JR West considering ending service on Wadamisaki Line

It's a little difficult to read this, and I'm not finding much other info online, but it appears that JR West is thinking about ending service on the 2-station (including Hyogo on the Sanyo Main Line) Wadamisaki Line.  I'm guessing this means passenger service as there's some industry down there that'll probably still want its rail service, Kawasaki Railcar in particular!

http://rail-uploader.khz-net.com/index.php?listing_count=50&id=929267

img20101204232654bf949.jpg

It seems the outward stated reason for shutting down the Wadamisaki Line is for economic development, namely to allow the widening of a canal to enable boat traffic (presumably tourist type) to pass through the district, but some have surmised the real reason is Kobe City wants to divert passengers to ride on the currently deficit ridden Kaigan Subway Line.  But the Wadamisaki Line provides an essential service to 10000 commuters daily, and is by no means a marginal line.

Seeing the Wadamisaki Line mentioned brought back memories, it was a bit different when I was there in 1990 though. DE10's anyone?

• Like 2

Yes, now it's electrified, and uses 103 series units.  Like the little section at about 7:22 with the seven car 181 series passing through Hyogo Station (Hamakaze?) in original JNR colors.

As Miyakoji mentioned, this line also serves as KHI rail access to the 1067mm network.  Shinkansen trainsets are shipped by sea.

Tokyo Metro 16000 series begins its journey, leaving the KHI Hyogo Plant unto the Wadamisaki Line, taken this summer:

• Like 1

Why would the govn't want to destroy a perfectly functioning line?  It connects with major industries and enables transport of people.  In another forum, I even heard that there are a decent amount of passenger using this line. 

What's worst is that the intention is to create a canal for tourism reasons??? 

I feel this is more like digging your own grave than a canal.  If the city govn't wants tourists, install a steam train in this line, IMHO.

If they are feeling generous, JR-W can sent a two car set here to the states. I think I can find it a good home to be used for a fixed model railroad club home. Car 1, model RR, car two, museum of Japaneses trains which would be a much better fate for it than *gasp turning it in to a library for children.

As Miyakoji mentioned, this line also serves as KHI rail access to the 1067mm network.  Shinkansen trainsets are shipped by sea.

Tokyo Metro 16000 series begins its journey, leaving the KHI Hyogo Plant unto the Wadamisaki Line, taken this summer:

Thanks for the video Bikkuri, I was not familiar with that youtube contributor.

You're welcome.  A good high quality segment I must say, many locations, this guy really gets around.

Yeah, I was thinking that but forgot to include it in my post!  First he's right there at KHI and by the end he's at that viaduct which must be somewhere near Atami.

Mudkip Orange

Why would the govn't want to destroy a perfectly functioning line?

The spur for the Kawasaki plant branches off only 1/4 mile from the junction with the Sanyo Line, and there are no industries beyond, so that leaves the rest of the right-of-way including one swing bridge and several level crossings to be fully abandoned.

The entrance for Wadamisaki Station (JR) is less than 100 feet from the entrance to the same-named station on the Kobe Subway Kaigan Line. The Kaigan Line provides the bulk of the service to the area, running 18-19 hours a day, whereas the Wadamisaki Line is a rush-hour-only service timed to coincide with shifts at the nearby Mitsubishi plants.

The fact that this line sees 10,000 riders a day shows that a decent number of Japanese would rather trundle along a charming, vintage rail corridor then ride an efficient, modern, and sterile rapid transit system. From a nostalgic perspective (the default for all US railfans), I can agree, it will be a shame if this line is closed.

On the flipside I can see why all the major parties involved would be for it. From the perspective of Kobe City they've already invested money in the subway and this is just service duplication. From the perspective of JR, this line is lined with streets and is easy to redevelop - just rip up the tracks and plat out the lots. Real estate development might ultimately prove to be more profitable than the net revenues from carting a few thousand Mitsu employees to their jobs every day.