New JRM web articles

cteno4

Just starting a thread to add links to new articles as they come on line on the JRM website. a number coming up here this month.

If you have something you would like to write up give me a yell!

cheers

jeff

12.12.10 Fredric Waldorf's Home Layout - Yokoso Japan!:

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/fredslayout.html

12.13.10 New E5 & E6 Trains

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/prototypearticles/E5-E6.html

• Like 1

Really nice article by Ken and a nice page layout. Glad to see it posted at JRM.

(I couldn't find Brian's layout though.)

Ken Shore's Sumida Crossing

Not to be pedantic, but that's "Ken Shores' Sumida Crossing" (my surname has a terminal "s").  :grin

And I want to thank Jeff for asking me to write the article.  I hadn't really thought my layout was done enough yet (I know no layout is ever truly done, but mine's more raw than most).

Ken,

thanks fixed!

Big thanks to Ken and Brian for writing these. slowly trying to build up a nice variety of intro articles showing all the various ways folks are going at japanese rail modeling.

cheers

jeff

CaptOblivious

Not to be pedantic, but that's "Ken Shores' Sumida Crossing" (my surname has a terminal "s").  :grin

And I want to thank Jeff for asking me to write the article.  I hadn't really thought my layout was done enough yet (I know no layout is ever truly done, but mine's more raw than most).

The Happy Apostrophe Pendant says: "Shores's". Unless it belongs to more than one of you. ;)

Martijn,

thanks even your planning process is interesting, trying to get all sorts of things up on jrm for new folks to the hobby to see and think about, not just completed layouts!

cheers,

jeff

The Happy Apostrophe Pendant says: "Shores's". Unless it belongs to more than one of you. ;)

LOL, ill check with the lord of correctness, my mother. she's the most perfect editor i have ever worked with (and i have worked with a lot!) she is the kind that reads the dictionary for fun. had one large project with huge amounts of writing from pro writers and editors that then was going through a big gov contracter proofing firm here in DC and when i put a proofed sample past her it came up with like 5-10 red marks per page. that was the end of their $75K contract! they were pissed but when i showed them the pages they got very quiet, i think they were just hoping it did not get around town... i guess it was acceptable to have that many errors in gov docs!

i drive her nutz as im midway dyslexic and spelling and grammar are just not in my brain pattens...

cheers,

jeff

CaptOblivious

Jeff, I think I like your mom already. I'm never more than 10 feet from a copy of Strunk and White, and I'm ready to defend that choice.

HA, mom has a shelf of style guides and loves researching out who, why, when rules and usages changed! yes you would enjoy her. she use to send in notes to the newspapers when they did good boo boos!

in school i was just dubbed lazy or rebelling about spelling and grammar as i aced everything except that and my teachers knew of my mom's prowess in that area. it was hell for me though. one teacher told her its ok since she was sure i would be in a job with a secretary so they would take care of it for me. talk about something to really piss my mom off! wasnt until i was in my late 20s the dyslexia was diagnosed. one teacher in high school was sure i was but her reasons were exactly what i was trained to do in speed reading so chalked up to that!

cheers

jeff

I believe you are correct (I always have trouble with this).  It's plural nouns ending in "s" that get just an apostrophe.  My usual grammar reference is silent on the subject of singular nouns ending in "s", but the implication is that s-apostrophe-s is the correct form.

Martijn Meerts

i drive her nutz as im midway dyslexic and spelling and grammar are just not in my brain pattens...

I'm not dyslexic, but spelling and grammar are still not in my brain patterns ;)

I could blame it on the fact that in school we had to learn Dutch, English, German and French  grammar (although, I dropped French as soon as I was allowed to :)), but I guess it's more due to the fact that I never liked grammar in the first place =)

oh man i would have been a dropout at your school. language is hell for me except for picking up a few words/phrases its torture for me.

cheers

jeff

Jeff - Your mother must faint when she sees how people "text" today. The 1st text message I got I had to call my 16-year old niece to translate it for me. (It was the first time I saw LOL)  :laugh:

Luckily she is not that aware of texting or it would gall her!  she has pretty much given up on correcting the newspaper as the local one has really gone into the crapper. i guess some things do mellow with age!

i still use her in a pinch on small things that need to be perfect! it was funny as a couple of clients had some really critical grants they thought were perfect (the guy writing them prided himself in being a perfect speller/grammar/style person) and i put them past mom and they came back very red. took two grants in a row to finally convince them they were not so perfect! to their credit they hired her for ever grant after that!

cheers

jeff

a note from our club president expressing our heartfelt wishes for the safety of all our sister club's members and their families and friends in Iwate Japan and all the people effected there. Matthew lived in Iwatetsu for two years and made a lot of friends in the area and was active with their club.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/news/031211quake.html

cheers

jeff

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

The whole thing is bad enough as it is, but to have friends there who are still missing, that's just terrible...

Matthew spent two years there in iwatetsu and made a lot of good friends in the club that drew members from around iwate prefecture, some in the coastal cities hit hard. When he was returning to the states they threw him a party and presented him with many very nice gifts like an ho eh500 that is beautiful. he got the sister club arrangement going between IRC and JRM which both organizations have enjoyed.

Matthew will keep us posted as he hears more from them.

jeff

I just posted a nice little article that Mike did on the first part of creating Keitown tram layout

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/keitownpart1.html

he plans a part two once he is completed (is a layout ever completed though?!)

thanks again mike, great to keep showing all the different approached to japanese train modeling!

cheers

jeff

On the Pacific shores of Iwate, the JR Ofunato Line and Sanriku Railway Company lines suffered heavy damage in the March 11 earthquake and tsunami. On April 10th, Naoto Kodama of Iwate Rail Modelers' Circle (Japan Rail Modeler's sister club in Iwatetsu, Japan) traveled to the coast to witness and photograph the state of these railroads one month after the catastrophe.

Mr. Kodama wants to be sure everyone knows that these photos show just one small area in the hardest-hit part of Japan, and do not represent the conditions for all railroads in Japan. Elsewhere in Japan, you can ride trains just as safely as before. The rail system is still just as safe and punctual as it always has been.

some photos are posted up on the JRM website he provided.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/news/041511damage.html

jeff