Another layout for critique!

CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious

Here's a layout for critique, done in Tomix Finetrack. It's an over and under double loop. Steepest grade is 4%; of course, the shallowest grade is also 4% :D This compares favorably to the 4.5% grade that the standard Tomix risers create. Minimum radius is 243mm, but I've confirmed all the rolling stock that will run on this layout will handle it easily. Maximum radius us 317mm. The double-track curves are 280mm/317mm The brownish bits will be under a mountain, so only the grayish bits will be visible, from the front. Of course, I'll have access hatches all along the sides and back to reach those extensive tunnels.

Here's the concept. The bottom two tracks represent an double-track main line. The uppermost gray track is elevated, and represents a rural station (the gray rectangle). The hidden portions of the double-track are designed to be just long enough to hide a short train, allowing operation of two trains: one stops in hiding while the other runs, and they swap off in turn.

The whole thing will be operated with a basic Tomix throttle: No DCC for this layout—yet. I'd like to automate it some day, but I am not going to worry about that now. The track isn't going to be permanently affixed, so I can alter the wiring later.

Thoughts?

layout.gif

It has a very interesting running pattern and I like the fact that the viewer will be surprised at a different train coming out of hiding each time, but how about putting a yard in the layout? Could you add a yard in the middle area of the plan?

CaptOblivious

I cannot put a yard in the middle. 1) It will be beneath the village, making it hard to get at, even with cutouts behind and to the sides. 2) the tracks in back are on inclines, so I can't really make a yard off of them, and the tracks in front are the main display, and a yard coming off those would be distracting.

About doing all double-tracks: The principle aim of the layout is to have both a large double-track main, and a small single-track tertiary line represented in the same tight space. It also drastically reduces my costs (as the current plan requires only a handful of new track pieces, but a full double-track layout would require much I don't have).

Still, good thoughts! Keep them coming!

i like your idea, reminds me of my idea with the subway layout.  I think layouts are better when half the track is hidden and you cant see the train just doing a continuing loop.  By hiding track, you can surprise viewers with new trains, it makes for good youtube movies too.  It looks more like the each train that stops at the station is a different one than before, instead of just the same train going round and round and round.