What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

2 hours ago, Sheffie said:

wait, Koki 107s are blue?

I like the couplers though. Were those extra?

No 107s are grey, 104s are blue. I ordered 2 of each. Top picture has both. Perhaps a bit of confusion as the last picture has my new Tomix 104 (left) and Kato version (right) The Kato’s are infamous for having the wrong blue, which was also the case on the old N gauge ones with 18D containers (10-317) The N gauge ones look worse. Kato seemed to have rectified this in their recent N releases.

The grey coupler on the left Koki is standard. A lot of the HO coaching stock from Tomix is fitted with #5 Kadees but you get plastic couplers on their Kokis.

I like to use Kadee couplers as the standard Tomix ones on these create a  large gap. Preferably the #158 with a prototypical sized coupler head which I’ve used throughout my Kato HO Kokis and Takis.

As the Tomix Kokis come with an underset shank coupler I use the #147. 

You can see the slight difference in gap in the photo. Top set is a Kato 104 and Tomix 107. Bottom is the new Tomix 104 and 107. You can also clearly see the difference in blues 

283DCF1E-9E9B-4EF7-A37A-C867C80AFF25.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you're desperate for OHaNe 25s then look up the plastic kit ones branded Micro Ace/Arii. Really not bad models when painted and built, although the wheels desperately need changing and the bogies aren't much better. They are silly cheap though which helps.

I know I have a parcel waiting which is hopefully the KaNi 24 from the range, will add some work in progress shots to my topic about the OHaNeFu 25 when I get into it.

• Thanks 1

A pair of diecast Kanagawa Chuo Kotsu Mitsubishi Fuso buses, and a Tomytec Kanto FHI5E bus.

large.397CF581-3809-440D-ADC7-C564596EA8

large.09B50A6A-2B98-4131-850E-25443794D1

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 5

I like the hood type most.:thumbsup:

The green/cream one on the left is my favorite.

Guess why 😉

grafik.png.b6133df3762f029b30611ddeccaadd42.png

My ride still needs some "detailling"  ...

Hope to get it on the road soon.

Edited by al camino
  • Like 1
Martijn Meerts

I've just ordered an IMON H0j SL9600 kit from RG-Rokko. No idea what the exact price is going to be, or when I'll get it, but at least it's on order now.

Went with a version with split cab windows, 12-spoke wheels and a non-symmetrical air tank configuration. Not ordered any optional parts with it, I'm hoping the kit lists which optional parts are compatible. I'm thinking of possibly adding smoke deflectors, and maybe some other detail bits. It's already a very detailed kit, but I've seen pictures of a custom version with even more details, so I'll do some more research once it arrives.

With this, I guess my H0j / H0e project has truly started though 🙂

• Like 1

Hobby search wrote: The awaited item is available now !

The SUNI41 brass kit by Adachi https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10502564 was announced.

phuhh 😧 - one day after I finally decided to order the Tenshodo EF59 https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10019017 (after 8 month decision phase because of the KIHA80 and series 70 load earlier this year).

O.K. this car is a must to me.

The SUNI41 runs on TR203 trucks but the kit needs separate purchase of trucks.

The mentioned truck sets are not listed and not visible in the net (at least for me).

I found these truck on RESA10000 of Aclass (current available item) or KOKI(FU)10000 of KATO (long long ago).

These are fine rolling trucks and could be used. But to sacrifice one RESA the car is too expensive. Spare trucks would be a great solution.

Does anyone know where to get Aclass spare parts?

Edited by al camino
wrong truck type stated
shadowtiger25
On 9/2/2019 at 7:21 AM, Martijn Meerts said:

I've just ordered an IMON H0j SL9600 kit from RG-Rokko. No idea what the exact price is going to be, or when I'll get it, but at least it's on order now.

Went with a version with split cab windows, 12-spoke wheels and a non-symmetrical air tank configuration. Not ordered any optional parts with it, I'm hoping the kit lists which optional parts are compatible. I'm thinking of possibly adding smoke deflectors, and maybe some other detail bits. It's already a very detailed kit, but I've seen pictures of a custom version with even more details, so I'll do some more research once it arrives.

With this, I guess my H0j / H0e project has truly started though 🙂

I would like to get some 16.5mm brass engine kits, but I don't know where to even start looking, or what I want in them (well, maybe a C62-2 and -3 but I already have the Tenshodo diecast) 

where should I start looking? 

and what is the best way to work up my skills in making these kits?

7 hours ago, shadowtiger25 said:

I would like to get some 16.5mm brass engine kits, but I don't know where to even start looking, or what I want in them (well, maybe a C62-2 and -3 but I already have the Tenshodo diecast) 

World Kogei, Adachi, Sanyo and others make 16.5mm brass loco kits:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/3045/0/1

Apart from HS and other retailers, you often see unbuilt kits for sale on Yahoo! auctions. 

I think the the best way to develop your skills would be to start with a simple brass kit for a freight or passenger car, and start there.

Cheers,

Mark.

On 9/2/2019 at 3:34 PM, al camino said:

I like the hood type most.:thumbsup:

The green/cream one on the left is my favorite.

Guess why 😉

grafik.png.b6133df3762f029b30611ddeccaadd42.png

My ride still needs some "detailling"  ...

Hope to get it on the road soon.

Nice! Reminds me of the Mystery Machine in Scooby Doo.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Haha 1

I couldn’t convince my wife to name the new dog scooby doo, had to settle for astro... I think they both said rut ro.

No one under 35 seems to get astro.

jeff

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts
9 hours ago, shadowtiger25 said:

16.5mm should be much easier to get than 12mm ones. Hobby search has a lot of kits from World Kougei for example, which are very high quality. Also, check the Japanese page for RG-Rokko (http://railgallery-r.com/02_1_003ja.html), they have a lot of kits listed as well, and all the stuff on their Japanese page can ordered from abroad as well. Look for the 'nr 16 (H0)' category, that's 1/80 on 16.5mm

As for building them, you'll need a good soldering station, as the majority if the kit needs to be soldered. For small detail bits I normally use epoxy, since many of the detail are made of white metal, which has a low melting point. There are also a couple of additional tools you need, like a tap and die set, since none of the holes for screws are threaded. The only way to get good at it, is building some kits. You could try a couple of the cheaper kits, like an N-scale boxcar or something along those lines. Also, lots of patience is required 😉

Have a look at my gallery for an example of a small H0j steam locomotive, as well as these threads for some examples of N-scale kits (I've not actually finished most of my kits, and the first 2 I built kinda failed):

I keep looking for Katos, but they lack container options. How are the Tomix containers cars on detail compared to a Kato? And can Kato trucks be put on the Tomix koki?

The containers are just as good, but like Kato, need a bit of detailing and weathering to get rid of the plastic look. There’s no requirement to add stickers like you do on the Kato 19Ds. Car wise they’re as good on detail, just Kato have some mild suspension and the spinning axle boxes. There’s not much in it. My only gripe with Tomix cars is they can bend at the car ends whereas the Kato’s are solid. Tomix 104s are at least closer to the prototypical color but some weathering would hide that.

As for changing trucks, this would only be relevant for 104s as the 106, 107 and 200 have different trucks anyway. Also the fitting to the frame is different and could affect the ride height. 

You can can of course fit Tomix containers to Kato 104s. (See pics) The 31ft containers secure ok but the 12ft would need to be glued to stop them sliding around. Also the securing clip is molded onto the Kato containers whereas Tomix, it’s part of the Koki. See last photo.

A4FD9834-6A01-4F59-947F-914871810910.jpeg

DF44DC9E-5591-4EE2-B0A2-6CC33B506E1C.jpeg

AA3BF67F-17D0-4D1F-BA49-47E1F5AEAFB2.jpeg

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1

The Tomix KoKis come with three different clip-on fittings, depending whether you want to load containers which would use the ISO fittings on the real thing or the domestic 12' type. Or indeed no containers, the third type is for empty spaces. Tomix supply a small tool to remove them if you want to swap container types.

The Tomix KoKis are fine on continuous curves down to R370, I have a 106, two 107s and a 200 but see no reason why the 50000s and derivatives wouldn't cope. The rotating axle bearing caps on Kato stock are neat, but the Tomix ones are ludicrously free-rolling as the tradeoff for using pinpoint bearings. Tomix couplers will work with Kato but require a bit more force to couple, you can't nudge up to a train until you see them click without moving the stock.

So it would be better to continue to collect Kato cars and then just glue on Tomix containers than it would be to get Tomix cars and change trucks?

The reason I'd change trucks is for the spinning bearing caps. The only other companies I've seen do that is Scaletrains and their models are...a bit more expensive than the Katos.

What is different about the Kato/Tomix couplers? And are the Tomixs plastic as well? I have a few of the plastic dual-headed couplers from Tomix and they don't like Kadee metal couplers.

The Tomix couplers are plastic too, but the spring holding the knuckle closed is slightly stronger than the Kato one. They'll couple to Kadees happily enough.

Note that this assumes the Kato KoKis use the same couplers as their TaKi 43000s, which are my only Kato HO freight stock.

12 hours ago, marknewton said:

The Hobby Search page for the SuNi 41 has a link to another page for the TR203 bogies.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10637921

I mailed HS asking for the trucks and also if they could get the Aclass RESA10000/REMUFU10000 trucks as spare parts.

They quickly (!) replied with "... checked the Adachi bogie TR203 for you ... We have just created a page for you, so please place your order ..."

This was more than I expected 🙂

HS does a great job in my opinion.

Beside these 2 sources - the KATO KOKI10000 also runs on these trucks. I was able to grab a KATO 1-801 for the same money as the Adachi trucks are (plus shipping!).

So I will sacrifice the KOKI for the trucks and have 4 additional container.

If HS succeed with the Aclass trucks (for a reasonable price!) the KOKI will get her trucks again and be put on the track.

Does anyone of you knows anything about Aclass spare parts?

Reading the RESA/REMUFU instruction sheet I see the net address of Tramway with all their stuff - but no Aclass.

HS wrote: "This email is to inform you that we have completed the shipment of your ordered items mentioned below. [Transportation Method] EMS [Tracking Number] EL474...."

Yeah! Hopefully end of next week I either have to pay customs to the postman or have a 5km drive to the customs office.

There were some items "back order - Usually stocked within 21 days" which I ordered last week (~8 days ago). Good service!

And the high EMS shipping is far less than traveling to Japan 😉

Edited by al camino

I just found some pictures of Adachi SUNI40 with trucks.

This is what I was afraid of and confirms me to go for the KATO or Aclass TR203.

Have a look:

grafik.png

grafik.png

Edited by al camino
8 hours ago, GDorsett said:

What is different about the Kato/Tomix couplers? And are the Tomixs plastic as well? I have a few of the plastic dual-headed couplers from Tomix and they don't like Kadee metal couplers.

They’re just a slightly different shape but they do couple together. Just need a bit of force. I’m not a fan of either so I’ve changed out all mine for Kadees.

The Tomix ones also look way too long in my opinion. They have a tendency to move left or right rather than couple easily.

C3BD08E8-D731-4ABC-BD18-F800F4DA280F.jpeg