What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

2 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

I paid about $300 for it plus shipping, which I was on the fence about but seeing it in person, I feel its a great price for all the detail and build quality.

Luckily someone recently released a whole load of ESU sound files for free which cover most japanese rolling stock.  While you'll need someone with an ESU lokprogrammer to put the files onto the decoder, the fact that they're free and that if you have any issues you can wipe the decoder and re install the files makes me a lot more willing to work with them.  I know some shops will also install files for free when you purchase a decoder from them, although you may have to email them the file and arrange it ahead of time.  I'm currently bumming off a friends programmer, but hopefully I'll get my own soon enough and can start equipping my locomotives and trains.

https://desktopstation.net/sounds/index.html

300 is not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

And thanks for that link! One of the shops I deal with will install sounds files before sending them if asked, so maybe they can do files that I send them as well. Much appreciated!

• Like 1

Good luck!  The models come with 8 pin plugs and plenty of space in the tender for a decoder and speaker.  I'll be sharing photos of my installations when I get around to doing so.

• Like 1
On 9/27/2020 at 10:27 PM, Kamome said:

Do you have much information on where these 32 series trains ran and what pulled them? I’ve seen a few images of EF70s hauling these sleepers between Tokyo and Kanazawa. We’re they widely used across all of Japan?

Apparently they were. There's an article in J-train issue 33 that shows a variety of passenger train consists that include the 32 series cars. A lot seem to be hauled by EF57s and EF58s. 

Cheers,

Mark.

On 10/1/2020 at 12:57 PM, Kiha66 said:

If anyone is wondering why I've been selling so many older N scale models from my collection recently, the answer showed up today.

photo5163858391825754589.thumb.jpg.b014dbf722b56624bf310798b3dd3870.jpg

These are lovely models, I think you'll be very happy with it. I have a pair of them waiting their turn on the workbench to have some remedial work.

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1
On 10/1/2020 at 7:26 PM, Kamome said:

They have a very nice static one at Kyushu Railway shop. Sadly, getting the thing steam worthy again is way too expensive. It seems as soon as you stop using them, they deteriorate very quickly.

To a great extent that depends on the condition they were in when withdrawn, and how they're stored afterwards. Ideally an engine will be indoors, with the boiler fully drained, dried out and limed, smokebox, firebox and ashpan free of any ash residue, likewise the tender drained and dried with no coal residue in the bunker. I'd be safe assuming  that this engine would need major boiler work to put it back into traffic. 

Worth mentioning that this isn't the only model railway shop involved in preserving a 9600:

https://www.imon.co.jp/models/mov1706.mbr/sl9643

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1

That's a funny looking TaKi 1000...

Slight change of plan, on the basis that buying a loco without getting stung with import charges is more of a saving than a couple of tankers. After two or three hours fitting the detail parts it's ready for service.

I realise this was a special livery for the Super Express Rainbow, but I've seen plenty of videos and photos of EF65 1118 hauling containers and unidentified sleeping car trains too. Anyone seen one of it on the Hokutosei? Kato include the usual set of headboards for the Elm, Ginga, Hokutosei and one I don't recognise with a yellow crescent moon.

• Like 2
On 10/1/2020 at 4:57 AM, Kiha66 said:

If anyone is wondering why I've been selling so many older N scale models from my collection recently, the answer showed up today.

photo5163858391825754589.thumb.jpg.b014dbf722b56624bf310798b3dd3870.jpg

It is starting to look like you decided to buy a second and perhaps a third 9600 to make a prototypical train 😁

• Haha 2
21 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

That's a funny looking TaKi 1000...

Slight change of plan, on the basis that buying a loco without getting stung with import charges is more of a saving than a couple of tankers. After two or three hours fitting the detail parts it's ready for service.

I realise this was a special livery for the Super Express Rainbow, but I've seen plenty of videos and photos of EF65 1118 hauling containers and unidentified sleeping car trains too. Anyone seen one of it on the Hokutosei? Kato include the usual set of headboards for the Elm, Ginga, Hokutosei and one I don't recognise with a yellow crescent moon.

There’s some photos of various consists EF65 1118 pulled more recently. 
http://bosoview.sakura.ne.jp/loco/ef65/tabata/ef651118.html

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, disturbman said:

It is starting to look like you decided to buy a second and perhaps a third 9600 to make a prototypical train 😁

Don't tempt me!  I've already spent a lot of the rest ordering HO freight cars, but double heading is quite an interesting idea...

Oops, my finger slipped on the buy button...

20201006_151716_compress73.thumb.jpg.382f8ca3dc55354632e66cdb08bce539.jpg

Lotta add on parts with this locomotive, kinda worried about messing it up trying to add them.  Many require drilling and there are no starter marks on the shell..  Now I just need a 20 series set and maybe some suhas to finish it off!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
shadowtiger25
27 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Oops, my finger slipped on the buy button...

20201006_151716_compress73.thumb.jpg.382f8ca3dc55354632e66cdb08bce539.jpg

Lotta add on parts with this locomotive, kinda worried about messing it up trying to add them.  Many require drilling and there are no starter marks on the shell..  Now I just need a 20 series set and maybe some suhas to finish it off!

Is that a tramway? I have wanted to pick one of their Sl's up, but it always looks like its lacking many parts. So they are user installed?

Aslo, thank you for that link to those sound files! time to fire up the Lokprogramer to replace my C56's sounds with some better suited ones!

1 minute ago, shadowtiger25 said:

Is that a tramway? I have wanted to pick one of their Sl's up, but it always looks like its lacking many parts. So they are user installed?

Aslo, thank you for that link to those sound files! time to fire up the Lokprogramer to replace my C56's sounds with some better suited ones!

Yep, Its my first tramway myself and I had similar feelings.  I was disappointed that it'd be missing the rear headlight, but it turns out all those parts are included, but require some pretty tricky modeling to apply them.  I'll take a photo of the included parts so you can see what they come with.  I'm not sure I'll be installing them at this rate, they look nice but I dont trust my blind drilling into cast metal and not messing up the model.

• Confused 1
shadowtiger25
1 minute ago, Kiha66 said:

Yep, Its my first tramway myself and I had similar feelings.  I was disappointed that it'd be missing the rear headlight, but it turns out all those parts are included, but require some pretty tricky modeling to apply them.  I'll take a photo of the included parts so you can see what they come with.  I'm not sure I'll be installing them at this rate, they look nice but I dont trust my blind drilling into cast metal and not messing up the model.

You could always pratice on other things

I have drilled several Mini's for DND that where metal. Some parts you have to add extra bars to help hold the parts in

Anyway, I never read anything about parts on those. Might look in to getting one now.... to my wallet's dismay

1 minute ago, GDorsett said:

How is Tramway? I've been eying up their semi-streamlined EF58 for some time now.

Its really nice, runs better than tenshoto and looks super easy to add DCC and sound.  I'd like to get their EF58 as well sometime assuming I find the money.

The downside is the shell has no marks or starter points for drilling, so its up to the modeler to make sure the piece will fit and you are in the correct place.

20201006_163606_compress85.thumb.jpg.95cb2561af137741b748809cf11c82f8.jpg

20201006_163537_compress10.thumb.jpg.06a4a7cd9bc8788ad13a738221e66944.jpg

20201006_163613_compress0.thumb.jpg.de5696f1148b5c4c7b6fd5cf14d26a5a.jpg

Edited by Kiha66
  • Thanks 1
shadowtiger25

That does seem like a daunting task... Also, I would want to cover those exposed gears. 2 cats and a husky means I have a lot of hair that could clog those with out a cover

Runs better than tenshodo? I have 3 Quantum equipped die cast (2 C62 and 1 D51)and they run well (other than being super sensitive to electrical disturbances but I attribute that to the decoder and the need to service them more than anything else) and my 2 plastic (C11 and 9600) run well as well, with Lok V.4 and V.5 respectivly no issues with power

Edited by shadowtiger25

My tenshoto (the 9600) runs well but you can slightly hear the gears.  The tramway runs quieter and starts smoother, I suspect it has a bigger flywheel.  I may have the older run of the 9600, so I'm not sure if more modern releases fix that issue.

shadowtiger25

Well, i think a serving can clear that up, and a good decoder can make it start smoother

I have a Lok V5 in it and it does well

however, I dont see a need for me to have a C59, C60, or a C12.. So I may stay away from them for now

Considering I have the Tsubame express on preorder, and I am looking for a good deal on a D51 or D52 Hokkaido style after that. Not to mention the like 6 Lok V5 sound decoders I need (which your drop of that link will save me money on the cusom ones I was planing on getting from the place I have gotten a couple from already), AND stuff for my small home layout.. I think I will hold off for now.

Now If they had a C57.....

• Like 1

No, no, no I will not do HO!

jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 5