What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

Glue 'n Glaze. Dries clear and stays slightly rubbery so a sharp jolt won't make everything fall apart. Use it for all detailing parts and have yet to shed any.

I really like the look of the KiHa 58/28/65 family, but I think my only other possible 1/80 JDM buy this year might be an EF65-2000 (and a KuMoRu when Tenshodo release them). If I can stretch to one in a few months after paying for the new N RhB stock and the 1:80 Hokutosei basic set re-release!

• Like 1
On 1/27/2020 at 8:29 AM, Welshbloke said:

Glue 'n Glaze. Dries clear and stays slightly rubbery so a sharp jolt won't make everything fall apart. Use it for all detailing parts and have yet to shed any.

I really like the look of the KiHa 58/28/65 family, but I think my only other possible 1/80 JDM buy this year might be an EF65-2000 (and a KuMoRu when Tenshodo release them). If I can stretch to one in a few months after paying for the new N RhB stock and the 1:80 Hokutosei basic set re-release!

You won't be dissapointed on the Kato EF65-2000s. My trio runs great so far.

• Like 1

I got a pair of Tomix Ohane17  sleeping cars and a single Ohanefu12 from Yahoo Auctions. As you'd expect from Tomix they're very nice models. One thing I'm wondering about is the white stripe along the bottom of body of the Ohane17s. I haven't seen that before. Anybody got any ideas what it means or signifies?

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

Arriving this morning was a trio of the new Tenshodo "T-Evolution" power trucks. I've only had time to give them a quick run up and down a length of flex track, but my initial impression is that they're rather good. When I've had a chance to examine them further I'll post a more detailed report.

Cheers,

Mark.

spacer.png

• Like 3

My experience so far is that they're very smooth but need careful driving for realism. As there's barely any mass to the motor (and no flywheels) they'll stop rather abruptly if you're not gentle enough with the throttle.

• Like 1
shadowtiger25
On 1/26/2020 at 10:14 PM, marknewton said:

I'm not a fan of using superglue for jobs like this. Apart from having to get the position right on the first attempt, I don't like the white residue or fogging it often causes.

Cheers,

Mark.

you can prevent the fogging by doing the glueing in front of a fan, and leaving the model with the fan blowing on it for 12-24 hours. the fogging is caused by escaping gasses from curing, however, if there is sufficient airflow, it does not cause any staining. 

ever since I learned this I have not had anything fog on me.

Edited by shadowtiger25
  • Like 2

It does work, but you need to keep that air moving in the shell! I’ve just gone to other glues for glazing and no worries then.

jeff

On 2/20/2020 at 4:47 PM, Kiha66 said:

Just got the email from amazon, my HO kiha 81's have shipped!

I've got another one on it's way from HS. Should be here in a couple of days. They're such a strange looking car, but appealing nonetheless.

11 hours ago, shadowtiger25 said:

you can prevent the fogging by doing the glueing in front of a fan

That's useful to know if I ever have to use superglue for that again - thanks!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

Ordered what I hope are suitable Tomix couplers for the Tenshodo KuMoYa. A TN close coupler for the trailing end and a double headed knuckle/Shibata one for the powered one, as Tenshodo say in the instructions that the TN style won't fit with the motor bogie. I have seen a photo of someone managing to fit one but it involved cutting lumps off the bogie and leaving gears exposed, which doesn't appeal.

The double headed one looks to fit a standard Kadee mounting box and centring spring, so while it isn't 100% correct it should fit and work.

I'll report back whether the TN one does fit or whether I should have ordered the other type. I went for the one used on their 113 Series rather than the one intended for the 70 Series, couldn't really see much difference in the photos and Tomix don't include dimensions.

• Like 1
John P Boogerd

I just received an Endo refrigerated car type 10000 which I think was used for fish transport. I love the vintage Endo metal models especially when I find one that’s still new in the box. 

CA298C1B-ECBE-40FE-98D6-1B90A1FCDAE3.jpeg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

Ordered what I hope are suitable Tomix couplers for the Tenshodo KuMoYa. A TN close coupler for the trailing end and a double headed knuckle/Shibata one for the powered one, as Tenshodo say in the instructions that the TN style won't fit with the motor bogie. I have seen a photo of someone managing to fit one but it involved cutting lumps off the bogie and leaving gears exposed, which doesn't appeal.

The double headed one looks to fit a standard Kadee mounting box and centring spring, so while it isn't 100% correct it should fit and work.

I'll report back whether the TN one does fit or whether I should have ordered the other type. I went for the one used on their 113 Series rather than the one intended for the 70 Series, couldn't really see much difference in the photos and Tomix don't include dimensions.

The double headed coupler does fit in a Kadee style draft box. I've had one on my Kato EF510 for a while before ordering more and using them on a set of Stewart Hobbies / Kato EMD F-units. It's very bulky, looks meh, but it works beautifully and has withstood a 90 car train.

Yep, I'll definitely want a pair for the outer ends if/when Tenshodo release the KuMoRu/KuRu set. I've seen at least one unit fitted with them so it'll be accurate. Can't find a JR East KuMoYa so equipped but eh, I can't find a black Shibata coupler to fit the Kadee draft box and being able to shunt knuckle fitted stock with it is useful.

Interesting finds: The KuMoYa with a single motor bogie and three factory ballast weights can shift five Tomix KoKis. Bit of slip if you weren't gentle with the throttle but it would move them! I would not recommend doing this for long periods as the motor is tiny and will probably overheat.

kevsmiththai

Some more A2 models cars. 3 Renault 4CVs to represent Hino ones built under licence, 2 Trojans vans, a Borgward Isabella and a Messerschmidt KR 200 bubble car

large.IMG_2187edit.jpg.2c8a5c39f132dfc953b85419b529cc78.jpg

Kev

• Like 2
kevsmiththai

Funny you should mention that

Three A2 Minis all based on cars I was associated with.

The primer grey one with the black roof started out as a 998cc Mini Cooper. I had a really good summer job that year and was still living at home so it ended up as a 1340CC engined beast with a Jack Knight limited slip diff and one of his straight cut gearboxes, An eight port head fitted with four Amal carburettors giving it 140 BHP at the flywheel. Good going for 1974! Sadly me and the car had an argument with a tree, a post and a wall in the Caldell valley and neither the tree or the car survived. Thankfully I did

The green one with a pink roof had a 1293 Cooper eninge in and 4.1 to 1 diff intended for 12" wheels so it accelarated like stink but topped out at just over75mph.

The yellow one should have a black roof. I'd been to look at it when I saw it up for sale. It was a 1275 Cooper and I went for a test drive but noticed my dad looking funny when we got back. 'Leave it son he said, it's crabbing sideways' Turned out afterwards it was two ends of write offs cut and shut together with the vynil roof hiding the weld seam across the centre!

Caveat Emptor as they say.

large.IMG_2297edit.jpg.4e5bb5c6a504507d3fef4412ee249738.jpg

Kev

• Like 4
13 hours ago, kevsmiththai said:

The primer grey one with the black roof started out as a 998cc Mini Cooper. I had a really good summer job that year and was still living at home so it ended up as a 1340CC engined beast with a Jack Knight limited slip diff and one of his straight cut gearboxes, An eight port head fitted with four Amal carburettors giving it 140 BHP at the flywheel.Kev

Then this one's for you, Kev! 😉

The Tomix couplers arrived for my KuMoYa 145:

I deliberately included a shot of the packaging so anyone else trying to do this can find the part numbers. The KoKi is back as a height gauge for the knuckle part of the double headed coupler. You need to unclip the little plastic moulding which fits under and around the front of the TN coupler mechanism, but it clips into the Tenshodo mounts. I also had to scrape a bit of moulding flash away from the new surround Tenshodo provide for working couplers.

The other end was a bit more complex and really needs a round Kadee draft gear box as supplied with the #30 series, the coupler shaft gets thicker at the head end so standard #5 types will jam it. I did some fiddling around with cutting the coupler box lid shorter and fitting the spring underneath. It doesn't need to self centre perfectly for me as it'll only be used occasionally.

• Thanks 1
shadowtiger25

broke my new years resolution....

pre-ordered the full 11 car Tsubame express 

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10687514

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10687515

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10687516

however since I'm doing that, I told myself I would have to sell something. So soon I'm going to post some stuff for sale, Although I probably picked a bad time to do so with looming economic disaster around the corner.. 

• Like 1

I'm going to put these here because the prototype was built by Japan and I'm going to be running it on a Japanese themed layout.

New toy fresh from Taiwan; a diesel locomotive for the Alishan forest railway!

Built by the tiny Ane Model company, I am impressed with everything I see here. The packaging is extremely nice, lots of soft, dense foam and no plastic.

Details are good all the way around.

Here's some pictures:
Packaging:

0408201655.jpg

0408201656.jpg

0408201657.jpg

0408201656a.jpg

Next to one of my Tomytec locos. It dwarfs the tiny Plymouth diesels even though it's still sooooo small!

0408201658.jpg

Long/Short hood details:

0408201658a.jpg

0408201658b.jpg

Roof Details:

0408201659.jpg

Underside:

0408201659a.jpg

cab interior:

0408201700.jpg

• Like 4
Need for High Speed
On 4/8/2020 at 5:40 PM, GDorsett said:

I'm going to put these here because the prototype was built by Japan and I'm going to be running it on a Japanese themed layout.

New toy fresh from Taiwan; a diesel locomotive for the Alishan forest railway!

Built by the tiny Ane Model company, I am impressed with everything I see here. The packaging is extremely nice, lots of soft, dense foam and no plastic.

Details are good all the way around.

On 4/8/2020 at 5:40 PM, GDorsett said:

0408201658b.jpg

Oh Wow you actually bought one of those? About a year ago I was chatting with some one from ANE Model online and they were telling me about the model train culture in China and Taiwan. One thing they did say was that they were working with various people in Taiwan to get a train club going because in main land china apparently it is more difficult to set clubs and groups because it makes the government uncomfortable. how ever they were talking about how a lot of Chinese were just learning the concept of a layout and that they were working on teaching people how to build simple HO layouts and adding scenery and what not.

Although every one I've asked from China about train shows has told me they go to japan for those, which makes sense. although I think their is a small club in Hong Kong.

Edited by Need for High Speed
  • Like 1

Just received my Tomix JNR Spec ED78 to team up with my EF71. Not many left in stock anywhere but managed to find one on Yodobashi.com. It came today and unpacked to find some minor damage. Yey and Boo in equal measure!!

Ive contacted Yodobashi.com so hopefully they’ll give me a satisfactory solution. I’m sure it could be glued but it’s a bit of a downer on the new addition.

Ideal would be a replacement piece but we’ll see what they say.

8044AE39-611C-4D89-882C-6DFC035875F1.jpeg

CD6CFC22-A810-4D3F-8CAE-FC4639158FE6.jpeg

• Like 3

Given the price of Tomix 1:80 locos the least they can do is send you a replacement part. I love these little four axle electrics but there's no way I can justify one!