Kato E5 Shinkansen

Hezekiah Strawbody

I will not really worry about E5 sold out or not. Kato usually deliver to hobby shop several times. Even it really sold out, they will reproduce E5 for sure.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.  But in my case, I will wait for E6.  I have no desire at all for the E5, if I do in the future, I will just get one from the pre-owned stores in Japan.

• Like 1

I'll take an E6, too!

I think the E5 is a great looking train. And I really like the color.

If I can't find an E5 in the next few weeks, I'll get myself the E259 Narita Express as a consolation prize.  :grin

I don't know I like the color more than the e6's prototype. Plus e6 has only 7 cars or was that just for the test?

EDIT iphone mistakes ....

angusmclean

Be a bit of a wait wont it?  E6 not expected in use until 2015, and that was before March 11.

Angus

I don't know I like the color more than the e6's prototype. Plus e6 has only 7 cars or was that just for the test?

EDIT iphone mistakes ....

E6 is a "mini Shinkansen" it won't have much more cars as it's deigned to run on the lines used by 400 series and E3.

according to ngi next run is in may

★ E5 Shinkansen "Hayabusa" ★ additional production ended May Guide

We have launched last Sun E5 Shinkansen "Hayabusa" (No. :10-857-859) will be conducted by popular demand for additional production. Availability will be ending May 31.

May be released

10-857 E5系新幹線「はやぶさ」 基本セット(3両) 11,025円 10-857 E5 Shinkansen "Hayabusa" basic set (both 3) 11,025 yen

10-858 E5系新幹線「はやぶさ」 増結セットA(3両) 6,615円 10-858 E5 Shinkansen "Hayabusa" 増結 Set A (both 3) 6,615 yen

10-859 E5系新幹線「はやぶさ」 増結セットB(4両) 7,665円 10-859 E5 Shinkansen "Hayabusa" 増結 Set B (4 cars) 7,665 yen

yep i ordered the 3 car basic couldn't help my self i'll tell the wife i did overtime haah

Tell her while she's doing the vacuuming ... that way you can say you didn't mention it .... she simply wasn't paying attention at the time.

Cheers

The_Ghan

The funny thing is, when the first pictures of the E5 started showing up here (the prototype that is), most people thought it was really ugly. Yet by the sound of it, quite a few seem to have ordered one / want to order one ;)

It IS ugly but that doesn't make me one want one any less. If anything, I think ugly makes for interesting looking models.

That's right Clem, the E5 can only make the 0-2000 and 500 series look better!!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.  But in my case, I will wait for E6.  I have no desire at all for the E5, if I do in the future, I will just get one from the pre-owned stores in Japan.

I'm also squirrelling away some funds for one of these.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Martijn Meerts

I'll get the E6 as well, and run the E5 and E6 as a single consist. Should be interesting ;)

according to ngi next run is in may

★ E5 Shinkansen "Hayabusa" ★ additional production ended May Guide

We have launched last Sun E5 Shinkansen "Hayabusa" (No. :10-857-859) will be conducted by popular demand for additional production. Availability will be ending May 31.

May be released

10-857 E5系新幹線「はやぶさ」 基本セット(3両) 11,025円 10-857 E5 Shinkansen "Hayabusa" basic set (both 3) 11,025 yen

10-858 E5系新幹線「はやぶさ」 増結セットA(3両) 6,615円 10-858 E5 Shinkansen "Hayabusa" 増結 Set A (both 3) 6,615 yen

10-859 E5系新幹線「はやぶさ」 増結セットB(4両) 7,665円 10-859 E5 Shinkansen "Hayabusa" 増結 Set B (4 cars) 7,665 yen

Good news! But I'm still getting the E259 Narita Express as a consolation for having to wait soooo loooong....  :grin

No worries, I will fill my high speed fetish with some European and Chinese train sets in between.  :laugh:

Are Chinese trains available in N? I've only seen HO stuff by Bachmann and Taiwanese N scale, but they do look amazing considering they're Bachman (but so expensive)..

Hope they send payment request soon @ 86 cents ATM to yen at least 83 - 84 cents after paypal conversion

paypal seems to slip in the 2-3% international conversion that visa/mc charges and most ccs pass on. i use my own cc for the exchange on paypal payment (its a buried option to do this) and my cc does not charge the exchange fee so better rate by almost 3% usually to have my cc charged in yen than if i have paypal charge my cc in dollars.

some banks with their atm cards also pass a similar 'international conversion' fee along, some dont.

btw after many ccs started passing on the visa/mc charge along with a little themselves (i guess as its a place they can charge a fee) of up to 3% there has been some consumer push-back and some are now thinking of reducing or eliminating the charge. 3% does not sound like much, but it does add up on your train buying over time!

cheers,

jeff

paypal seems to slip in the 2-3% international conversion that visa/mc charges and most ccs pass on. i use my own cc for the exchange on paypal payment (its a buried option to do this) and my cc does not charge the exchange fee so better rate by almost 3% usually to have my cc charged in yen than if i have paypal charge my cc in dollars.

Are you sure about that? Have you actually compared Paypal's rate vs. the credit card company (which BTW the only way to do this would be to note what it would cost you for Paypal, then charge it to CC and wait till the charge shows up). I say this because I have not seen very many places that will just freely exchange money the spot rate. Any forex exchange business will charge money to do any conversion, and this goes for banks as well as CC. For me, I have a ton of credit cards and I find Paypal's rate is about the same as both my MC's and Visa.

No worries, I will fill my high speed fetish with some European and Chinese train sets in between.  :laugh:

Are Chinese trains available in N? I've only seen HO stuff by Bachmann and Taiwanese N scale, but they do look amazing considering they're Bachman (but so expensive)..

Nothing from the Bachmann in N Scale for the HS train sets yet, they are focusing mainly in HO.  But never say never...

My E5 Hayabusa Shinkansen 10 car set just arrived at work!  The whole office has gathered around to take a look - after ensuring I unpacked it wearing gloves and disposed of all packaging in two layers of plastic - washed my hands - wiped the boxes with a damp cloth and disposed of the cloth.  Geez!  We aren't taking any chances with radiation here!

Anyway, I've got to say, it looks impressive!  The colour scheme looks better on the model than it does in print, I must say. 

I like the couplers but am a bit concerned about the removeable nose cone pieces.  Only one of the cab cars includes a coupler in the nose, but both come with the removeable nose cone.  That cab car also has the on/off switch to control the cab lights, which are above the driver's head inside the cab.  It will be interesting to see how the lighting looks on the track.  Nose cone and couplers are available as spare parts, but a switch cannot be added to control the lights on the other cab car.

There are a few things in the brochure that I'd like a translation on:

1. Inside brochure, bottom left: what does it say about turn-outs?

2. Inside brochure, middle of middle page: This model is not DCC friendly, yet it mentions a DCC decoder in the section on interior lighting, why?

3. Inside brochure, right hand page top: what is the 62mm piece between the R315 and the straight? What is the Tomix equivalent?

Other than that, she's a sexy little puppy and I can't wait to play.  Sorry, no photos, I haven't got time at work ... maybe on the weekend.

Just confirming what I paid:

1. 10-857 Shinkansen Series E5 "Hayabusa" Basic 3-Car Set -                      Y8400

2. 10-858 Shinkansen Series E5 "Hayabusa" Add-on A 3-Car Set -                  Y5040

3. 10-859 Shinkansen Series E5 "Hayabusa" Add-on B 4-Car Set -                  Y5840

4. Shipping from Tokyo to Sydney EMS (Shipped Tuesday, arrived Thursday) - Y4000

At Y23,280 I think I got a good deal!!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

all light acessories show the dcc logo on the box and adverts now maybe thats what it signifying.

example any light acessories you purchase show dcc regardless if it's for a dcc friendly train or not

CaptOblivious

2. Inside brochure, middle of middle page: This model is not DCC friendly, yet it mentions a DCC decoder in the section on interior lighting, why?

Boo! Hiss! The Kato interior lighting DCC decoder is a drop-in replacement for the circuit board in the Kato interior lighting kits, is why it says that. So any model that can be fitted with Kato interior lights can be just as easily fitted with the FR11 or whatever it's called.

so yeah it's sold out again.

I have not receive a payment request :( i did get an email alst night that another item i ordered was not is stock so i said ship with out he replied ok but nothing yet.

also the e5 is hayabusa (falcon) whats the e6 being called ?

Im guessing that the chassis is the same as the 700 series.

No idea, but what makes you say that?  I know the E5 has a tilt mechanism, but I'm not sure the 700 does.  I'll have a good look over the weekend.

Cheers

The_Ghan