What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

1 hour ago, GDorsett said:

Which makes sense, but then you see coaches from Europe and they look completely different.

They do?  Look at European coaches from about the same time period...

On 1/8/2020 at 2:18 AM, marknewton said:

Hi Mark

I see your TAKI has same bowed frame as mine.

I've got mine last year (last Monday of the year).

Yesterday I replaced one of the great looking but nonfunctional couplers by a Kadee to make it compatible to the remaining rolling stock.
To get rid of the bowed frame I relesed the long center screw that runs from the bottom up the dome.

I little disappointed I was about the missing lettering sheet of the A TAKI (without number an extra signs).

spacer.png

Edited by al camino
changed some words for better understanding
  • Like 1
On 1/9/2020 at 9:49 AM, al camino said:

Here are mine with Kadee only on one side each.

WAMU90000(Kato) - 2*TAKI - SEKI8000(Model Icon with McHenry coupler and Endo Wheels)

IMGP5262 - Kopie - Kopie.JPG

• Like 2
On 1/7/2020 at 7:09 AM, shadowtiger25 said:

I used the Hunslet 2-6-0 Z27 Class (FT) as my template for the C56

That's an interesting choice. Preserved engine 2705 is one I'm very familiar with, I've fired it on a number of trips. 

Was it because the 27 is a 2-6-0, or because it has a Nathan 5-chime whistle similar to the C56? The 27 has a softer exhaust than a C56 as it's a saturated engine with slide valves, but the whistle sounds would be a close match. 

All the best,

Mark.

spacer.png

On 1/9/2020 at 7:49 PM, al camino said:

I see your TAKI has same bowed frame as mine. Yesterday I replaced one of the great looking but nonfunctional couplers by a Kadee to make it compatible to the remaining rolling stock. To get rid of the bowed frame I relesed the long center screw that runs from the bottom up the dome.

I little disappointed I was about the missing lettering sheet of the A TAKI (without number an extra signs).

Mine had a bowed frame only on one side, caused by the locating pins on the bottom of the ladder. I cut them off flush and the frame is now straight. I've backdated mine by replacing the trucks/bogies with Tomix TR-41s. Still haven't put the placards on or changed out the couplers yet. 🙂

spacer.png

• Like 2
shadowtiger25
6 hours ago, marknewton said:

That's an interesting choice. Preserved engine 2705 is one I'm very familiar with, I've fired it on a number of trips. 

Was it because the 27 is a 2-6-0, or because it has a Nathan 5-chime whistle similar to the C56? The 27 has a softer exhaust than a C56 as it's a saturated engine with slide valves, but the whistle sounds would be a close match. 

All the best,

Mark.

honestly, its because ESU has it as a template for full throttle steam.

however I did listen closely to many sound files on there and it sounded similar enough to use. I did take a recording of the JNR 7 chime whistle. Those are the main reasons. Im  a big fan of steam, but I never really got in to the technical side of them, I need to learn it, but never have 

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Not ordered anything, but there are a few things on my wish list. Can't quite decide what to do with them yet though

World Kougei has announced a re-release of a post-ww2 wamu 50000 box car. Could definitely use several of those considering that's more or less the setting I'm going for (late 50s to early 60s or so). They also have a tora 30000 which would fit in as well. Of course, these cars are around 100 euro each for the kit versions, and that's excluding wheels and couplers.

On the other hand, Westerwiese has recently done a re-run of a kiha 17 which is also very interesting. These are around 450 euro each excluding bogies and motor(s). They also don't include any interior by default, but they do have separate kits for that available. If I read it right, Westerwiese is also going to be re-releasing other kiha's such as the 10, 16 and 51.

Decisions, decisions ...

• Like 2
shadowtiger25

Ok, so I got this before I moved, and with the move, work, making sure college was paid for and getting a new dog I just never got around to posting about it.

I picked up a Zoukei-Mura type 0 shinkansen from the auction site. 12 car set, unfortunately with out DCC, but some digitrax 21 pin decoders will have it running soon.

I plan on pin washing the tops as the are super detailed, as well as filling them with passengers and a couple of drivers. when ever I manage to get around to it that is... the new puppy has taken much of my attention....

1198875212_photo4969736869457799367(1).thumb.jpg.39cae9b6cda68e22c7b6391463abc0dd.jpgphoto4969736869457799363.thumb.jpg.8c0795b9025eda9b35a5da27c7bdd7ab.jpgphoto4969736869457799366.thumb.jpg.6c8f523b91b83c6c0e1e2fb0c737e4f5.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Now that’s a month’s tuition! 

very nice!

jeff

Joke's on you, I don't go to college!

shadowtiger25
34 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Now that’s a month’s tuition! 

very nice!

jeff

yeah.. but I got scholarships. So I only had to pay for one book this semester.

Now to once again juggle full time school, work, my hobbies, a research project, chores, pets, bills and sleep... oh, and I cant forget about eating.. at least not a 3rd time...

• Haha 2

Beautiful model but they certainly charge accordingly.  When I was in school I saved up all my money from working in a machine shop to barely afford Japanese N scale, I'm glad I didn't have the HO bug at that time!

Now though, a HO shinkansen looks tempting... 😁

Edited by Kiha66
shadowtiger25
3 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Beautiful model but they certainly charge accordingly.  When I was in school I saved up all my money from working in a machine shop to barely afford Japanese N scale, I'm glad I didn't have the HO bug at that time!

Now though, a HO shinkansen looks tempting... 😁

I got it fairly cheep on the auction site. But I'm done buying for a while

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
shadowtiger25
17 hours ago, disturbman said:

That’s what we all said...

now I have it blocked on my computer.. cant be temped if I cant look for stuff.

Not that I didn't buy one last thing before I did.

• Haha 4

The Tenshodo SPUD for the KuMoYa arrived. I've installed it and wired the pickups but not tested it on track yet, just by touching a 9v battery to the terminals to confirm that it runs.

The package includes another set of ballast weights (so you end up with three spares, or a super heavyweight KuMoYa - I'm sticking with three as I'd rather it slipped than burn the motor out), mounting hardware for the bogie sideframes from the static model (and a different pattern which will presumably be fitted to the other unit they've announced), assorted screws, the mounting arm to fit the power bogie to a scratch or kitbuilt model and bolts/spacers for same.

It should be possible to fit one or two under the Plum 205 Series static model without too much hacking, using the Tenshodo trailer wheelset packs would get you pinpoint bearings and pickups on unpowered vehicles.

I'm not sure what you can reasonably expect a single motor bogie to haul without overstressing it, hopefully a couple of trailer vehicles won't lead to overheating as I fancy a dummy KuMoYa along with the KuMoRu/KuRu pair they announced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to save some budget. Endo's 小田急3100形 will come somewhen and I have to be prepared.

That's why I paused with the KuMoYas and wait for the KuMoRu/KuRu.

Also I think another Front-Porch-EF5* by Tenshodo is a must as long as the plastic version is available for a reasonable price. The announced metal version exceeds my budget for just a loco (unless it is gauge I). This is 50% more than the current ones. I was able to grab EF59 24 which was 50% of the new announced. I should have decided earlier for some of them. I love the "front porch" design as I also love the US EMD SD40-2 with the huge "front porch". I'd like to have a EF56 with steam generator and an EF15 because of different wheel arrrangement.

And yes I know the saved bucks of the KuMoYas will not do it anyway ...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

It should be possible to fit one or two under the Plum 205 Series static model without too much hacking, using the Tenshodo trailer wheelset packs would get you pinpoint bearings and pickups on unpowered vehicles.

That's good to know, it's one of the options I'm thinking about for powering them.

5 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

I'm not sure what you can reasonably expect a single motor bogie to haul without overstressing it,

I think I'd fit one motor bogie to each cab car, so they'd be hauling that and one trailer each maximum. But since the platform on the cameo layout is only long enough to accommodate three cars, the load will be less. 

Thanks for an informative post. 👍

Mark.

5 hours ago, al camino said:

Also I think another Front-Porch-EF5* by Tenshodo is a must as long as the plastic version is available for a reasonable price.

I have a Tenshodo plastic EF10. It's a lovely model.

spacer.png

Mark.

• Like 3

That's good to know, it's one of the options I'm thinking about for powering them.

I think I'd fit one motor bogie to each cab car, so they'd be hauling that and one trailer each maximum. But since the platform on the cameo layout is only long enough to accommodate three cars, the load will be less. 

Thanks for an informative post. 👍

Mark.

I'd put both motor bogies under one MoHa with as many ballast weights as I could hide, the KuHas can have trailer wheelsets and pickups if you want to add lighting. It is worth wiring them together, something none of the reviewers who got sneak preview samples appear to have done.

Just giving it a first track test on a simple length of Unitrack with the Kato DC controller. It's astonishingly good for an underfloor self-contained mechanism and I definitely plan to add the KuMoRu/KuRu to my fleet when they're released.

Couplings: The instructions state that one of the Tomix TN type with the close coupler mechanism will fit but needs something removing. They won't fit the motor end as there isn't enough clearance, so I might resort to the double headed Tomix ones for the EF64-1000 in Kadee boxes and springs there. If I can get any - Hobbysearch are saying sold out so I don't trust Plaza to be able to source any despite having them listed!

• Thanks 1

I tidied my workbench this afternoon and found my roll of double-sided tape, so I used it to put the Nippon Soda placards on the 5450. I also found the rattlecans I intend to paint the Keio cars with. If the weather cooperates tomorrow I'll start painting them.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

I tidied my workbench this afternoon and found my roll of double-sided tape, so I used it to put the Nippon Soda placards on the 5450.

I had been courageous and used super glue. The one that is not high liquid. The only problem was I had to place the placards correctly with the first attempt. I think I made it 98% good.