When the klaxon goes off at a platform

I was at Shinjuku tonight and had just taken photos of the 20:30 Hometown Odawara. Then there was a buzzing sound and a red light was flashing on the platform and another on a signal light before the platform. I wondered what was happening and saw some station personnel on the edge of adjacent platforms looking at the track between them. I thought that something had fallen onto the tracks. I later saw that a person was under the platform. I put away my camera and moved closer to see what was happening. One of the station personnel had put on reflective safety gear and went onto the tracks and helped the person back onto the tracks. I suspect that the person was inebriated and fell of the platform and crawled under the platform to get out of the way. It was all over in about two or three minutes. Very professional. Good thing no one was hurt.

The funny thing was that a couple of hours earlier, I saw a teen climb off the platform, about 20 meters from the same spot. I guess that that person had dropped something and decided to chance retrieving it. This was at the extreme south end opposite the Narita Express platform. So it's kinda out of the way.

No photos, sorry.

Don't want to see anything worse. But interesting night.

Grant

Based on what I see of conditions at Shinjuku Station, as well as say, Yokohama Station (a very narrow layout especially on the Tokaido Line platform), I wonder why there are not more people falling off the platforms. Many times the platforms are so crowded that you are forced to walk on the very edge of the platform, I can see the drunks easily falling off.