped a Tomix coupler to a Kato frame with just cutting the hooks by a small amount and it fit perfectly.

I had done this to join a Kato 14/15 coach to a Tomix 14/15 sleeper as well as to join a Tomix KUMONI 83 to a Kato 165 EMU.

Not to guarantee but I think this should work.

I forgot to mention that I had to cut some material of the chassis (floor, body frame) to give room for the Tomix spring moving.

This was only some enlarging of a given opening.

Will send pictures later - now I have to visit my mother in hospital 😞

Hopefully I've got a Kato 2-840 LH point & a 2-503 to motorise it, on the way. For I ordered them through Amazon as I could only find 2-840s on ebay but not the 2-503