Kato E5 Shinkansen

Hezekiah Strawbody

So Kato USA is going to sell them. The prices look much higher than the ones at Hobby Search.

Are you guys going to deal with the delay and variation of shipping from Japan or buy them through a Kato dealer in the USA?

I personally have to wait, the money variation is worth the cash, plus I spend too much at Hobby Search to go elsewhere anyway....  :grin :grin

So Kato USA is going to sell them. The prices look much higher than the ones at Hobby Search.

Are you guys going to deal with the delay and variation of shipping from Japan or buy them through a Kato dealer in the USA?

I personally have to wait, the money variation is worth the cash, plus I spend too much at Hobby Search to go elsewhere anyway....  :grin :grin

You're comparing the US MSRP to the Japanese street price. While buying directly from KatoUSA will likely be an option, online dealers will certainly sell for less, though MAP pricing may "prevent" them showing you that price until you add it to your shopping cart. For example Brooklyn locomotive works is taking preorders with a price of about $272 for the whole thing, compared with around $255 if you buy directly from Japan.

Guest Closed Account 1

For those that bought the entire E5 all at once, did you all receive mini book cases?

My B set (10-859) arrived in a 4 car book :)

The 3-car A set comes with a large case (6 slots), with room for both the starter set and the A set.  The 4-car B set comes in a small case with just room for it.

The starter set comes in the now standard styrofoam and cardboard packaging they use to keep the costs low for those small sets.

There are some E5s as well in the videos for comparison.  Personally I think the E6 looks like a shoe, the lights would be the holes for the laces.

Yes very curious myself how well they run. kato n700 was not fun with its uncoupling for me.

also has anyone heard more about if Kato has an exclusive on the E5 with JR?

cheers,

jeff

Buy from Japan. Always!!

no issues for either on my layout and i have a steep grade and short straights before switches.

but i only run 3 car so probably harder to derail in this setup

HS is now taking reservations for the E5. Plaza Japan was also offering three sets on pre-order for April 27 shipping.   :cool:

Guest Closed Account 1

Buy from Japan. Always!!

Yes I do!  Mine say made in Japan not hecho in Mexico.

Martijn Meerts

I've had the 10 car E5 running on a simple Finetrack oval for a while, no uncoupling or derailing. Also ran the thing at high speed without problems whatsoever. The oval isn't mounted on the table, just quickly put together, and it definitely not optimal.

That said, the couplers on the E5 do seem rather flimsy, can't imagine they'll stand up to regular coupling/uncoupling of the train ..

Encouraging news.

Strangely, I was unable to avoid purchasing the full 10 car set, even though my maximum consist will be ~7cars long, and my only other Shinkansen is an n500 with only 4 cars...  :confused5:

also has anyone heard more about if Kato has an exclusive on the E5 with JR?

It better not be... Sounds to me like the Kato E5 isn't exactly perfect...

Guest Closed Account 1

Got my second set of the E5 can set and the price is down 1000 yen.

All I need now is  another storage case to house the extra motor car and cabs, and the Set C.

Webskipper,

Any plans to attempt to replicate the fault that occurred on the club track ?? It would be good to nail down the cause ..... sssssssssssss :cool:

Cheers

The_Ghan

Guest Closed Account 1

Yes. The Club went to Williams, AZ for the show. Then the 'electrical guy" will find out why his loco melted as well.

Couldn't believe he was not being proactive. I mean. My TGV was expensive. I can't seem to get bogies and other bullet parts so I had to get a whole nuther E5 Falcon basic set.

Well it's landed in the US. As expected MB Klein has a whole pile of them (Looks like 40 basic sets and 30 of each addon). Pricing is $124 for the basic set, $284 for the whole thing.

BAH broke down and ordered the full set after a used one showed up on Popondetta for Y15,000... I blame the guys that started the rumor that Kato has exclusive rights to the set.