Kato E5 Shinkansen

Hezekiah Strawbody

I was in Osaka for work just yesterday, and happened to walk in 'accidentally' into a few stores. Low and behold, I was in Joshin Kids Land, and found a complete Kato E5 set (original 3 car, plus A and B). They also had the new Tsubame and N700 in stock also, but by the time i left, they were all sold out.

If anyone is willing to pay me 40,000 yen, I may just ship it to you.  :grin

Now there's two online dealers here in the States taking preorders for the next run. I'll have to stop by my local hobby shop this weekend to see if he got something from Kato announcing these. If so, I'll order thru him and save shipping!

Hey Traindork,

If you don't mind, can you tell me which two online dealers in US?  I want to add them to my bookmarks for future comparison and purchase.  :cheesy

Sure- www.blwnscale.com (Brooklyn Locomotive Works), and www.featherrivertrains.com.

On a side note, looking at that blwnscale.com website, why can't people in model railroading make a decent website? Personal pages and blogs are filled with tiny, un-zoomable pictures, and company websites tend to be unorganized messes of tiny, unzoomable pictures, flashing lights, and un-navigable indexes. I just thank the kami that the "blink" tag isn't usable any more. Otherwise, I'd feel like it's 1994 all over again :(

Edit: Well, maybe it is 1994 again. Everything they wanted to blink has just been converted into an animated GIF instead...

I hear you rankodd ... blew my "tacky" scale right off the dial. Also not very competitive on the DCC front.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Hey all

Got my E5 today, fantastic looking train, first run  with it was a bit disapointed, the motor car is a bit noisy ???

regards

brian

Guest Closed Account 1

Run that new motor for a while and it'll sound better.

FeatherRiver said they'll get their E5 in 45 days. Not waiting for them.

Got my E5 today, fantastic looking train, first run  with it was a bit disapointed, the motor car is a bit noisy ???

LOL I ran my N700-8000 around my track the other day and just thinking about this for a sec but shouldn't trains *be* noisy? I was thinking man the motor is a buzzy and not kato quiet, but then I thought it about it some more and figured what's the fun of silent trains?  :grin

Wouldn't it be cool if someday they could actually tune motor whine to make it sound semi realistic or even some how build some micro transmissions...

Guest Closed Account 1

Funny you should mention that.

Putting a fat can brushless motor into an Rc hydro will give it that turbine sound.

When they start using brushless motors in our bullets then we'll hear the same effect.

I have noticed that the locos I get from JP are noisy at first then they'll purr later. The ones I buy here don't seem to do that. Fresh out of the box syndrome.

For anyone looking to get one from the second run, it looks a crate of them have been allocated to KatoUSA (likely the source of the BLW and similar US shops reservations). For those that prefer to 'buy' instead of reserve or preorder your best bet may to stake out modeltrainstuff (or better yet, fill out the N scale notification form on their site so you get an email when they become available). I'm taking a wild guess that they'll get their standard allotment of 20 sets, which will all be sold on a first come, first serve basis.

http://www.katousa.com/N/JSE/E5.html

Guest Closed Account 1

For anyone looking to get one from the second run, it looks a crate of them have been allocated to KatoUSA (likely the source of the BLW and similar US shops reservations). For those that prefer to 'buy' instead of reserve or preorder your best bet may to stake out modeltrainstuff (or better yet, fill out the N scale notification form on their site so you get an email when they become available). I'm taking a wild guess that they'll get their standard allotment of 20 sets, which will all be sold on a first come, first serve basis.

http://www.katousa.com/N/JSE/E5.html

Kato USA will be importing a limited quantity of these sets for distribution in the United States in May 2011. Please contact your local hobby store to reserve your sets today! They want full retail! BS. I'll wait for HS. So quick to ship and that saves the 45 minute commute to the LHS.

Does your E5 sound like this?

Guest Closed Account 1

You can now place an order/pre-order for the item you have been waiting for.

[item Name]

Shinkansen Series E5 `Hayabusa` (Add-on B 4-Car Set) (Model Train)

[item URL]

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10134782

[store code]

The mid-set 10-858 is not yet available for reserve. Get on the email waiting list quick.

Nuts. I want the basic set and the 3-car expansion.

Missed ordering the basic by an hour or so. Had it sitting in my cart, but by the time I submitted the order it was out of stock :(

That may be my fault. I did manage to submit an order for the Basic and 4-car B set. Whether it goes through or not is another matter.

Guest Closed Account 1

Plaza Japan has 2 complete sets.

I just want my Addon set A.  The first 3 will be here tomorrow and the last 3 will be here in a week.

Time to order decoders.

ghan where's those pics ?

I'm still sneaking the add-on set home from work ....  :grin

Lol

Just tell her you won them