What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

No.

I only can assume the same "improvement" I found on my DD51 warm region (>20 years old) and DD51 cold region (2019 build) which is LEDs instead of bulbs.

• Thanks 1

I was a tad surprised how basic the DD51 is compared to, say, the DE10. But it's a good solid drivetrain which will easily handle well in excess of the prototype's trains and it can go down to R370 hauling KoKis without derailing. Would recommend as a first 1:80 loco, decent value for what you get. I'd imagine someone offers a detailing kit if you want to upgrade it?

2 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

I was a tad surprised how basic the DD51 is compared to, say, the DE10. But it's a good solid drivetrain which will easily handle well in excess of the prototype's trains and it can go down to R370 hauling KoKis without derailing. Would recommend as a first 1:80 loco, decent value for what you get. I'd imagine someone offers a detailing kit if you want to upgrade it?

What do you mean by "basic compared to the DE10"? My DE10 looks like a normal loco other than that it's a five axle.

I meant in terms of detailing parts. There seemed to be a lot more to fit on the DE10 having completed both types. The DE10 has a cab interior too, which the DD51 lacks.

Ah, okay.
Yeah, the DE10 has a LOT of railings to install and I was under the impression that the DD51 had similar railings along the sides/ends of the hoods/catwalks.

Is the middle truck the same mechanism as the bigger electrics? With powered end trucks like a traditional locomotive and the middle truck is unpowered and slides back/forth on a sprung clip?

Yep, central motor with driveshafts to both outer trucks, the centre one is an idler with a spring to help keep it on the rails (and a lot of side play).

The only handrails I had to fit to mine were the ones along the bonnets, the grab rails on the ends were already fitted. The DE10 was a lot more involved, although unlike some British models I've tried to add the supplied details to everything was the right size for the holes.

• Thanks 1

After a rather torrid trip home from the South Coast, this was waiting for me when we arrived this afternoon.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 5

Be interesting to see how it goes together!

My Tenshodo KuMoYa 145 arrived earlier, I've built the trailer bogie, added the ballast weights and the numbers. Will post some photos when the motor arrives, it got delayed and ended up as a second package. First impressions are good - the trailer axles have pinpoint pickups, the paintwork is of a good standard. I'll upgrade it with Tomix pantographs and couplers after my other pre-orders arrive.

• Like 2

Welp, I was weak and preordered the Kato rerelease of the Kiha 81 cab cars.  I put in an order for two, hopefully amazon.jp gets enough when they ship later this month.  They were pretty cheap, even less than amiami prices and shipping was only $14!

• Like 2
On 1/4/2020 at 7:34 AM, Welshbloke said:

My Tenshodo KuMoYa 145 arrived earlier...First impressions are good...

Sounds good. A mate of mine here in Sydney has one, he's impressed with it too. I'm wavering about getting one of these, but I think I'll wait for the Tokyu 7200 series cars.

6 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Welp, I was weak and preordered the Kato rerelease of the Kiha 81 cab cars.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. They're lovely models.

Cheers,

Mark.

Anyone have thoughts/inputs on the Kato C56? Tossing around the idea of acquiring one since one has popped up for a reasonable price...

Run good? Headlights at both ends? Decoder slot?

shadowtiger25
1 hour ago, GDorsett said:

Anyone have thoughts/inputs on the Kato C56? Tossing around the idea of acquiring one since one has popped up for a reasonable price...

Run good? Headlights at both ends? Decoder slot?

I think they run good, I have put 5 Kato wamu's and 3 Tenshodo passenger cars that I cant remember the type that are filled with people and are kind of heavy  and it pulls them well.

I have one from the custom shop with DCC in it, however it has no DCC plug, needs hard wired.

I want to say the rear is lit, but its been a little while since I ran it

1 hour ago, shadowtiger25 said:

I think they run good, I have put 5 Kato wamu's and 3 Tenshodo passenger cars that I cant remember the type that are filled with people and are kind of heavy  and it pulls them well.

I have one from the custom shop with DCC in it, however it has no DCC plug, needs hard wired.

I want to say the rear is lit, but its been a little while since I ran it

Is ot worth the extra 2 or 300 o get a DCC equipped model? My EF510 sounds alright, but the speakers leave a bit to be desired.

shadowtiger25
1 minute ago, GDorsett said:

Is ot worth the extra 2 or 300 o get a DCC equipped model? My EF510 sounds alright, but the speakers leave a bit to be desired.

it sounds like crap with the Kato shops sounds. However its loksound, so I made a custom sound profile using temples online and made it sound much better. You do need the lok-programmer for that though.... was it worth it? it depends on if you want sound and have the programmer and are willing to spend time learning how to make the sound profiles.

But if you can hard wire or know someone who can, I would get the analog model and hard wire a sound decoder from https://kmt.co.jp/brands/dcc/dcc_sound/ (which are Loksound decoders, I have 2, the c11 and class 9600. I love them). Which, personaly is the route that I would take if I had it to do over, as it costs about the same as the Custom shop model, with far better sound quality.

Anyway, I hope this helps with your decision. 

here is a video of the 9600, I need a better speaker, but it still sound good

Here is a video of the custom shops C56

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, shadowtiger25 said:

it sounds like crap with the Kato shops sounds. However its loksound, so I made a custom sound profile using temples online and made it sound much better. You do need the lok-programmer for that though.... was it worth it? it depends on if you want sound and have the programmer and are willing to spend time learning how to make the sound profiles.

But if you can hard wire or know someone who can, I would get the analog model and hard wire a sound decoder from https://kmt.co.jp/brands/dcc/dcc_sound/ (which are Loksound decoders, I have 2, the c11 and class 9600. I love them). Which, personaly is the route that I would take if I had it to do over, as it costs about the same as the Custom shop model, with far better sound quality.

Anyway, I hope this helps with your decision. 

here is a video of the 9600, I need a better speaker, but it still sound good

Here is a video of the custom shops C56

Much appreciated. Was considering cobbling my own sound ststem together. I don't personally have a programmer, but have friends/contractors who do some fabulous work that do have them.

shadowtiger25
1 minute ago, GDorsett said:

Much appreciated. Was considering cobbling my own sound ststem together. I don't personally have a programmer, but have friends/contractors who do some fabulous work that do have them.

if you find a good C56 whistle sound, or have someone put together a really good sound profile, I may be interested in a copy of the file .

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, shadowtiger25 said:

if you find a good C56 whistle sound, or have someone put together a really good sound profile, I may be interested in a copy of the file .

There enlies the issue. I can probably use the existing sound files for an American Mogul or Pacific steamer, but will need to find a whistle. The whistles have also stopped me from toying with DD51 and DE10 files. That, and their (relatively speaking) small engines have a much different, almost truck-like sound to them that I haven't found yet.

shadowtiger25
2 hours ago, GDorsett said:

There enlies the issue. I can probably use the existing sound files for an American Mogul or Pacific steamer, but will need to find a whistle. The whistles have also stopped me from toying with DD51 and DE10 files. That, and their (relatively speaking) small engines have a much different, almost truck-like sound to them that I haven't found yet.

try the V100.20 / BR212 file on http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/7?page=1&count=10&order=date&type=diesel&cat=7

its a diesel-hydraulic like the DD51 and DE10, and is what I will use as a template for my DD51's when I upgrade them to sound

as for the whistle I cut sounds from youtube videos. I just cant figure out how to make the sounds loop like they do with the sounds they make....

I used the Hunslet 2-6-0 Z27 Class (FT) as my template for the C56 http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/4?type=steam&order=date&country=au 

2 hours ago, shadowtiger25 said:

try the V100.20 / BR212 file on http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/7?page=1&count=10&order=date&type=diesel&cat=7

its a diesel-hydraulic like the DD51 and DE10, and is what I will use as a template for my DD51's when I upgrade them to sound

as for the whistle I cut sounds from youtube videos. I just cant figure out how to make the sounds loop like they do with the sounds they make....

I used the Hunslet 2-6-0 Z27 Class (FT) as my template for the C56 http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/4?type=steam&order=date&country=au 

Do you know if there is aw ay to rip sounds files from a decoder? Or copy sound files? I could use the whistle (and other sounds) from my EF510.

shadowtiger25
21 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

Do you know if there is aw ay to rip sounds files from a decoder? Or copy sound files? I could use the whistle (and other sounds) from my EF510.

No, sadly there is no way to do so. If there was i would have the sounds from my C11 on my C56 

If I ever do find a way, I will let you know. I have played with the idea of recording the sounds as they are played, I just have to find a way to do so

• Like 1
On 1/6/2020 at 12:27 PM, marknewton said:

Sounds good. A mate of mine here in Sydney has one, he's impressed with it too. I'm wavering about getting one of these, but I think I'll wait for the Tokyu 7200 series cars.

Cheers,

Mark.

I haven't had the motor yet, but judging by videos of them running it'll be great. I will be adding jumper wires to connect the trailing pickups to the motor, something which I've not seen any reviewers do so far but which Tenshodo clearly expect you to do. For the money I think it's excellent, you wouldn't get anything like this in the UK without spending twice as much.

I will post some photos once it's complete. Planning to seek a pair of the combination knuckle/Shibata couplers (intended for an EF64 but should fit the supplied draft gear boxes) and some replacement pantographs from Tomix after my Feb and March pre-orders have been paid for. Then hopefully Tenshodo will release the KuMoRu/KuRu set after my wallet has recovered!

Edit, I've fitted Kadee #5s to it for now using their own hardware and one of the spacers Tenshodo provide. Used the KoKi to check height:

Edited by Welshbloke
photos!
  • Like 2

Some additions to the freight and passenger car fleets - a TaKi5450 made by Model Icon and an Oha36 made by Tramway. The tank wagon is the first model from this manufacturer I've owned. I'm quite impressed with the quality, so I'll be looking to get some more. There are some separate etched brass placards that still have to be attached. The Oha36 has optional vestibule doors and glazing. As you expect from Tramway, it's a very nicely detailed and finished model.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, marknewton said:

Some additions to the freight and passenger car fleets - a TaKi5450 made by Model Icon and an Oha36 made by Tramway. The tank wagon is the first model from this manufacturer I've owned. I'm quite impressed with the quality, so I'll be looking to get some more. There are some separate etched brass placards that still have to be attached. The Oha36 has optional vestibule doors and glazing. As you expect from Tramway, it's a very nicely detailed and finished model.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

It's still strange to me seeing coaches that come from three completely different areas of the world (The US, Japan, and Australia) looking so similar.

6 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Same basic functional needs in the design?

jeff

Which makes sense, but then you see coaches from Europe and they look completely different.