Kato E5 Shinkansen

Hezekiah Strawbody

Am I reading tha page right? 315mm minimum radius? I guess it makes sense, given the model, but still...

I thought this was standard for Kato Shinkansen ever since the E1 release but I could be wrong. I am sure you could get away with 282mm as well.

Am I reading tha page right? 315mm minimum radius? I guess it makes sense, given the model, but still...

I thought this was standard for Kato Shinkansen ever since the E1 release but I could be wrong. I am sure you could get away with 282mm as well.

I was under the same impression. My Kato 800 is 315mm too (and you can "get away" with 282mm if you don't mind the coupler stress and unintended leaning into curves).

At the end of the day 25m cars do start to look silly (and not just nitpicker silly) on smaller N scale curves.

CaptOblivious

Ah. I should check my E4 documentation. It runs fine (no leaning or obvious signs of coupler stress) on 280mm radius track, so I assumed that the stated turning radius must have been 282mm. My mistake!

Guest Closed Account 1

Yes. You don't want to run on standard 9.75 inch curves.  My Kato 800 showed me that. Then again it showed my Ntrak Club just how well it runs with the DT400 throttle maxed out at 99. Whoo hooo!

The bullets are crowd pleasers.

Looking forward to getting an E5 and E6.

Martijn Meerts

I've had my Tomix Dr.Yellow run at full speed through some Tomix elevated track sections. It's a good thing there's a wall on those sections, otherwise the Doc would've take a dive towards the floor ;)

Running at high speeds, they certainly do make a lot of noise, even the 7-car Dr. Yellow.

quick question i was contemplating gettig this was going to get basic set and then the set b 4 car. don't need the 3 car set right. i ca't really handle a full 10 ar set.

Guest Closed Account 1

quick question i was contemplating gettig this was going to get basic set and then the set b 4 car. don't need the 3 car set right. i ca't really handle a full 10 ar set.

Up to you.  Personally, I like running the full trains.

You only need the basic set, but you might want to add the three-car "A" set instead of the four-car "B" set, as it appears to add the case for the cars from the basic set (the Japanese version of Kato's page seems to say that anyway).

The expansion sets mostly just add unpowered cars.  The basic set will have the two cab cars and the motor car (Kato's description confirms the motor and the car numbers for the two cab cars there match the list in the Wikipedia entry)

Keitaro, the prototype runs only as a 10 car set, I believe.  There are plenty of reasons why you might choose not to run a full prototype.  In such a case, I don't think it matters which add-on you choose.

Cheers

The_Ghan

this ships on fri started to think I should have ordered this than the kiha 91  :laugh:

Oh well bet those who have it on order can't wait till they get to play with it next weekend hah

Hey Keitaro,

I reckon you'll be able to buy it.  There's been plenty of hype surrounding the prototype E5.  If it sells out Kato will release it again pretty soon.

I hope you manage to pick one up.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Guest Closed Account 1

this ships on fri started to think I should have ordered this than the kiha 91  :laugh:

Oh well bet those who have it on order can't wait till they get to play with it next weekend hah

Ships from whom?

released on fri hence should be shipped fri since store would most likely have it already the day before. According to Kato anyway.

Martijn Meerts

Got mine in the same order as the N700-8000 limited edition as well as the N700-7000 8 car set. The N700-8000 has been in stock for a while, no news on the N700-7000 yet, although it still says March. A shame I won't get my E5 before I leave for Washington, would've been fun running it on the JRM layout there :)

Guest Closed Account 1
shame I won't get my E5 before I leave for Washington, would've been fun running it on the JRM layout there :)

Send it to me here in AZ. It won't rust while you're away. :)

Seriously where did you see it available?

Martijn Meerts
shame I won't get my E5 before I leave for Washington, would've been fun running it on the JRM layout there :)

Send it to me here in AZ. It won't rust while you're away. :)

Seriously where did you see it available?

I pre-ordered it at HS the day this thread was created.. So it was ordered quite a while ago ;)

Guest Closed Account 1

Oh so it goes on reserve for a bit then to email list? Rats I'm on the email list so maybe that'll change tomorrow.

Martijn Meerts

I'm actually fairly certain Kato will just do an extra run if the E5 is sold out everywhere immediately. It seems to be a rather popular train, so it would make sense for them to manufacture as many of them as they can sell.

Of course, chances are Tomix is going to come out with an E5 of their own, and that one will probably have the all-wheel pickup.

Krackel Hopper

Looks like only 10 cars are numbered and 3 sets of 10-858 is needed to reach the 16 car mark. I liked the numbered cars.

The E5 is a 10 car set.. so I don't think Kato will make numbers any higher than that.

Guest Closed Account 1

Oh yeah I see now from the wiki. I see its available on a Japanese site but I cannot seem to register with a site translator. Oh well. I can wait a few days.

Martijn Meerts

E5 was released today, although HS is sold out already. Guess they (for the moment) only got enough to fill the pre-orders.

They did put up some more pictures of the thing on their site already though.