What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

1 minute ago, al camino said:

I had been courageous and used super glue. The one that is not high liquid. The only problem was I had to place the placards correctly with the first attempt. I think I made it 98% good.

I used to be courageous about using super glue. The problem was years later when I wanted to take something apart to make an adjustment that I didn't even think of doing at build time. Just a thought.

53 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

I used to be courageous about using super glue. The problem was years later when I wanted to take something apart to make an adjustment that I didn't even think of doing at build time. Just a thought.

I am more concerned about durability of super glue. While fiddeling with quite some items of my collection stuff this X-Mas vacation I found lots of parts falling apart. They had been glued to in the 80ies and 90ies of las century.

• Like 1

The newer gel "powerflex" superglues seem pretty good at resisting sharp knocks. They have rubber particles suspended in the solution, so remain very slightly flexible when dry.

Martijn Meerts

Seems my H0j WAFU122000 finally arrived at customs in the Netherlands, took almost a month to get there.

shadowtiger25

Tramway Kahi 23 (powered) and 53 (unpowered)

The 23 is going to be a challenge to put DCC in to.. does anyone know of a guide online?

photo4992643158408013949.thumb.jpg.656f5c4e9317f765c8728c18f2305900.jpg

• Like 4
shadowtiger25
3 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Those look beautiful!  I love the detail on them.

They are nice models, how ever the under frame and rooftop parts pop off really easy so they all need glued. also, hardwiring DCC in the 23 will be difficult

• Like 1

Be sure to share your progress, I'm tempted to pick up some HO kihas from tramway myself and it'll be nice to know how the install goes.

The Tenshodo KuMoYa has been testing. Currently purring quietly around at a reasonable scale speed. I've fitted some spare Kato knuckles for now as Kadees won't fit back in the box, but will probably have a Tomix TN at the unpowered end and one of the double headed Tomix couplers at the motor end eventually. What I can't make sense of is which TN coupler will actually fit.

Bonus shot of the surviving contents of my very first train set circa 1986 too, there was a blue coach in the set which I've yet to find a replacement for, but the red one has been with me for almost as long. The Weetabix van is a replacement but most of the loco and the open wagon are original.

• Like 4

Wasn't really expecting to be posting in this Thread ever but... here I am with the first H0 Model I bought for myself in years.
337538377_Roco72146d.thumb.jpg.ad69f0403f20f7af25b957ccd0b5f894.jpg
Roco 72146, an ESU 58814 was added for DCC Sound

• Like 2

Kriegslok? I have the grey Marklin one (and an OBB BR50). Would like to add more variants but prices have got ridiculous now the pound has been crashed.

Edited by Welshbloke
Typo
1 hour ago, Welshbloke said:

Kriegslok? I have the grey Marklin one (and an OBB BR50). Would like to add more variants but prices have got ridiculous now the pound has been crashed.

SNCB actually... apparently was in service from 1944 to 1957

Yep, I think pretty much every country bordering Germany ended up with some. Even the USSR looted them, although the effort of regauging them must have made it borderline pointless. Germany did all sorts of rebuilds using mixtures of BR50 and BR52 parts to assemble good locomotives from multiple poorer examples, hence finding all sorts of combinations of cabs, boilers and tenders.

Mine mostly run with CFL Wegmann coaches to represent a steam railtour. I do have five Epoch II thunderboxes which are occasionally sent out behind the grey BR52 in the guise of a filming contract, given how frequently inaccurate combinations are seen on screen this passes pretty well!

• Like 1

Got an order into shapeways in Holland before brexit potentially screws everything up.

3  z scale generic commercial vehicles from Steffens Z Bahn shop, I have already got a couple and they are nicely printed but a little fragile and two streetcars from stonysmith designed to fit the Rokuhan shorty chassis. I was inspired to do the on the new layout as I keepp going back to a book by Ralph Forty called Sayonara Streetcar which is full of pictures from the time he was in Japan in the late 50s early 60s serving with the US Navy. It covers 29 different tramways and interurbans.large.1852460834_Sayonara001resize.jpg.6bcb7398eb3aeb4ee3b1656b09fbe53b.jpg

Bizarrely I picked this up in a second hand shop in Ulverston in North west England, it was the only railway book in the whole shop!

Seen fresh from the ultrasonic cleaning bath

large.1679805761_IMG_1948resize.jpg.616fe047124fc5f2c4e620239aebb72f.jpg

fitted with Plus Z pantographs, I though about trolley poles but I might give them a run on the mainlines at some stage

large.IMG_1953resize.jpg.f0406e89aeb39e50e55009c9e8be059e.jpg

Kev

• Like 3

New order of odds and ends

First, two more rerailers.

0125200959.jpg

Second, a pack of catenary poles. I mainly ordered them for use on Japanese themed layout pieces, but we'll see if I cna use them on american areas as well.

0125201000.jpg

Third, Fourth and fifth, some loose ends tied up. I ordered that store's last EF65-2000 since I bought the other two, guess I have three now.
Also got a powered KiHa 58 and an unpowered KiRo 28. Just goign to be a branch line set for now, although I would like to eventually have a full train of KiHas.

0125201000a.jpg

• Like 2

I was mildly dissapointed to see that the motour take sup both moulded engines and not one, meaning I can't swap the drivetrain into the other KiHa models. That issue was immediately remedied by seeing that both trucks are powered and that there is an 8-pin DCC plug inside, meaning that it'll be an absurdly easy conversion, buuuuut now I have to buy another decoder. Soldering in a decoder into one of the other cars for the other end of the train should be interesting, though...

0125201022.jpg

The train now:

Please pardon the akward camera angles and messy desk. Lots of projects scattered about...

0125201214.jpg

One of the 65s I ordered several months ago, embedded upside down of course.

0125201214a.jpg

The other 65 sandwiched up against the Kiro 28:

0125201214b.jpg

I am loving the details on these cars. Hopefully they run as well as the rest of the Kato stock I have.

Edited by GDorsett
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, GDorsett said:

I was mildly dissapointed to see that the motour take sup both moulded engines and not one, meaning I can't swap the drivetrain into the other KiHa models.

I was also disappointed about a similar situation with my KIHA80-82s.

1 hour ago, GDorsett said:

I am loving the details on these cars. Hopefully they run as well as the rest of the Kato stock I have.

I bet they will run as well.

All my Katos (JNR, DB, ATSF, UP and SP) do so.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, al camino said:

I bet they will run as well.

All my Katos (JNR, DB, ATSF, UP and SP) do so.

The two Kato locos that I do have and have used a lot run well, being a DE10 and an EF510-500. I have't gotten to properly run the EF65s yet, although that will change next weekend when I intend to run only Japanese trains instead of my usual menagerie or random assorted stuff. A club mate has a fleet of ALCo RS2 locomotives from Kato that he uses to pull obnoxiously long trains. His record on the layout is something like 126 cars and he used six of those little RS2s.

I just realized how many people I need to buy in order to fill my passenger trains...
Seven car train of OhAs, four car train of KiHas...
Ten car train of American bi-level cars...

Oh dear...

shadowtiger25
19 hours ago, GDorsett said:

I just realized how many people I need to buy in order to fill my passenger trains...
Seven car train of OhAs, four car train of KiHas...
Ten car train of American bi-level cars...

Oh dear...

you can buy unpainted ones for really cheep on ebay. grab some friends and have them help paint. its what I did to fill up mine

6 hours ago, shadowtiger25 said:

you can buy unpainted ones for really cheep on ebay. grab some friends and have them help paint. its what I did to fill up mine

That's what I'll be doing for my American trains. My mother loves painting figures, so I'll probably just get a big bag of HO figures and send them to her to sit down for a few hours and paint em all up. That said, for the 1/80 Japanese stuff, I'll be ordering 1/80 scale people and see how far apart their size is before I spend the money on enough of either scale to fill said Japanese train.

No Garrett we aren’t doing that at the next club meeting! I painted way too many 15 and 25mm tin soldiers as a kid for a job. I can’t watch mash without smelling lacquer paints as I use to watch tv while painting them (we were paid by the piece).

jeff

• Haha 2
On 1/20/2020 at 6:58 AM, al camino said:

I had been courageous and used super glue. The one that is not high liquid. The only problem was I had to place the placards correctly with the first attempt. I think I made it 98% good.

I'm not a fan of using superglue for jobs like this. Apart from having to get the position right on the first attempt, I don't like the white residue or fogging it often causes.

Cheers,

Mark.

shadowtiger25
2 hours ago, GDorsett said:

That's what I'll be doing for my American trains. My mother loves painting figures, so I'll probably just get a big bag of HO figures and send them to her to sit down for a few hours and paint em all up. That said, for the 1/80 Japanese stuff, I'll be ordering 1/80 scale people and see how far apart their size is before I spend the money on enough of either scale to fill said Japanese train.

1/87 worked for mine. 1/100 is to small, and the 1/80 are just slightly to big.

PVA is great for this sort of gluing as it’s pretty sturdy on plastic but transparent and will not effect other plastics and is reversible with a quick snap or just a drop of moisture and a few minutes patience. I like the tacky versions as they hold things in place well by setting.

jeff