Installing a DS51K1 decoder in a Kato #6 and #4 switch

David

surfingstephens

KVP,

When I got home I thought about what you said and ran a few more tests to see what would happen.  I placed a lit kato passenger car (newest type of leds) and it saw the car so that is good.  Not sure how much that draws power wise but it works.   I then found some resistors.  I had one that was 1k ohm.   I tried that accross the track and no problem it works.

What level of resister do people use on train cars?     I saw one web site that lead me to believe some people use 1k resistors, but having never done that I am not sure. 

At this point, I am breaking down my test area and getting geared up to wire the entire track.   I can start with one Zone and do some more testing before I get much further if you have a different resistor I should test it with.  

Thanks,

Jim

Resistor wheelsets are usually between 10k and 100k. 1k would mean a rake of 20 cars with 2 wheels each would be a total of 25 ohm, around the same load as a locomotive, which would need a lot of power especially on dcc.

The problem might only arise if you use more than one turnout and imho you should check with a decoder equipped cab car or with the car lights off and only the light decoder taking power. They should still be visible.

Edited by kvp
surfingstephens

Resistor wheelsets are usually between 10k and 100k. 1k would mean a rake of 20 cars with 2 wheels each would be a total of 25 ohm, around the same load as a locomotive, which would need a lot of power especially on dcc.

The problem might only arise if you use more than one turnout and imho you should check with a decoder equipped cab car or with the car lights off and only the light decoder taking power. They should still be visible.OK

OK.  When I get to a good point to do some more testing I will try out some more things and see if I can tell at what point it has issues.    I am starting to lay out my blocks and so far I don't have multiple switches in a block because I am doing the main line first with a few sidings.    When I get to my yard later on that, that may prove to me more of challenge.

Edited by surfingstephens
3 minutes ago, freescopesdad said:

can this decoder be installed EX-ternally to a kato #6 turnout and mounted under the layout? Not excited about opening up my turnouts.

Ron

Install anywhere.  But you still gonna need to open it up for power supply of chip and possibly power routing depending on the switch.

Has anyone had any success (or not) with programming these decoders using the ESU ECoS 50210?

I'll start by saying that I'm a newbie to DCC and just getting started with my first DCC layout. I'm using the ESU ECos 50210 as my command station and Kato Unitrack for the layout. I've tried following this fantastic tutorial, but have had some real difficulty in getting my turnouts working with the ECoS.

I've so far installed three of the DS51K1 into 2x #4 and 1x #6 turnout and I'm very confident that they are electronically sound, however they are simply not responding when I try to program them from the ECoS. I'm aware that these are devices from different manufacturers and that ECoS is a pretty advanced system so I wonder if there is some kind of trick to getting it to work.

I have included some images of the installation below, so if I've done something obviously wrong then please feel free to point that out! For the #4 turnout I have tried both of the methods suggested; 1) connecting the power wires to the track nuts (as in the photo), and to the power routing screws (as Kato Custom does).

I added the turnout to the ECoS as an accessory with an arbitrary address (101) and connected the turnout to the main track. Track current seems to be fine, and DCC signal should be good as my locos are running fine across the turnout.

I have used a multimeter to check that track current is flowing to the decoder power (black & red) wires, ensured the programming (yellow) wire is connected securely to the black, but there is no voltage at all on the motor wires (orange & grey) when I use ECoS to flip the turnout. I've taken a fresh decoder and connected the power wires (red, black + yellow) to the track and also used a multimeter to test for current across the motor wires, but also get nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

PXL_20230709_231057957_s.jpg

PXL_20230705_223902070s.jpg

BrendanS,

You have one of the Best Command Station that money can buy congrats on that. There is a lot to learn

on that Command Station but well worth the time and effort to learn everything.

As for your problem

I think the ECoS has a switch translation for Digitrax DS64 that uses the Board ID and port method.

Your switch address of 101 should be (26:1). You may need to use this value in the ECoS

as the DS51K1 may be doing some kind of translating in its firmware to match the DS64

Board ID method. 

image.png.2815714286722fe6f5961b3515d2b7a7.png

I can't test the theory out as I don't have a DS51K1.

Wait, I may be able to use a DS52. I have one of those.

Hold on....

Inobu

Edited by inobu
value error

I thought I has the DS51 but they were DS52's which are like the DS64.

I did have the NCE Switch Kat so I tested it. I was able to setup it up just like the DS51 and it worked no problem.

There was nothing extra you needed to do. I set the address as 101 as well.

I wish I had a DS51K1 as that would be a definitive test.

If anything I would back out the install and test each component separately.

Also note that the Protocol is set to DCC.

Inobu

Edited by inobu