What was the first Japanese train you purchased?

Bernard

Guest JRF-1935

Sorry  :sad:  misunderstood the question - The EF-15 was the first locomotive I purchased - The First train I purchased was the Kato Seto Sunrise Express

Rich C

For me it was a Tomix DD51 locomotive that I purchased off ebay. I think it is an older version, doesn't seem as detailed as some of the current Tomix units.

N scale Micro ace c-11 171 (now 10 years old and runing strong,  still trying to get the right cars for it LOL),

kato Keikyu 500 kit (my first kit)

and Green max Tokaido 4 car kit(damaged in move :( )

Not N gauge, but I'm jumping into the fray anyway :P 

103 Series KuHa in sky Blue and a KiHa 40 from Eishindo in T Gauge. I also now have a full 103 set.

My 1st Japanese Train KATO N700 Basic Set and the 4 Car Add-on set which was picked up by a member of the Australian Japanese Model Railway Group while he was over in Japan. Sadly he is now living in Japan so if we order it we might try and send it to his place then he can ship it to us, that is if the item is only to be sold in Japan only. :P

Series 165 Shonan colour, Chuo main line express.  Full 8 car, 9 car or 12 car consist, including 2 x Saro (green cars) and 1 x Sahashi (buffet car) as it appeared in Kofu in the mid 1980's.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I bought my first Japanese railway model at a department store in the Ginza in Tokyo back in 1973 when I was passing through on a study tour to Indonesia. It was the Kato D51 2-8-2. I still have that model and it runs sweetly as ever! Later that year, I met a Japanese friend at a hobby shop in San Francisco where I was working at the time, and we began exchanging Japanese and American N scale trains. As they say, the rest is history.

- Paul Ingraham, AsiaNRail

Oh wow this is a long lost thread... Totally missed this...

Mine was the Tomix 800 series Tsubame... My first ever N scale train set, or in fact my first ever train set (if you don't count those from Lego).... Which has already left me as i'm turning away from modelling Kyushu and it's impossible to integrate a 800 series with and E5... 

Mine was the Tomix 800 series Tsubame... My first ever N scale train set, or in fact my first ever train set (if you don't count those from Lego).... Which has already left me as i'm turning away from modelling Kyushu and it's impossible to integrate a 800 series with and E5... 

But the 800 is 1000x sexier than the E5.  Shame on you. :laughing3:

First JP train for me was the 500 series Skinkansen.

Heh, I just used it as a reference for myself - I'd forgotten what my first was! (Kato 0 series shinkansen, a couple pages back.)

I finally updated that thing with the close couplers just a few months ago - looks great now!

But the 800 is 1000x sexier than the E5.  Shame on you. :laughing3:

First JP train for me was the 500 series Skinkansen.

HHmmm... But E6 is 500x sexier, together with E2, E3 and E4 added up is around 1500x sexier, hence overall the E-series is still 1000x sexier than the 800~~ :)

Heh, I just used it as a reference for myself - I'd forgotten what my first was! (Kato 0 series shinkansen, a couple pages back.)

I finally updated that thing with the close couplers just a few months ago - looks great now!

Nice ~ Close couplers are one of the things I always like to modify the train set. That can installation of interior lights. It sorts of complete the model with the interior being lighted up and look great running in the dark!

Come to think about it, my 2nd train set after the 800 series is the 321 series, which is also gone now as I THOUGHT I wanted to concentrate on JRE... Which brings me to think.. What is my third train set? Oh yah, it's my Tomix 500 series basic set, which I also gone now as I wanted the newer 500 series with power couplers... Then the 4th? I think it was the Kato E4 basic set but that's gone too since I started my E-series project to change all to Tomix..

Darn I cant really remember which is the train set which I first bought and is still with me now!  .....

Darn I cant really remember which is the train set which I first bought and is still with me now!  .....

I've never gotten rid of any of my Japanese trains - they're all still too new and few in number. I have gotten rid of quite a lot of my HO American stuff, though. I still have some but have toyed with selling the rest of it off and at least replacing it with N equivalents or just buying something else, since I just don't have the space for HO.

Anyway I couldn't remember if my first Japanese train was my 0 series or my Twilight Express; I knew I bought them within months of each other. Ironically I am just now also installing TN couplers on my Twilight Express. I bought the couplers with the train 3 or 4 years ago but I never put in the effort to figure out how to install them, and I was convinced they were the wrong couplers anyway. Last night I finally got to work, and after about 3 hours and four exploding trucks (and the requisite 30 minute search each time for tiny parts), I managed to get the EF81 and one car done. That'll teach me to work on my trains after three glasses of wine.

Edited by spacecadet

Last night I finally got to work, and after about 3 hours and four exploding trucks (and the requisite 30 minute search each time for tiny parts), I managed to get the EF81 and one car done. That'll teach me to work on my trains after three glasses of wine.

Ha that'll learn ya!

Use a piece of black or dark gray heavy flannel on your work bench and even drape into your lap (just remeber it's there when you stand up!) when you work on stuff like this. Really helps stop the ricochetting parts that go PING! And then find them as well w,o the hand and knees with a flashlight on the floor!

You are sposta have the wine while cleaning tracks! Pour alcohol into track cleaner car start it running then start pouring the alcohol into you!

Cheers

Jeff

Claude_Dreyfus

Ah...the joys of the 'pingfukit'... My bete noir tend to be those little brass strips Kato use as coupling springs or those builders plates which attach to the side of a loco.

An old but interesting thread. Mine was a... builds up tension... clichéd E231-500. Gotta love Kato for their quality stuff, but they don't really make many trains I like. I know, I have a niche taste in a niche branch of a already niche hobby. Even so, I'll keep the E231-500, I quite like it somehow.

Mine were two Hakone Tozan sets, a Modemo and a Tomix one bought with a bunch of Tomix mini rail track. The first mainline, cape gauge was a yokosuka color 113 series Kashima line set from Tomix.