Meiji-Mura halts operations of aging locomotives, trams

bill937ca

Meiji-Mura halts operations of aging locomotives, trams

NAGOYA, Dec. 19, Kyodo

Museum Meiji-Mura in Aichi Prefecture halted operations of its aging steam locomotives and streetcars after their runs Sunday, suspending the popular attractions after around 40 years of operations at the facility for an indefinite period.

The museum, in the city of Inuyama that preserves architecture from the Meiji Period (1868-1912), said the two steam locomotives and two trams require maintenance.

The British and American locomotives were imported in 1874 and 1912, respectively. The former operated between Tokyo and Yokohama, and was later employed by Nagoya Railroad Co. until 1957, while the latter operated in an iron mill in Kanagawa Prefecture until 1966. The streetcars, around 100 years old, were in service in the city of Kyoto until 1961.

''Many visitors came looking forward to riding on the trains. We don't know when it will be but we hope to resume services,'' said Mitsuru Fukuta, a streetcar conductor at the museum.

==Kyodo

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2010/12/62399.html

1219004-thumbx300.jpg

1219003-thumbx300.jpg

Museum English web site:

http://www.meijimura.com/english/index.html

We don't know when it will be but we hope to resume services.

Not a good sign.  JR Tokai- why don't you step in??

Meiji Mura is operated by Meitetsu. The last thing they want is JR stepping in. :)

We don't know when it will be but we hope to resume services.

Not a good sign.  JR Tokai- why don't you step in??

Meiji Mura is operated by Meitetsu. The last thing they want is JR stepping in. :)

Maybe that's the problem- a profitable company versus one saddled with a lot of red-ink producing branch lines.  I think not so long ago JR Tokai managed to get the steam motor on display at Meiji-mura moved out for display at their soon to be opened museum harborside.

I'd hazard a guess and say both steam locos need new boilers - which won't be cheap. Are Meitetsu still making money?

Cheers,

Mark.

Yes - Meitetsu is a profitable company.

This 20-page leaflet is a good presentation in English of Meitetsu from a business perspective. It has som highlights also for railfans. BTW, I didn't know that Oigawa Railway is owned by Meitetsu.

http://www.meitetsu.co.jp/english/profile/pdf/e11_profile_all.pdf

More surprisingly the Tono Railway is also a Meitetsu subsidiary. Given that the two railway lines which belonged to this company closed in the 1970's, what are they up to today, running buses?

Cheers NB

Why do I always find out about things when it's too late? ??? The Meiji-Mura museum looks interesting, a bit like Fairymead Heritage Park in Christchurch, NZ.

I've never spent much time on the Meitetsu and it's always been on my list of things to do on the next trip, but I always get sidetracked and end up somewhere else. There's too much to see in Japan. I never knew about them owning the Oigawa either, it's always seemed to me like a typical independent and impoverished shortline, I've even seen them running ex Kintetsu trains.

• Like 2
Yes - Meitetsu is a profitable company.

Good to know. Hopefully then the locos and trams won't be out of service for too long.

Cheers,

Mark.

...I never knew about them owning the Oigawa either, it's always seemed to me like a typical independent and impoverished shortline.

Oddly enough, I was long aware of Meitetsu owning the Oigawa, as it was mentioned in the 3-part publication "Electric Railways Of Japan". They also own the Hokuriku Railway.

Cheers,

Mark.